Author Topic: Hi  (Read 2919 times)

Offline mOUs3y

Hi
« on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 00:16:33 »
Hello!

My name is mOUs3y and I'm from California, USA. I never knew there was a keyboard community. Pretty interesting going through all the threads on the many mods you can do for keyboards. What brought me here was I wanted to finally try out mechanical keyboards; unfortunately, I fell in love with the Filco Majestouch 2 AI (fkbn104mc2-ai) which is no longer available. So I'll be lurking until I find someone selling one.

-mOUs3y

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 08:24:58 »
Hey! That looks like a normal Majestouch 2 with a blue body. You could always grab a normal Majestouch and wrap the body? It's pretty easy to remove.

Besides that, welcome!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 11:56:44 »
Hi, welcome. Good luck with your hunt!

If you're feeling adventurous I found a link to that keyboard on taobao.com. If you can't find one in the marketplace maybe you could find a proxy service for that website  ;)

Taobao.com - Filco Majestouch 2 AI
Chris Schammert

Offline mOUs3y

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 21:02:01 »
Hi all!  Thank you for the warm welcome. Omg thank you for the link!!! What did you mean by proxy? I saw they had the AI in stock; however, I never knew there was a metalic blue version of the majestouch ninja. I always thought it was just for the regular 104 majestouch 2 keyboard. You think it's real?

Btw, any idea what kind of PBT keycaps these are? I messed the original poster but I'm not sure if they check their GH account regularly - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73992.0

-mOUS3y

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 21:25:59 »
Those keycaps? Err, I wish I could tell ya
Chris Schammert

Offline mOUs3y

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 21:52:13 »
Any recommendations on PBT brands?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 22:07:35 »
I don't know the difference in PBT feel (roughness etc). The measurements on Vortex's PBT caps are pretty substantial. I would also check out Ducky keycaps, maybe even tai hao keycaps. Although, I understand that tai hao uses a UV protection coating that eventually peals off. ymmv.

Mechanicalkeyboards.com should have a set of every brand I mentioned. I want to say all of those brands are Cherry OEM profile. Pimpmykeyboards.com has some other PBT keycap profiles including blank sets.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2016, 22:09:39 by csmertx »
Chris Schammert

Offline mOUs3y

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 22:50:37 »
Thanks for the information! I'll be sure to go over and look. Wow looks like a lot of the forum members are from Florida.  I'm going to Disneyworld at the end of the month. I hope Harry Potter world is amazing!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 23:39:36 »
I had the chance to go when I was ten, but my family couldn't wake me up :-[ How about that story?! What kid actually sleeps the night before Disney World? I can't miss the upcoming Star Wars land though  ;)

No sweat, have a blast!
Chris Schammert

Offline mOUs3y

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 01:25:01 »
Oh what??? I didn't know they were going to build a star wars there too. LOL funny about your story - I would have been so mad! Oh btw, do you think this - https://www.diatec.co.jp/en/FKBN104M2AI/ - is the same color as this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Blue-Metallic-Blue-/281830955628?hash=item419e6f1a6c:g:5x8AAOSwI-BWIrHZ ?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 02:39:17 »
I want to say yes, the colors are the same. I think the only difference is the lighting.

Ebay Link

Diatec Link

I could be wrong though
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 March 2016, 02:41:08 by csmertx »
Chris Schammert

Offline mOUs3y

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 02:44:30 »
Ok well I'll go buy one. I "think" it's limited edition in Korea. Since I've been spending >15 hours already looking for the fullsize AI one that came out here in 2011, this might be the closest I can get. I did find one I believe on the Chinese taobao.com website; however, I was not sure if it was "real" or if I would be ok with the Chinese characters on the keys. I'll go ask my Chinese friend tomorrow to read the website description for me. But I guess I'll pull the trigger on this one; I'm sure I'll find someone here to buy it off me if it ends up being the wrong color :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 19:55:37 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That eBay link is widebasket - he is well known and often has hard to find keyboard items.

The keycaps you linked above are early Vortex.  The legends are very inconsistent and apart from being PBT there's not much to recommend them.  Later Vortex sets are a bit more consistent.

