Author Topic: [IC] XT60  (Read 18651 times)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] XT60 (UPDATE 1 BELOW)
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 17:00:18 »
I'm curious what others think of the design as well, but I don't want to clog up this thread with that since this is for the 60% case design.

I've had a decent bit of experience regarding AutoCAD. In fact my father owns a ME firm so we're going to take a trip to his office tomorrow to get AutoCAD and SOLIDWORKS on my laptop so I can work on other projects that I had in mind. I'd be willing to help out wherever it's possible.

As for getting more popularity on this, although it pains me to say :p, have you shared this over on Reddit? I know they're a pretty big fan of 60%s and if it's compatible with the Pok3r I'm sure you could real in a fair bit of interest.

Edit: I think a PCB and Plate option could be beneficial as well, I was looking at LeandreN's 60% plates and they look really nice, I'm sure it couldn't be too difficult finding a source for the PCBs.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 17:11:46 »
I'm curious what others think of the design as well, but I don't want to clog up this thread with that since this is for the 60% case design.

I've had a decent bit of experience regarding AutoCAD. In fact my father owns a ME firm so we're going to take a trip to his office tomorrow to get AutoCAD and SOLIDWORKS on my laptop so I can work on other projects that I had in mind. I'd be willing to help out wherever it's possible.

As for getting more popularity on this, although it pains me to say :p, have you shared this over on Reddit? I know they're a pretty big fan of 60%s and if it's compatible with the Pok3r I'm sure you could real in a fair bit of interest.

Edit: I think a PCB and Plate option could be beneficial as well, I was looking at LeandreN's 60% plates and they look really nice, I'm sure it couldn't be too difficult finding a source for the PCBs.

Howdy mate! Glad to see you here.

I'm in Rio for the next couple of days and will be back to home town by Monday.

When I'm home, I'll start quoting our acrylic 60% case design and plates, with a local manufacturer. They make everything on acrylic and I'm fairly confident that they will be able to make what we need. I'm expecting very affordable prices.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 17:15:59 »

Howdy mate! Glad to see you here.

I'm in Rio for the next couple of days and will be back to home town by Monday.

When I'm home, I'll start quoting our acrylic 60% case design and plates, with a local manufacturer. They make everything on acrylic and I'm fairly confident that they will be able to make what we need. I'm expecting very affordable prices.

Hey there! Thanks, I like to work my way around geekhack. :p

That is awesome news, can't wait to see this come to fruition. Affordable prices can definitely drive in a lot a more interest. Safe travels! :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 17:25:45 »
Is there a reason you don't want to go ahead even with ~30?

Aluminium is currently the most popular but wildly the most expensive. I don't want to deter people with a massive price, but I don't want to give up on this yet :'(

Offline joey

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 17:30:53 »

Aluminium is currently the most popular but wildly the most expensive. I don't want to deter people with a massive price, but I don't want to give up on this yet :'(
Do you have any rough quotes?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 19:18:17 »

Do you have any rough quotes?

Not right now, but we have to pay for a custom fixture so therefore the price per case rises a lot. The first design is completely different to the final design so I feel that the two do not relate enough.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] XT60 - New update (1/4/16)
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 15:40:17 »
Ran into a bit of bad luck today. The company I was recommended to make acrylic versions no longer have the sufficient equipment to cut the case, so now I'll have to look into more companies around the UK about getting a acrylic quote. The aluminium company has yet to get back to me with a quote but he is usually good with communication and should have the price drop points tomorrow. They won't be final but they will be similar.

I'm waiting on my previous modeller to send me the final version, which involves very minor tweaks to the design to make it stronger whilst looking nicer. Not sure when that'll get to me but hopefully tomorrow. Literally just sent the message and since he is quite active it shouldn't be too hard.

Apart from that, going to start pushing to a wider audience and get some more people on board. The question I'll leave today for people to answer will be this: would you like to see a PCB/plate available in this? Let me know how you feel about that so I can do the relevant research.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 15:55:54 »
Ran into a bit of bad luck today. The company I was recommended to make acrylic versions no longer have the sufficient equipment to cut the case, so now I'll have to look into more companies around the UK about getting a acrylic quote. The aluminium company has yet to get back to me with a quote but he is usually good with communication and should have the price drop points tomorrow. They won't be final but they will be similar.

