Author Topic: Hi guys  (Read 2014 times)

Offline sybase

Hi guys
« on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 19:45:28 »
Started with a razer blackwidow and now have a filco minila air and a whitefox on the way. Wanted to ask if anyone knows any good sets to replace the keycaps on the minila. I do want a complete replacement set though. Also, I found this pic on pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/pin/30610472445073967/ it looks like a skull squadron DSA. I'm sad really sad tho because I'm guessing the gb for this was a while ago, but would really like to buy this from someone!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
Re: Hi guys
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:04:43 »
Hi, how do you like the Cherry MX switches compared to your Razer switches? I'm sure someone knows about replacing those caps
Chris Schammert

Offline sybase

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:13:12 »
I have the blackwidow with green leds which I believe has cherry mx blue switches. My minila has cherry brown switches which I prefer much more. The blues are just too loud, they make me cringe.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:27:46 »
Ohh I see, I poked around the Razer info on deskthority. That was a few years ago I take it. Nice, before the green/orange/chroma madness
Chris Schammert

Offline chroness

• HHKB Fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:29:28 »
Welcome! The skull squadron is a tricky (but beautiful) set! Best of luck in your hunt
Cup is love, Cup is life

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 04:18:50 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Skull Squadron was made by PMK, but it is Matt3o's design and generally they won't re-run it without his permission.

One issue you will have finding keycaps for the Filco is that teeny space bar and the two 1u Shifts.  Ok, two issues :))

A lot of recent sets are starting to cater for more non-standard layouts, especially DSA sets as the keycaps are all the same profile and thus can go on any row on the keyboard as long as they are the right width.

Maybe have a look in interest checks and/or group buys and see if any sets grab your interest, then check or ask if they will support the Minila.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sybase

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 02:16:57 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Skull Squadron was made by PMK, but it is Matt3o's design and generally they won't re-run it without his permission.

One issue you will have finding keycaps for the Filco is that teeny space bar and the two 1u Shifts.  Ok, two issues :))

A lot of recent sets are starting to cater for more non-standard layouts, especially DSA sets as the keycaps are all the same profile and thus can go on any row on the keyboard as long as they are the right width.

Maybe have a look in interest checks and/or group buys and see if any sets grab your interest, then check or ask if they will support the Minila.
Awesome! Thanks so much.