Author Topic: Blue Alps NOS Keytrak  (Read 9302 times)

Offline Altis

Blue Alps NOS Keytrak
« on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 12:09:54 »
Not sure if it's a great deal, but it's a unique find.

Blue Alps NOS Keytrak on ebay in new-ish condition. The layout is funny but the switches are nice and these don't come up too often that I'm aware of in this condition.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-NOS-KEYTRAK-Blue-Alps-clicky-Computer-Keyboard-with-trakball-BOXED-2-/311514490150?hash=item4887b5e526:g:z80AAOSwNyFWgttp

EDIT:

I should note that I've bought one of these from the same seller (same ad, even) in my desperate attempt to get some Blue Alps. The board was clean and came with the box and all, but is definitely not new in box. In fact, the roller ball frame was very broken and one of the screw mounts is broken as well. There are a few signs of wear, even if the board is in good cosmetic condition.

I don't really regret buying it but it's bloody expensive and is definitely not brand new -- which is really what justifies such a high price, IMO. The switches in it are nice, though, and if you're looking for Blue Alps and money is not much of a concern, then this could be a good opportunity.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2016, 15:11:35 by Altis »
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Blue Alps NOS Keytrak
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 17:38:25 »
You were the one who bought the auction one? =o Sorry to hear it's not brand-new man, that's a shame :/ .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 18:43:42 »
Sorry to hear it's not brand-new man, that's a shame

Says the guy who got the only brand new straight-ANSI blue Alps keyboard in the universe for $5
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 18:54:20 »

Says the guy who got the only brand new straight-ANSI blue Alps keyboard in the universe for $5
$0 actually 8) .

But the whole point is I hope that everyone else gets one too though! Spread the Alps love!

Offline Altis

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:38:41 »
You were the one who bought the auction one? =o Sorry to hear it's not brand-new man, that's a shame :/ .

That was me! I couldn't help myself. I'm gearing up for end-game keyboards.

The keyboard is in pretty well perfect condition cosmetically, and the switches feel very nice and work well. So it's still a success. I wasn't going to use the trackball anyways, but it shows that it isn't brand new in box.

Blue Alps are certainly a very interesting switch. They remind me of a cross between NMB Clicky Space Invaders and Topre. The click itself isn't super tactile but the switch is.

I've added some sound deadening to the board and it sounds far more solid and less hollow now (I do this with all my boards).
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:55:53 »
I've added some sound deadening to the board and it sounds far more solid and less hollow now (I do this with all my boards).
Cool, glad to hear it still works great :) .

It's funny you mention a hollowness of sound. Blue Alps have a rather unique noise. they sound like you're punching right through the table. I first noticed this when I tried to film my typing teaser of the KB-101A with the camera touching the desk; the resulting sound on tape was almost DEAFENING. For some reason these switches have a particularly full sound , even compared to white Alps, and they transmit it through the whole keyboard as well as the table. I've witnessed this on dense as well as light chassis in other people's videos.

Someone made a video of an FK-2001 with blue Alps (drool) where he puts the camera on the desk at some point while typing too. Skip to 1:32.

Could you make a typing demo with your deadened board maybe? :D

Offline Altis

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 21:19:13 »
Cool, glad to hear it still works great :) .

It's funny you mention a hollowness of sound. Blue Alps have a rather unique noise. they sound like you're punching right through the table. I first noticed this when I tried to film my typing teaser of the KB-101A with the camera touching the desk; the resulting sound on tape was almost DEAFENING. For some reason these switches have a particularly full sound , even compared to white Alps, and they transmit it through the whole keyboard as well as the table. I've witnessed this on dense as well as light chassis in other people's videos.

Someone made a video of an FK-2001 with blue Alps (drool) where he puts the camera on the desk at some point while typing too. Skip to 1:32.

Could you make a typing demo with your deadened board maybe? :D

Certainly. I'll do it tomorrow since right now all you'll hear is the Hunger Games blasting next to my computer (girlfriend is on a binge-watch of the series).

It makes a huge difference to the hollowness of the sound and makes the board have less 'case sound' while retaining the switch sound. It kind of makes the keyboard sound in person like it does in videos, if that makes sense.

I have my Monterey Blue board out of its case entirely right now since the case made it sound very cheap and plasticky.