I'm waiting on my previous modeller to send me the final version, which involves very minor tweaks to the design to make it stronger whilst looking nicer. Not sure when that'll get to me but hopefully tomorrow. Literally just sent the message and since he is quite active it shouldn't be too hard.

Apart from that, going to start pushing to a wider audience and get some more people on board. The question I'll leave today for people to answer will be this: would you like to see a PCB/plate available in this? Let me know how you feel about that so I can do the relevant research.

If the PCB supported different layouts then your traditional poker layout, I would be interested for sure.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 17:01:25 »

If the PCB supported different layouts then your traditional poker layout, I would be interested for sure.

Such as a non-standard bottom row and ISO support?

Offline Arvid

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 01:40:28 »

Such as a non-standard bottom row and ISO support?
I would love to have a shorter space and more modifiers closer to the middle or something like Leekus split space.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 05:25:04 »
So have an option like the Japanese boards possibly?

Offline Arvid

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 04:32:52 »
So have an option like the Japanese boards possibly?

Yes that would be great, but I have yet to see someone complete such a project since not many people seem to like it there has been a few interest checks before like the AUNK https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73527.0.
Something like this http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/b2dc66f5c62c7d1c40c3664e60d66b3a is the layout I probably will handwire later this year if nothing close is on its way.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] XT60 - Waiting for quotes (01/09/2016)
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 19:36:39 »
Got the British quotes today - they're over $230 (for aluminum) which isn't ideal and it'll be a deal breaker for most people; this is for a very small quantity and will be numbered however. For now, we're going to do some research on outsourcing to Asia and see what sort of prices they can do. I can release the drop points and prices of plates and/or cases if requested by enough people but it ain't good.

In the meantime, I've been working on another design that can be managed around any size - the design is already suitable for 75% + CompactTKL sizes, with simple length changes. Development is still a long road but I know it'll be cheaper than this project.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] XT60 // Update in OP
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 14:16:56 »
Updated OP, added prices and general update.

Offline joey

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 14:25:00 »
In the meantime, I've been working on another design that can be managed around any size - the design is already suitable for 75% + CompactTKL sizes, with simple length changes. Development is still a long road but I know it'll be cheaper than this project.
Why do you say it can be cheaper?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 15:10:39 »
Why do you say it can be cheaper?

Smaller, simpler design. I'm still running this project until I find it unrealistic to do though.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 16:19:15 »
Shame about how expensive the cost is to get it made in the UK is but fantastic progress nonetheless

Offline joey

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 16:21:24 »
Shame about how expensive the cost is to get it made in the UK is but fantastic progress nonetheless
Just like the Mira, it's too expensive to make domestically.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 18:29:21 »
Far too expensive - I'm trying to get into contact with a few GHers that have had cases made from Asia, if anyone can help that'd be great.

Here's a small teaser for my next design:

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 21:52:03 »
Far too expensive - I'm trying to get into contact with a few GHers that have had cases made from Asia, if anyone can help that'd be great.

Show Image

Show Image

I really like the looks of that design.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 19:40:45 »
So tomorrow I should have Norwegian quotes from a friend; I feel like if they turn out too expensive too then this might be the end, simply due to the cost.

Response wise, I had 41 responses - 33 people chose aluminium, 8 for clear acrylic and 17 for frosted acrylic, this meant that aluminium is the only real option. Stock was the most popular color, with 22 votes, with black and purple slightly behind with 17 and 14 respectively. The other options were under 8 and not worth considering.

However, I won't give up on design work so my next project would be the case teased above. It still has to be designed in the appropriate CAD files so that's a short time away. Still have to figure out how to connect all the parts...

Offline Jedi

Re: [IC] XT60 // New Update About The Future
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 11:55:40 »
MiTo and myself are discussing selling this as a kit, so with a plate and a PCB. Are people interested in this option?

I think this is a interesting option but the price for aluminum vs cheap plastic will still make people if given the option to choose during a GB a hard sell since people will see the huge swing in price (say $125USD as opposed to the included "base case") and balk at the jump.  The market is getting saturated with aluminum, cheap plastic, and acrylic cases as it is and most of those are available today from the various mech dealers. 

