Author Topic: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards  (Read 571405 times)

Offline sam123456

Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #2700 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 13:57:54 »
I'm excited to see the dye sub progress. I decided that when I ordered one, I would order two sets of your keycaps and just not worry about the timing. After seeing how rigorous your standards are, I'm glad I did!

I'm just curious about one thing: what are the f-keys for? I didn't think you were selling any keyboards with an f row... did I miss something?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2701 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 17:12:36 »
Yep sam that is a good idea to get a spare key set because the key tops wear down after a few years of usage.  Check out the project web site blog to see an example of my original IBM F122 keys before and after a few years of usage.

The key sets for this project are full and include Function keys etc. so that they can be used on other buckling spring keyboards (Model M, original Model F).  Everyone ordering a key set gets the full set instead of just 62/77 keys.

Offline sam123456

« Reply #2702 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 15:23:33 »
Yep sam that is a good idea to get a spare key set because the key tops wear down after a few years of usage.  Check out the project web site blog to see an example of my original IBM F122 keys before and after a few years of usage.

The key sets for this project are full and include Function keys etc. so that they can be used on other buckling spring keyboards (Model M, original Model F).  Everyone ordering a key set gets the full set instead of just 62/77 keys.

Very nice! I just assumed I'd get 77 keys per set, but that's a pretty nice added bonus.

I'll be honest, I wasn't really thinking of longevity when I bought two sets of keys. I just love the Industrial SSK color scheme with the grey body, white alphas, and blue other keys. But thank you for helping me rationalize my purchase! :p

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2703 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 13:33:12 »
Dye sublimation update:  now that the alignment results have improved significantly as shown in an earlier post (but are not yet to spec), the factory is finalizing the design of what will hopefully be the production jig next week, and the jig should be completed in the next couple weeks.  I have ordered the (very costly) dye sub equipment for the factory (previously the factory was paying to use another factory's machines for R&D purposes) which should finish production and be delivered in about two weeks. 

Reminder from my recent months' blog posts:  while we wait for sublimation of the keys to finish, the “separate shipping” option is still available for you to request.  This option allows your keyboard to ship in the coming weeks instead of waiting further.  The only keyboards that are not going out are those who prefer delivery all at once (e.g. if they do not have extra Model M / Model F / Unicomp keyboards to borrow keys from) and those whose keyboards are in the second of two container shipments of the early bird round, now expected to arrive end of January or early February.  The cost is typically between $10 and $20 for the separate shipping option. Contact me over email with your order number to request separate shipping and I will see if you're eligible.  There is also a newly added option:  you can substitute the keys you ordered for unprinted pearl/pebble keys, or order an extra set of unprinted pearl/pebble keys if you would prefer to stay with brand new Model F keycaps.

Offline reavy

« Reply #2704 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 14:38:38 »
Are there any videos of how industrial-scale dye sublimation works? The only videos I have found online so far are small dye sub printers (for t-shirts?) and DIY custom keycaps printed with ink and steam irons. Sorry if this has been covered before.

Offline online

« Reply #2705 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 18:25:22 »
I just stumble on this and it seems too good to miss this!
I only tried buckling spring keyboard once at a meetup, so I don't know much about it. I've skimmed through posts to get the info, but still have some questions need clearing out.

1. Is the board comes with dye-sub keycaps that are in development?
2. Is the controller has USB-C or Micro USB receptacle?
3. What's the lead time If I place an order today?
4. I know QMK is in beta atm, but does it support most of the functionalities? Particularly tap-hold keys? I use spacebar as a tap-hold layer key, which is important to me as I've got used to accessing the shortcut for the software I use for work.
5. Finally, can someone check my order list? I'm a bit confused about what to order for F62 Model F with solenoids. (I'm in for the loudest click that MX can't give me. :D)

258219-0

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2706 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 09:49:50 »
Great online, glad you are joining the project!  Kindly see my replies below:

1.  Yes
2.  It has micro USB most likely (some keyboards have USB-C). 
3.  Please email me to confirm lead times.
4.  Please contact Deskthority user pandrew to confirm QMK details.
5.  Your order looks good!

Offline online

« Reply #2707 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 21:30:36 »
Great online, glad you are joining the project!  Kindly see my replies below:

1.  Yes
2.  It has micro USB most likely (some keyboards have USB-C). 
3.  Please email me to confirm lead times.
4.  Please contact Deskthority user pandrew to confirm QMK details.
5.  Your order looks good!
Thanks for answering the questions! Just placed an order.  :)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #2708 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 23:50:48 »
Quick question, as my account returns from the dead- is there any estimated ship date for orders placed today? I've been using a model F for a while, but have struggled with 2 key rollover, so when I found this, I was interested, but if it's gonna take literal years, it may not be worth it, since who knows if I'll still be living where I do today.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2709 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 00:44:24 »
For all questions on lead time please do email me or PM me with the specifics of what you are looking to order and I will check the inventory.

Some special inventory items, looking at my list:
I have to double check this but as of now I think I have one unclaimed keyboard with black unprinted keys installed:  F62 Industrial Gray, split shift and split backspace.  This is the last black key set that can ship for the next couple months.  The rest of the blue, black, and dark gray sets will be here in a couple months.

I also have F62 Beige, ANSI Enter and Split Backspace with Pearl/Pebble unprinted keys installed

And F77 Beige with Split Shift and 2U backspace with Pearl/Pebble unprinted keys installed

First come first served so please do double check with me before ordering if you would prefer not to wait.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 December 2020, 09:40:13 by Ellipse »

Offline yuejia

« Reply #2710 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 20:14:10 »
That‘s so cool! I like it!!!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2711 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 21:09:53 »
I have just posted the December update on the project web site - check it out for the latest status summary!

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/blog/

Offline DrivenKeys

• portfolio
« Reply #2712 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 22:14:04 »
I think this is my favorite tech purchase since my first car. My old M finally gets to sit back a relax its faded keys, and I'm supporting a true passion project. Many thanks to Ellipse, this is a dream come true I didn't know I had been waiting for.
1994 Lexmark Model M, Unicomp EnduraPro, EP84/KC84 (Box Navies with gpl107) Leopold FC900R (MX Clears), Ducky One (MX Whites), Das X50q

Offline yuejia

« Reply #2713 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 02:38:11 »
That‘s so cool! I like it!!!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2714 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 14:00:43 »
The second container shipment is finally on its way!  Due to the significant increase in container shipping volume in recent months, this shipment is expected to take longer than the first one.  It's expected to arrive and be delivered in late February.

Here are photos of the goods ready to be picked up and the truck being loaded.  Unfortunately there is no photo of everything loaded up, just the "in progress" photos were taken.

258808-0
258810-1
258812-2

Offline funkmon

« Reply #2715 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 22:42:10 »
I posted on the deskthority forum as well, but I just want to say publicly here, my main keyboard forum, that the F77 was a fantastic buy, and my new favourite Model F, even more than the XT which I've been maining now for a few months. I don't think I could do with even a single key less than this, however. I don't know how you Kishsaver folk do it.

Anyway, a think I don't like is the QMK firmware. I do appreciate that it was completely plug and play, it just worked, but it was difficult to set my own layout. I couldn't use their configurator tool online, it never let me download the firmware, so I couldn't make my dumbass modifications needed, mostly for the numpad, but to also add a few function keys I consider necessary for the first layer. So, I flashed xwhatsit back on there, and now life is good. :)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2716 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 10:49:52 »
Great funkmon; glad your keyboard arrived safely and is working well!

As a note for everyone, the QMK Model F firmware is still in beta and is not yet part of the official QMK to my knowledge, so everyone who wants to update their QMK layouts should send a PM to pandrew on Deskthority to request access to the beta. This is only required if you want to change something - the keyboards come preprogrammed.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2021, 18:50:42 by Ellipse »

Offline funkmon

« Reply #2717 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 13:39:47 »
Great funkmon; glad your keyboard arrived safely and is working well!

As a note for everyone, the QMK Model F firmware is still in beta and is not yet part of the official QMK to my knowledge, so everyone who wants to update their QMK layouts should send a PM to pandrew to request access to the beta. This is only required if you want to change something - the keyboards come preprogrammed.

Ahh that makes sense. I somehow totally forgot to do that, even though I read it. I am dumb. Oh well! I'm an old guy so I need to do old guy stuff like use old firmware that isn't as good.

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #2718 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 20:38:43 »
All I received my F77 and it's working great.  I have the top left key as the "ESC" button.  Normally this would have a place for the Tilde key.  Is there a way to get that to register through some combo of shift, cntl, etc on this type keyboard layout?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2719 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 22:47:20 »
Great pchatterjee, glad your keyboard arrived OK!

Yes, the factory default is ~ ` as the function layer of the top left key (Esc).  Press Fn+Esc for ` and Fn+Shift+Esc for ~.  Fn is defaulted to the right ctrl key on the non-HHKB layouts and the 1U key to the right of the HHKB style split right shift key.

Everyone can see the full default layout and function layers as it has been added to each of the 4 product pages - example https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f77-model-f-keyboard/
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2021, 22:48:56 by Ellipse »

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #2720 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 17:43:24 »
Great pchatterjee, glad your keyboard arrived OK!

Yes, the factory default is ~ ` as the function layer of the top left key (Esc).  Press Fn+Esc for ` and Fn+Shift+Esc for ~.  Fn is defaulted to the right ctrl key on the non-HHKB layouts and the 1U key to the right of the HHKB style split right shift key.

Everyone can see the full default layout and function layers as it has been added to each of the 4 product pages - example https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f77-model-f-keyboard/

Awesome that worked Ellipse!  Love the keyboard and the grey pantone color came out really nice with the white keys!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2721 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 18:02:35 »
Any recommendations on removing stuck new Model F stabilizer inserts, outside of opening up the keyboard to push it out?  These are more solidly secured in the barrels and tougher to remove than original inserts.  Maybe hand / non-electric drilling and pulling out the drill+insert might work but it is risky that it would go too far.

I was imagining that some kind of pliers tool was out there where squeezing the pliers would slightly expand and allow a tighter grip on the inside of the stabilizer insert.  The straight tip lock ring / snap ring pliers I looked at might work if they are small enough:

https://www.amazon.com/SK-Tools-SKT-7635-Straight-Pliers/dp/B00061SMZI/
https://www.amazon.com/Wilde-Tool-G407-B-Straight-Pliers/dp/B00HRY1UEW/
https://www.amazon.com/Wilde-Tool-G407-NP-Straight-Pliers/dp/B08GYKSBZW/
https://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-KAS1407-Straight-Pliers/dp/B07PDGYXJ9/
https://www.amazon.com/JONNESWAY-AI040006-STRAIGHT-REMOVING-INSTALLING/dp/B08D9T9519/
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 18:18:27 by Ellipse »