I'm quite particular when it comes to keyboards, in case you haven't noticed.  :-X

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 15:36:36 »
The Olivetti-looking Cherry font keycaps are pretty cool.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 22:44:52 »
Images rehosted to imgur for posterity, since the ebay listing page will inevitably go away:

Offline E3E

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 01:52:56 »
Not sure if it's a great deal, but it's a unique find.

Blue Alps NOS Keytrak on ebay in new-ish condition. The layout is funny but the switches are nice and these don't come up too often that I'm aware of in this condition.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-NOS-KEYTRAK-Blue-Alps-clicky-Computer-Keyboard-with-trakball-BOXED-2-/311514490150?hash=item4887b5e526:g:z80AAOSwNyFWgttp

EDIT:

I should note that I've bought one of these from the same seller (same ad, even) in my desperate attempt to get some Blue Alps. The board was clean and came with the box and all, but is definitely not new in box. In fact, the roller ball frame was very broken and one of the screw mounts is broken as well. There are a few signs of wear, even if the board is in good cosmetic condition.

I don't really regret buying it but it's bloody expensive and is definitely not brand new -- which is really what justifies such a high price, IMO. The switches in it are nice, though, and if you're looking for Blue Alps and money is not much of a concern, then this could be a good opportunity.

I really hope you put in a dispute with eBay for the item not being as described and got some of your money back at leasst! I definitely wouldn't eat that high price if the board came to me in somewhat rickety condition.

Hey, ohaimark got a Leading Edge DC-3014 in practically mint condition from an e-cycler. So there you go, another brand new straight-ANSI blue Alps keyboard in this lovely universe of ours. :P

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 03:33:59 »
Hey, ohaimark got a Leading Edge DC-3014 in practically mint condition from an e-cycler. So there you go, another brand new straight-ANSI blue Alps keyboard in this lovely universe of ours. :P
For what it's worth, the only thing I'd trade my KB-101A for is a KB-102A :p . The ANSI-ness is the only thing I don't like about the board xD .

Offline E3E

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 11:21:42 »
For what it's worth, the only thing I'd trade my KB-101A for is a KB-102A :p . The ANSI-ness is the only thing I don't like about the board xD .

True blue ISO fan, through and through.  :thumb:

I don't much feel like I care if it's ANSI. I can deal with a BAE or 1u backspace, though I did mod my FAME to be ANSI (it could also be natively ISO thanks to the PCB), haha. The DC-3014 is my ideal practical vintage board, and it's built like a tank and is the only vintage blue Alps board in ANSI that I know of with NKRO (which is awesome, just to have that versatility), but I wouldn't mind an Acer KB101A someday.

Have you checked the PCB on the Acer? It might be a 102-style PCB with an ISO enter position. I guess that might make it US ISO, but it could potentially have a short left shift position too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2016, 11:24:49 by E3E »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 14:51:51 »
I had an original Keycat Accodata board when I was young. Been looking for one forever, I'll never find one...UGH

Offline E3E

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 15:28:10 »
I had an original Keycat Accodata board when I was young. Been looking for one forever, I'll never find one...UGH

That's a shame man; webwit was selling one a few months ago on his store on Deskthority. :( I was up to buy it but I hesitated for a bit too long and missed out.

To be honest, a trackball board isn't my cup of tea anyway, but you know... It was that time when I was desperate for ANYTHING blue Alps, and before I had any blue Alps boards myself.

Good price too, only 80 EUR plus shipping.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 15:30:20 »

That's a shame man; webwit was selling one a few months ago on his store on Deskthority. :( I was up to buy it but I hesitated for a bit too long and missed out.

To be honest, a trackball board isn't my cup of tea anyway, but you know... It was that time when I was desperate for ANYTHING blue Alps, and before I had any blue Alps boards myself.

(*&S&^%^S%$DF(*&_)(#*$_)(@*#$_)(*ULSKDJF:LKSJDF) DAMN IT @#(*&@#OIJ$KJOLSDF)(I*U#$IJOSDF*)()(I*@#$ CRAP!!!

I would have bought that, one of the few boards I would just leave stock and never change a thing. So many DOS games played on that thing.

Offline frogthejam19

• Good Vibrations
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 12:22:17 »
Anyone willing to sell me one of their Blue Alps Board?
 ;D
"All is Well"

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 08:48:59 »

(*&S&^%^S%$DF(*&_)(#*$_)(@*#$_)(*ULSKDJF:LKSJDF) DAMN IT @#(*&@#OIJ$KJOLSDF)(I*U#$IJOSDF*)()(I*@#$ CRAP!!!

