Author Topic: [IC] Asphalt Keycaps  (Read 8712 times)

Offline No Hands 55

[IC] Asphalt Keycaps
« on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 23:44:35 »

Hello everyone! I would like to introduce my keyset, Asphalt.

For this design I wanted to capture the lower contrast and minimalism of asphalt, while mimicking the colors and adding the vibrant yellow of street markings. I posted a basic feedback thread on /r/mk for fun and it got some really good feedback so I thought I would continue this project.

Some info about the set:

• Signature Plastics ABS double shot
  • SA R3 Profile
...more info to come.

I am working on some better mockups and needing to get a few renders done. Below are screenshots of the current state of the set design. Feedback on the child sets would be very helpful, I was having difficulty deciding how to split them and what should be in each.

Yellow legend child sets were in consideration but removed to keep it simple and costs low. The same decision was made for icon modifiers and RGB child sets, feedback welcome. There are also a few novelty caps that are still being developed.

Thank you in advance for all the feedback and tips!

« Last Edit: Mon, 25 January 2016, 23:40:58 by No Hands 55 »

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
Re: [IC] Asphalt Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 23:56:25 »
Interesting concept! I would love to see some renders, though.
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 00:03:47 »
Has potential but be warned that DSA is probably the least popular profile family at the moment

I'd work on developing the novelties a bit more - maybe you could make them autobahn themed?

I would also consider changing the modifier legends to yellow

Offline HekusuTekusu

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 00:11:32 »
Could also try changing the light grey to yellow and keep the darker grey. Another one you could try is to change font color for the dark grey mods to yellow.
| Das 3 Ult MX BRW | PokerII MX BLK | KUL-ES87 MX CLR | Planck MX GRE | HHKB Pro JP |  CPSQ-1800 GAT BLK | HHKB Pro 2 | NYM96 GAT RED |

Offline Liocer

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 03:17:30 »
Just read on the reddit thread that this is changing to r3 sa, yay... Do you think you would consider some planck special 1u mods?
Lower, Upper, Enter, Tab, CTRL , Win, Apple key etc?

Love the colours and the low contrast, I think all yellow mods would spoil it and make it look really garish.

Offline p3lim

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 06:30:52 »
Looks nice, what colors are used in this (I'm assuming Signature Plastics)?

Offline 1deeg

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 06:48:00 »
How about a numpad kit?

Would something like this raise the cost significantly? Function row courtesy of MS Paint

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 07:28:26 »
Has potential

That's how I felt. Saw it a few months ago on reddit and felt meh about it. It depends how it's executed honestly.

Offline No Hands 55

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 09:16:59 »
Just read on the reddit thread that this is changing to r3 sa, yay... Do you think you would consider some planck special 1u mods?

Love the colours and the low contrast, I think all yellow mods would spoil it and make it look really garish.

Yes, I think if this gains traction i will definitely be developing a few more child sets for more board layouts and international. And the key profile I am still going back and forth on right now, I am waiting to see what more people say but SA R3 looks like it would be the most supported.

How about a numpad kit?

Would something like this raise the cost significantly? Function row courtesy of MS Paint

Numpad kit will be included, just don't have the screenshot right now. And it probably wouldn't as long as that one key is in the bonus kit but I will not be doing traffic signs sorry.

Offline No Hands 55

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 09:18:52 »
Has potential but be warned that DSA is probably the least popular profile family at the moment

I'd work on developing the novelties a bit more - maybe you could make them autobahn themed?

I would also consider changing the modifier legends to yellow

How would you feel about SA R3?

Has potential

That's how I felt. Saw it a few months ago on reddit and felt meh about it. It depends how it's executed honestly.

Anymore feedback? Why meh? What in your opinion would make it better?

Offline Liocer

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 13:36:54 »

Yes, I think if this gains traction i will definitely be developing a few more child sets for more board layouts and international. And the key profile I am still going back and forth on right now, I am waiting to see what more people say but SA R3 looks like it would be the most supported.

How about a numpad kit?

Numpad kit will be included, just don't have the screenshot right now. And it probably wouldn't as long as that one key is in the bonus kit but I will not be doing traffic signs sorry.

Have you used both DSA and SA? I like them both in their way but SA feels much higher quality. Due to the thickness of the caps. I also find them a lot more comfortable. But of course it's a very personal thing.  Good Luck!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 15:50:41 »
Has potential
Anymore feedback? Why meh? What in your opinion would make it better?
Depends on what keys are available, profile, price, audience, platform etc. ISO/Tsangan is a must IMO.

Offline No Hands 55

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 23:15:21 »

How about a numpad kit?

Have you used both DSA and SA? I like them both in their way but SA feels much higher quality. Due to the thickness of the caps. I also find them a lot more comfortable. But of course it's a very personal thing.  Good Luck!

I have not had the chance too. I have been hearing the same feedback so as of now I am deciding to go with SA R3 to try to satisfy as many as I can. Thanks for the feedback!