I am however really loving the data pad option.  Mostly for two reasons, it makes sense to me when I buy into a keyset that I add the numpad kit.  Second, I do data entry a lot and even though I use a separate numpad from Topre, I would really prefer to punch the numbers on my TKL.

I love the detail you put into this buy.  Might want to hop over to DT and let them know about it as a percentage of the users over there are EU market.  This IC still has the potential to become a GB so don't drop it yet!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 12:38:27 »
MiTo and myself are discussing selling this as a kit, so with a plate and a PCB. Are people interested in this option?

I think this is a interesting option but the price for aluminum vs cheap plastic will still make people if given the option to choose during a GB a hard sell since people will see the huge swing in price (say $125USD as opposed to the included "base case") and balk at the jump.  The market is getting saturated with aluminum, cheap plastic, and acrylic cases as it is and most of those are available today from the various mech dealers. 

I am however really loving the data pad option.  Mostly for two reasons, it makes sense to me when I buy into a keyset that I add the numpad kit.  Second, I do data entry a lot and even though I use a separate numpad from Topre, I would really prefer to punch the numbers on my TKL.

I love the detail you put into this buy.  Might want to hop over to DT and let them know about it as a percentage of the users over there are EU market.  This IC still has the potential to become a GB so don't drop it yet!

The 60% market has definitely been getting flooded lately, however it seems like all the cases readily available are generally of the same look. It's pretty hard to get a FMJ or Hammer case so hopefully this will be another one to compare to.

As for spreading this over to DT, I honestly don't think that is a good option. DT generally is about fixing up old boards, creating new stuff, etc. Last time I shared a GB over there I nearly got my head bit off and was branded as being apart of a "omnipresent cult of death". I found it quite funny but GBs generally are not their cup of tea.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:12:14 »

Show Image

Show Image

Offline amharris

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:40:20 »

Show Image

Show Image

I presume without skimping on the quality?

Additionally, is there any news to be had on the frosted acrylic version in terms of price, even though it seems unlikely?
It'd be nice to open up the CAD design so that those who are keen enough to get one made can still do so of their own accord. (Opening it up post-GB would be more than understandable).

Cheers.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2016, 14:05:39 by amharris »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:27:43 »

First of all, I'd feel rude making an account on DT just to promote something, regardless of if they like it.

I think 60% is saturated too, especially with aluminum which makes this unrealistic without a major selling point at this current time. The cost cannot be justified for 99% of people.

I like the left handed number pad too, as my last RD keyboard had one on the left. I might see where this project goes and then afterwards find out which layout is the best, as I have 3 different designs in collab with Steezus.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

10/10 gif. We still need to figure out how to join it all :confused:

Show Image

Show Image

Additionally, is there any news to be had on the frosted acrylic version in terms of price, even though it seems unlikely?
It'd be nice to open up the CAD design so that those who are keen enough to get one made can still do so of their own accord. (Opening it up post-GB would be more than understandable).

Cheers.

I doubt the quality difference would be noticeable. I can research prices for acrylic but it'll be too expensive than I'd like to have it as not many would be made IMO. Opening up the CAD design would mean that I'm out of control of the case amount and the individual prices will be extremely high.

Offline amharris

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:38:02 »

Show Image

Show Image

Cheers.

I doubt the quality difference would be noticeable. I can research prices for acrylic but it'll be too expensive than I'd like to have it as not many would be made IMO. Opening up the CAD design would mean that I'm out of control of the case amount and the individual prices will be extremely high.

True ...but it gives people the freedom to make that choice and that's all I'm trying to get across and communicate as best I can. ;)
Additionally, someone else may strike some luck with getting it going. I'm just trying to keep an open mind.
It's practically perfect for me, as you know, so passing on the baton if one struggles to have success with it is often the most ethical thing to do. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:40:47 by amharris »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] XT60
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 19:00:11 »
Giving up on this; too expensive. Asian ventures never followed up with me.

I still sketch cases most days but don't know if I'll actually try and do anything for real, at least for now. Want to make a custom case for my WASD V2, or a TKL but need to make them decently priced whilst having a nice design for me to look at.

If anyone needs any technical specification based on 60% cases then feel free to PM me, as I've built a bank of information over the past couple of months.