Author Topic: Its me!  (Read 4453 times)

Offline lam47

Its me!
« on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 16:56:57 »
Hey everyone. Hope all is well in the world of geek hack.
I have been away for a long time I know and will explain in just a moment.
I do hope to get back on the forum as this is such a good community filled with friendly and interesting people.

For me things have been turbulent.
If you will permit me I will just ramble through it as best I can.

As my old friends here know I have been in hospital a lot. This was because of unexplained internal bleeding. I have been through pretty much every test they can do and had god knows what stuck in god knows where countless times.
Finally I got an answer. It was all because of a drug I was put on by some Dr who did not even know me or my situation. The drug was Duloxatine (spelling could be wrong) And it had eroded my stomach colon and duodenum. With some corrective drugs and a strict diet I have managed to heal!
All good news in the end there.

Unfortunately after receiving the good news my estranged for 10 years father appeared on the scene trying to make contact with the family and myself in particular as we had brief contact 10 years prior.

He was drunk and needy. He attempted suicide but not before letting me know that I have another brother. The lead singer from a UK band who are pretty famous here. I don't know if they are in the US or not and would rather not say who as his past is fabricated for the press.

This takes a toll on a man of course.

My father would not stop ringing in the night to moan and in the end I had to bar his number. I am not sure how he took it and doubt I will find out.
Its hard to let go of something you have never really had. I suppose its letting go of what could have been really.

This has been my life recently and it has only just started to calm down.
I type when I can because I still love to. I have not been collecting as money has been tight. My health preventing me from doing any proper work.

Next year I wish things to be better. I have a qualification to attain in IT and hope to get a position as an IT technician in a college or office. Its a hobby I don't think would be ruined by turning it into a proper job.

I should probably leave it there.
Thanks for listening if you made it to the end of my rant.

x
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Its me!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 16:59:33 »
Be well, and thanks for sharing.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline 1839cc

Its me!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 17:03:52 »
Glad your health is better now. Hope you get that job.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline bigpook

Its me!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 17:06:05 »
welcome back lam. glad to hear your health has improved.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline zwmalone

Its me!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 17:09:15 »
Sorry about all the problems lam.  I've been on Duloxetine (cymbalta) for quite a while now... kind of a scary thought...
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Its me!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 17:09:33 »
Hey Lam, I (and I'm doubtlessly sure others) have missed your presence around these parts. Sounds like you've been through some pretty crazy ****, but I'm sure you'll come out fine on the other end. =D

Offline lam47

Its me!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 18:26:19 »
Thanks everyone.

@ zwmalone, My GP is currently making a case up against the manufacturer of the drug. He has had other patients have the same side effect! Its prescribed for so many things.
If you have been OK all this time you should be OK. Can you eat acidic food without pain?
I was taken to hospital after a slice of melon lol. Seems funny now but at the time...
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Offline Rajagra

Its me!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 18:32:42 »
Good to hear from you again. Pleased to hear they found a way to help at last.:thumb:

Offline zwmalone

Its me!
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 19:14:25 »
Quote from: lam47;138525
Thanks everyone.

@ zwmalone, My GP is currently making a case up against the manufacturer of the drug. He has had other patients have the same side effect! Its prescribed for so many things.
If you have been OK all this time you should be OK. Can you eat acidic food without pain?
I was taken to hospital after a slice of melon lol. Seems funny now but at the time...

I stopped taking it about a month ago (suicidal thoughts) and I seem to be ok...  some stomach pain, but nothing I would deem concerning...  The real problem is the withdrawal *shudders*
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Its me!
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 20:56:29 »
Welcome back.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline erricrice

Its me!
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 21:32:46 »
Quote from: zwmalone;138544
I stopped taking it about a month ago (suicidal thoughts) and I seem to be ok...  some stomach pain, but nothing I would deem concerning...  The real problem is the withdrawal *shudders*

WTF?

good thing you're off of it man

And I can't say I really know ya lam, but that's quite a bit to go through!  Glad to hear you made it out the other side!
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Maρana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Its me!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 21:43:48 »
Welcome back!  Glad to hear you are pulling through.  Look forward to seeing you around here again.

Offline o2dazone

Its me!
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 23:16:19 »
Holy f man
Glad to see you're safe, best wishes to you

Offline rdjack21

Its me!
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 00:31:35 »
Fantastic Lam is back and on the road to recovery!! You have been missed.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
Its me!
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 00:50:16 »
Forums are strange in that you read so much that someone posted with so many responses and interactions, that within a small community you think you know the person.

I had been browsing this forum a bit before I joined so it's interesting to hark back to that. Having said all that, I am glad you seem to be on the up and up! I wish you the best, having personally been knocked around with significant medical problems for the past two years, few things can give more hope than an understanding of whats wrong.
Again, I hope all goes well :)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline maxlugar

Its me!
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 01:34:40 »
All the best to you mate.  2010 is going to be a much better year!
Never, ever give up or give in  :)
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline lam47

Its me!
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 04:40:35 »
Again, thank you everyone.
Looking forward to next year is a good feeling.

Offline lowpoly

Its me!
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 05:17:18 »
Wow, what a story. Welcome back. :-)

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Its me!
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 07:33:47 »
Agreed. Welcome back. :)
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline itlnstln

Its me!
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 07:48:26 »
Glad your health is doing well.  All bad things will pass, and we look forward to having you back.  Thanks for stopping in and sharing.

Offline xyzzy

Its me!
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 08:25:58 »
It's great to hear that you're finally leaving your health problems behind, welcome back!

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)