AFAIK Taobao only ship to China, so you'd need to find a proxy to ship it to you, if you wanted to go that route.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mOUs3y

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 02:06:12 »
Hi Rowdy!

Good to know widebasket is well known. I ordered a white carbon fiber filco tenkeyless as well as that blue tenkeyless one from him even though i'm not sure if it's the same color as the majestouch 2 ai color. I tried to contact the sellers on Taobao; however, they don't have the keyboard in stock. I guess they have to find the keyboard for me after I pay, and they cannot guarantee a ship date or something. I did find the keyboard (filco majestouch 2 ai) in vietnam; unfortunately, they only deliver within the country. I'm asking around to see if I know anyone going there but it's looking pretty dim. Know of any GH's that live in Vietnam?  ;D

And thanks for the information about those gray PBTs. If I ever get a fullsize blue keyboard, I want to find some PBTs that are of that light-blue color; it grew on me.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 02:11:23 »
Hi Rowdy!

Good to know widebasket is well known. I ordered a white carbon fiber filco tenkeyless as well as that blue tenkeyless one from him even though i'm not sure if it's the same color as the majestouch 2 ai color. I tried to contact the sellers on Taobao; however, they don't have the keyboard in stock. I guess they have to find the keyboard for me after I pay, and they cannot guarantee a ship date or something. I did find the keyboard (filco majestouch 2 ai) in vietnam; unfortunately, they only deliver within the country. I'm asking around to see if I know anyone going there but it's looking pretty dim. Know of any GH's that live in Vietnam?  ;D

And thanks for the information about those gray PBTs. If I ever get a fullsize blue keyboard, I want to find some PBTs that are of that light-blue color; it grew on me.
If you're patient I'm sure you will find a person willing to proxy for your from Vietnam  :)
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 02:25:46 »
Hi Rowdy!

Although there are members from Vietnam, there are not many, and the only ones I can think of joined relatively recently.  I would hesitate to call them out for proxying.

You could ask in the ... er, actually it's difficult to think where would be the best place to ask for a proxy.  Someone asked a while back in off topic, someone else asked in keyboards.

There are a couple of proxy threads:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37277.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74254.0

But neither is very comprehensive,and neither has been updates for a while.

Actually you could try posting in that second thread, the worldwide proxy list one.  A bump might trigger a few more people to volunteer.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 02:30:52 »
Hi Rowdy!

Although there are members from Vietnam, there are not many, and the only ones I can think of joined relatively recently.  I would hesitate to call them out for proxying.

You could ask in the ... er, actually it's difficult to think where would be the best place to ask for a proxy.  Someone asked a while back in off topic, someone else asked in keyboards.

There are a couple of proxy threads:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37277.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74254.0

But neither is very comprehensive,and neither has been updates for a while.

Actually you could try posting in that second thread, the worldwide proxy list one.  A bump might trigger a few more people to volunteer.
Ah ok. If I ever need a keyboard shipped from Vietnam in the future, I'll know to bump often.
Chris Schammert

Offline mOUs3y

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 22:57:43 »
Cool! Thanks for the information on proxys! I'll try my luck there.

So the Filco Majestouch 2 AI will be my home keyboard. I bought two already: one for my wife and another for work. I got the Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 104-key and the Filco tenkeyless white carbon fiber. Is it just me, or they "feel" different? Both are blue mx switches except one has a 10-key the other doesn't. Maybe it's just physiological :-X?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 04:17:51 »
Could it be the sound stage that is causing the difference in feeling? Or perhaps there is another reason
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 04:56:51 »
Cool! Thanks for the information on proxys! I'll try my luck there.

So the Filco Majestouch 2 AI will be my home keyboard. I bought two already: one for my wife and another for work. I got the Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 104-key and the Filco tenkeyless white carbon fiber. Is it just me, or they "feel" different? Both are blue mx switches except one has a 10-key the other doesn't. Maybe it's just physiological :-X?

No, sometimes they do sound and feel different.

I have two Ducky Shine full size with MX blues, and they feel quite different.  I have two TKL with MX black, and they are very different (although one Ducky and one QFR).

It's a lot of factors - case material and size, plate material, size, thickness and width, keycap material and profile, batch of switches, and even the desk surface on which the keyboard is resting.