Author Topic: Hey! Ready and enthused to learn from the community  (Read 2979 times)

Offline tingz

Hey! Ready and enthused to learn from the community
« on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 04:10:43 »
I pretty much play CS:GO exclusively (the occasional RPG) but I also value a good typing experience (student).  My first mechanical keyboard was a Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition and relatively recently I purchased a Corsair Strafe RGB because I found the clackiness of the Razer to be annoying along with wanting a keyboard with both lighting and a num pad.  Since buying the Corsair, I joined Massdrop, talked to a friend of mine (who is somewhat of a keyboard enthusiast) and spent sometime browsing MechanicalKeyboards.com.  Needless to say, I have a lot to learn and I'm somewhat overwhelmed.   :eek:
I think I'd like to get a new mech that is TKL (I like dedicated function keys and arrow keys as well for in game buy binds), MX Brown or Clear (what I've read about Ergo-Clear modding intrigues me as well...) does not have software, customizable and of course, is durable and solid.  I'm ambivalent to lighting at this point but I were to be interested in something with lighting I'd probably prefer straight up white.

I say MX Brown or Clear because I value tactile/clicky feedback, medium actuation pressure and medium to low typing noise.  My experience with switches is limited to the Razer ones (which I've heard are comparable to MX Blues?) and the Corsair's "MX Silent" (still confused as to whether or not this is an entirely new switch type or rather MX Clears...) so I'm ignorant to non-Cherry switches and I haven't even tried most of the Cherry switches.

I've been told by friends that three "quality" brands are Ducky, WASD and Vortex but online reviews are all over the place and there are many more brands floating around that show up next to these brands with similar price points.

Like I said, I'm here to learn so let the thread browsing/research begin.

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
Re: Hey! Ready and enthused to learn from the community
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 04:46:58 »
Hey and welcome! You seem to come from the more commercial mechanicals aka more marketed towards gamers, which is an ok place to start. But as you probably have already seen there are alot more to this hobby, and in terms of switches alone you have more than MX switches, so might be worth looking into that. As to the your friends saying Ducky, WASD and Vortex being "quality" I have heard otherwise atleast in term of Ducky and WASD. But yeah do your research, people here are also willing to help if you need some, but prepare to have your wallethacked.  :thumb:

*EDIT* I beat Rowdy!
TP4 fanboy

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 04:47:39 »
Hey and welcome! You seem to come from the more commercial mechanicals aka more marketed towards gamers, which is an ok place to start. But as you probably have already seen there are alot more to this hobby, and in terms of switches alone you have more than MX switches, so might be worth looking into that. As to the your friends saying Ducky, WASD and Vortex being "quality" I have heard otherwise atleast in term of Ducky and WASD. But yeah do your research, people here are also willing to help if you need some, but prepare to have your wallethacked.  :thumb:
You I like you man #DVORAKMASTERRACE

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 04:48:01 »
oh and yeah
HHKB

Offline Fiery

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 04:52:33 »
You I like you man #DVORAKMASTERRACE
THE ONLY MASTERRACE.

but seriously I am really glad I got away from QWERTY, it just feels better and more comfortable.
TP4 fanboy

Offline tingz

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 05:15:34 »
WELP.  I bungled the quoting system... Ignore this... :blank:

but seriously I am really glad I got away from QWERTY, it just feels better and more comfortable.
[/quote]

For whatever reason, if you end up in a situation in which you "have" to use QWERTY ie. using a friend's, school's, library's, company's etc. keyboard- do you find it difficult to temporarily revert back? Or is it kind of like bilingualism where you might stumble a bit right after changing languages but then it becomes natural again?  I'm intrigued.  I just spend 5 min on a Dvorak training website- although it's difficult because I'm not used to it, I can definitely see the appeal... many words don't even require changing rows.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2016, 05:18:46 by tingz »

Offline tingz

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 05:17:29 »

For whatever reason, if you end up in a situation in which you "have" to use QWERTY ie. using a friend's, school's, library's, company's etc. keyboard- do you find it difficult to temporarily revert back? Or is it kind of like bilingualism where you might stumble a bit right after changing languages but then it becomes natural again?  I'm intrigued.  I just spend 5 min on a Dvorak training website- although it's difficult because I'm not used to it, I can definitely see the appeal... many words don't even require changing rows.

Offline Fiery

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 05:26:19 »

Oh I can use QWERTY if I have legends, but I haven't tried going back for more than a couple seconds. So I don't know how long it would take me to type comfortably again on QWERTY. Also If you decide to change layout, look into colemak aswell and see what you like better. I do highly recommend changing to a more modern layout as QWERTY was designed to mechanically work on typewriters. It might take some time and be hard in the beginning, but I can't see myself going back.
TP4 fanboy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 03:51:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Tactile usually refers to the bump you can feel as the switch actuates (e.g. browns, clears).  Clicky usually refers to the audible click when you press the switch (e.g. blues, greens).

Browns are like gritty reds, so many say, with a very weak tactile bump.  Clears have a very well defined tactile bump, but are a bit heavier, perhaps a bit heavier than you want.

Zelios are between, but you'd have to modify a keyboard yourself as there are no factory keyboards with Zealios on them (yet).

Gateron also has MX-compatible tactile switches, but like MX browns they are 45g, which might be a bit light.  I don't know how the tactility of the Gateron browns compares to MX browns.

If you get a TKL keyboard and find yourself missing the numpad, you can always get a separate numpad.  A mechanical one too!

*EDIT* I beat Rowdy!

I'm running waaay behind at the moment, haven't even looked at the media section for at least a week :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 01:34:26 »

Oh I can use QWERTY if I have legends, but I haven't tried going back for more than a couple seconds. So I don't know how long it would take me to type comfortably again on QWERTY. Also If you decide to change layout, look into colemak aswell and see what you like better. I do highly recommend changing to a more modern layout as QWERTY was designed to mechanically work on typewriters. It might take some time and be hard in the beginning, but I can't see myself going back.
I need to try this dvorak one day. Welcome to GH  ;D
Chris Schammert

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 01:39:27 »
Just buy a hhkb you don't need to know anything else

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 05:33:10 »
Clears are too heavy for me to play csgo with, I much prefer browns. Maybe modding a board to have a lighter spring than the normal clear spring may help? I've yet to try this - I will be doing soon though. The bump in browns is quite subtle compared to clears, so it depends how apparent you want it to be.

You can buy a small board that goes into some TKL boards, that make them customizable too. This might be ideal.

Regarding WASD boards, they're good. But when it comes to modding you're better of elsewhere.

Welcome to GH!