Author Topic: Cherry Blacks!  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Shad0w

Cherry Blacks!
« on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 15:05:02 »
Hi there,

I'm looking for a keyboard with cherry black switches. I see lot of people recommending Steelseries 7G. The cheapest one I could find was for $129 and from Xoxide.com? Is this a trusted site? Anyone bought anything from here before? Any idea where I can get this cheaper?  I have heard that older Steelseries 7G keyboards were not fully NKRO. Is this true? Should I wait for the Filco's to be back in stock?

Thank you

Offline itlnstln

Cherry Blacks!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 16:16:56 »
I ordered some stuff from xoxide a few years ago and didn't have any problems with them.

Offline texteur

Cherry Blacks!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 16:28:03 »
Hi Shad0w,

I don't know xoxide. But if you want a keyboard using Cherry black switches, there's a space saving keyboard for Mac called "KB-SMK-88" :

http://www.dsi-keyboards.com/keyboard/item.php?id=51
IBM Model M Space Saver, 1391472, PS/2, US layout, year 1987 | Apple Standard Keyboard, M0118, ADB, Swiss French layout, year 1987 | IBM Model M, 1391401, PS/2, US layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M Space Saver, 1392934, PS/2, US layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M, 1391403, PS/2, German layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M, 1391403, PS/2, German layout, year 1991 | Apple Extended Keyboard II, M3501, ADB, ANSI layout, year 1995 | DSI Switch Mac Keyboard, SMK-88SMK88-EM/JM, Black Cherry Switches, USB 1.1 & 2.0, ANSI layout, year 2006 | Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, white with blank keycaps, PD-KB400WN, Topre 45g switches, USB, UNIX key layout, year 2007 | Das Keyboard Ultimate, DASK3, USB, European layout, year 2008 | Topre Realforce 86U, SE0500, USB, ANSI layout, ergonomically weighted switches, year 2009 | Topre Realforce 87UB, SE1700, USB, ANSI layout, ergonomically weighted switches, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch "Otaku", FKBN104MC/NPEK, Blue Cherry MX switches, USB, ANSI layout, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch, FKBN87M/EB, Brown Cherry MX Switches, USB, 87 Key ANSI layout, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch Ten Key Extended Keypad, FKB22MB, Brown Cherry MX Switches, USB, year 2009
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Offline AndrewZorn

Cherry Blacks!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 17:06:18 »
just found this, $22
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=138130

used and i dont think NKRO, but just saying

Offline Megaweapon

Cherry Blacks!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 17:07:10 »
FYI:  Xoxide changed ownership in September. After a big going out of business sale the site itself was sold in a public auction.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Cherry Blacks!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 18:54:55 »
What type of switches do those keyboards use?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Cherry Blacks!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 00:45:45 »
Is that a photochop or is there a real palm rest on that keyboard?

D'oh! I can answer myself.

If you are looking for ergonomic features, the 7G has one interesting offering, a large plastic palmrest that goes over the keyboard and just about doubles its size. this pieces gives you a large, sloping area to rest your hands and places your wrists at a slightly less harsh angle than they would normally be so it’s an interesting option, but it has no padding and can only help your ergonomic so much. Overall, the piece won’t transform the 7G into an ergonomic keyboard, but it helps if you don’t like having your wrists kept at a sharp angle over long periods of time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 December 2009, 01:50:16 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline AndrewZorn

Cherry Blacks!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 01:27:18 »
it's real...

Quote from: microsoft windows;138167
What type of switches do those keyboards use?
seriously?

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Cherry Blacks!
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 02:58:02 »
Seems reading comprehension isn't what it used to be...
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Arc'xer

Cherry Blacks!
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 14:55:16 »
Not to hijack the thread but speaking about the MX blacks, are they as bad as people usually say they are? Typing and gaming. I'm aware it gets more heat on the typing than gaming(even though some have complained on gaming as well), but.....

I got my filco tenkeyless blues a few weeks ago and while nice. I just don't really feel all too 100% with them. I'm not saying I completely dislike them but the cacophony they make doesn't feel all too unique as (if something is missing from it, aside from loudness(maybe it's just me after getting used to the sound) and I type pretty heavily to be honest. As silly as this sounds my G11 feels more tactile, even though it's wrong to say that since it's non-mechanical(more of a a factor of hitting the bottom and mushy membrane), or maybe it's just me and I punch right through the tactile point or I'm so used to membrane that it's too new of a different sensation that I don't rely on it. It's there but it's not strong enough I guess.

Gaming I don't feel like I took a step back compared to my G11. I like them and I like the fact it goes through PS/2 seems to be a bit snappier. Blues are okay for gaming nothing wrong with them but again they lack something as for typing they are great but even there they lack something. I guess the blues while very nice and great first mechanical keyboard I'm still looking for the better keyboard.

But not sure if I would buy them, I know linear is not really recommended much but is it worth it? I know the cherry mx reds are a tough find.

Offline alpslover

Cherry Blacks!
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 15:07:55 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;138403

But not sure if I would buy them, I know linear is not really recommended much but is it worth it? I know the cherry mx reds are a tough find.

well, if cherry blues aren't tactile enough for you, then the blacks will be even worse since they have no tactility.

try a buckling spring keyboard, or a keyboard with click tactile alps.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Cherry Blacks!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 15:12:27 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;138403
Not to hijack the thread but speaking about the MX blacks, are they as bad as people usually say they are?

They're OK. Not one of my top 4 switches but perfectly usable and very smooth. Well-worn ones are better (less heavy). I'd consider them a step upwards from the average rubber dome.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Cherry Blacks!
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 17:00:25 »
Looks like Blue Cherry switches are taking the lead again!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS