Author Topic: hi everyone  (Read 1262 times)

Offline lqf2b8

hi everyone
« on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:18:15 »
I am obviously new here but I have been reading the site for pointers on how to make your own keyboard.

I am probably a few weeks out from buying the components but I wanted to share my design and see if anyone had some advice about the layout before I start buying stuff.

here is my design:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/bf8a994f588f929ad81c

as you can see I didn't go for a super small design.

I need the function row because I work a lot in as400s and use them often.

I stuck mainly to a design at lot like the typematrix 2030 (dvorak)

The main diff is the ctrl and alt keys. I moved those to a spots hittable by the left thumb. I am getting in to emacs more and figured this would be an easy way to cut down on finger strain.

The emacs button in the upper right I am hoping to use it as a quick launcher but it was just a throw in to keep symmetry.

The 10 key button will convert the left half to a 10 key

Let me know if you think it will work or if you have any suggestions

Offline bcredbottle

Re: hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:31:56 »
Why not just get an Ergodox or a Diverge? They have thumb clusters, and four of the buttons on the thumb clusters are easily accessible on the Ergodox (the other two not so much)

Offline lqf2b8

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:40:27 »
I am not sold on a split board. I've never scene either in person but I just feel like they aren't travel friendly but I could be wrong. I am also not sure if I would like it being split as I am typing. If I could find a cheap one I might give it a try though. 

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 17:14:47 »
I am not sold on a split board. I've never scene either in person but I just feel like they aren't travel friendly but I could be wrong. I am also not sure if I would like it being split as I am typing. If I could find a cheap one I might give it a try though.

Split is as travel friendly if not more than one-piece board. You just put the two back halves facing each other and it's no bigger than a large sandwich. I won't go into how superior the layout is because that's explained amply elsewhere.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 00:12:44 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Not everyone looks through this section, so feel free to create a thread in making stuff together, which usually gets a bit more traffic.

As for your layout, interesting.  There seem to be a lot of ortholinear keyboard designs around lately!  The biggest difficulty is finding keycaps that will fit properly on it.  Might be something to keep in mind, especially with the size and shape of the larger keys.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