I would have bought that, one of the few boards I would just leave stock and never change a thing. So many DOS games played on that thing.

I wish I had come here with the one I found, it was a keycat ii.  Buyer wouldn't tell me what he was going to do with it.  Cord was cut but it was in great shape.  Didn't have blue alps though, they were white.

I wanted to post  because I didn't see much about them when I was trying to sell it... It's odd to read about it after the fact.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 07:54:38 »

Hmm, well, I've got an Acer KB-101a that a friend traded me for a Model M last year, and it has SKCM Blues and a standard layout. The case is somewhat yellowed, but it works fine. I do like how the switches feel, but I couldn't say they were as vastly special as many people make them out to be. For example, I don't think they're noticeably better than SMK Alps mount ("Monterey") switches. I suspect there's a bit of hysteria around them just because they don't appear often. Human nature can be funny.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline frogthejam19

• Good Vibrations
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 11:33:30 »

Hmm, well, I've got an Acer KB-101a that a friend traded me for a Model M last year, and it has SKCM Blues and a standard layout. The case is somewhat yellowed, but it works fine. I do like how the switches feel, but I couldn't say they were as vastly special as many people make them out to be. For example, I don't think they're noticeably better than SMK Alps mount ("Monterey") switches. I suspect there's a bit of hysteria around them just because they don't appear often. Human nature can be funny.

does that mean that you're open to trade or sell? :cool:
"All is Well"

Offline E3E

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 13:21:31 »

If you sacrifice an Acer KB101A for its switches, you are a terrible person. :P

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:08:02 »

I will hunt down and kill whoever does that :p .

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:02:20 »
Even I, an infamous and ruthless keyboard butcher, would not do it.

I only strip switches out of keyboards with retarded irritating layouts to use them to build something that I can use and enjoy. To me that is like transplanting a heart from someone already dead to save somebody else.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 03:55:45 »

Hmm, well, I've got an Acer KB-101a that a friend traded me for a Model M last year...

Nope, I like the board fine, and it's the only Blue Alps I have, so I'll be hanging onto it. I'm just amazed 'n' amused people make quite the fuss over them they do. They're a great switch, no argument there—but I can't help thinking a good deal of the fascination with them is simply because of their rarity compared to other Alpses. (I encourage the use of that pluralized form, BTW, because it sounds funny.)

I will hunt down and kill whoever does that :p .

Yeesh—when did I even suggest I was considering cannibalizing my board? There's nothing wrong with it; I'd much rather keep it original.

That someone as genteel as Chyros would, even in jest, threaten a rumoured Blues-harvester with bodily harm, seems like an indication of the kind of mania around these sapphire sliders. Under normal circumstances, Chyros could be the silken-voiced fellow out on the fairway quietly narrating a pro golf tournament. Introduce a few Alps Blues and he becomes a Hells Angel. This is the power these little azure actuators exert over people, apparently.

Even I, an infamous and ruthless keyboard butcher, would not do it... I only strip switches out of keyboards with retarded irritating layouts to use them to build something that I can use and enjoy. To me that is like transplanting a heart from someone already dead to save somebody else.

Perhaps a more accurate metaphor might be, "That's like transplanting a heart from someone who annoys me to someone who doesn't."  :?)

Anyway, no kidding, all I was doing here was responding to Fo's comment about the relative rarity of straight-ANSI boards with Blues. How anyone got the notion I was prepped to tear apart my KB-101A is beyond me. As they say in Hollywood, though: "There's no such thing as bad publicity." So thanks for the attention! I have now left the building.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline E3E

MURDER!?
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 14:03:06 »
Anyway, no kidding, all I was doing here was responding to Fo's comment about the relative rarity of straight-ANSI boards with Blues. How anyone got the notion I was prepped to tear apart my KB-101A is beyond me. As they say in Hollywood, though: "There's no such thing as bad publicity." So thanks for the attention! I have now left the building.

It wasn't over anything you've said, silly. :P

It was over the questionable intent of frogthejam19, in the Blue Alps NOS Keytrak thread, with the candle holder desoldering iron!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:31:04 »
I was actually enjoying the notion of being considered a KB anarchist, or any kind of anarchist. I live in the suburbs.