Author Topic: Hi Everybody!  (Read 2927 times)

Offline didntgotomedschool

Hi Everybody!
« on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 18:18:52 »
Hi Everybody! New to GH and mechanical keyboards in general.

A little about my mechanical keyboard experience so far:

I started out trying a CM Quickfire Rapid tenkeyless with Cherry Mx Browns a few weeks ago. It was more fun to type on than my Kinesis Freestyle 2, but it seemed a bit too loud for my tastes. It was also a bit too large so I started looking for something around the 60-70% range.

I've also tried the Matias Ergo Pro (low force edition) and while I enjoyed how the keys felt and the fact that it was a split keyboard, it was wayy too tall for my liking. I tried the low force edition and an ergo keyboard because I've been having RSI problems.

I also tried out the Filco Minila with red switches. I LOVED the small form factor (I need to take a keyboard to and from the office) and the red switches were great, but the right shift and backspace keys were much too small. I thought I could get used it, but it got a bit annoying after awhile.

Right now I'm trying out a Magicforce with Kailh reds, but they feel a little heavier than the Cherry Reds on the Filco. Maybe it'll get better after I break them in? I might keep the board, but change the keycaps. The typeface is a bit much for my liking.

Now I'm eyeing the Leopold 660 with either Red or Brown switches. I know they're a little tougher to get keycaps for, but I don't think I'd need to replace them toooo often and I'd probably only replace them with black, gray, or navy keycaps. The keys that seem to get the most shine on my old keyboards (Apple wireless, MS 4000, MS Sculpt Ergonomic) are the left side of the spacebar and the left alt key (remapped to command_l).

A few questions before I make a purchase:
- I'm on a Mac and I use Karabiner. Would Karabiner recognize the fn key on this? It hasn't recognized the fn keys on the other keyboards I've tried. Would I be able to map capslock to an fnlock?
- Is it worth it to pay more for the laser etched PBT keys?
- Should I give browns another chance? I've read that reds are better for games, but I don't play many games at the moment. I spend most of my time in sublime text, photoshop, or sketch.
- Should I take a look at other keyboards besides the Leopold FC660M?

Thanks for all the useful info the past few weeks!
Leopold 660M Cherry Red

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
Re: Hi Everybody!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 18:47:38 »
Hi Everybody! New to GH and mechanical keyboards in general.

A little about my mechanical keyboard experience so far:

I started out trying a CM Quickfire Rapid tenkeyless with Cherry Mx Browns a few weeks ago. It was more fun to type on than my Kinesis Freestyle 2, but it seemed a bit too loud for my tastes. It was also a bit too large so I started looking for something around the 60-70% range.

I've also tried the Matias Ergo Pro (low force edition) and while I enjoyed how the keys felt and the fact that it was a split keyboard, it was wayy too tall for my liking. I tried the low force edition and an ergo keyboard because I've been having RSI problems.

I also tried out the Filco Minila with red switches. I LOVED the small form factor (I need to take a keyboard to and from the office) and the red switches were great, but the right shift and backspace keys were much too small. I thought I could get used it, but it got a bit annoying after awhile.

Right now I'm trying out a Magicforce with Kailh reds, but they feel a little heavier than the Cherry Reds on the Filco. Maybe it'll get better after I break them in? I might keep the board, but change the keycaps. The typeface is a bit much for my liking.

Now I'm eyeing the Leopold 660 with either Red or Brown switches. I know they're a little tougher to get keycaps for, but I don't think I'd need to replace them toooo often and I'd probably only replace them with black, gray, or navy keycaps. The keys that seem to get the most shine on my old keyboards (Apple wireless, MS 4000, MS Sculpt Ergonomic) are the left side of the spacebar and the left alt key (remapped to command_l).

A few questions before I make a purchase:
- I'm on a Mac and I use Karabiner. Would Karabiner recognize the fn key on this? It hasn't recognized the fn keys on the other keyboards I've tried. Would I be able to map capslock to an fnlock?
- Is it worth it to pay more for the laser etched PBT keys?
- Should I give browns another chance? I've read that reds are better for games, but I don't play many games at the moment. I spend most of my time in sublime text, photoshop, or sketch.
- Should I take a look at other keyboards besides the Leopold FC660M?

Thanks for all the useful info the past few weeks!

So many questions....sadly i can't answer them all but i will do what i can!

Gaming on Keyboards is very subjective!  I personally prefer MX browns for gaming but i can game on Topre and MX Blues just fine also!...Reds are slightly easier to double tap with in games that require it..but i HATE typing on them far too little force require and too easy to make typos on.

Doubleshot or Dyesub or...it will fade and look horrible eventually anyways.  Laser etched is better than pad printed but it will eventually still look like crap.

The FC660M is a very solid board if you are settled on Cherry MX and like the board layout.  You mentioned RSI issues..personally i have tendinitis and Carpal issues and Topre feels like typing on clouds...even the stiffer 55G is more comfortable then my MX Browns have been at 45G and have made pain MUCH more tolerable as such.  Just a thought to consider if you can try Topre anywhere.

Sorry i could not help you with every question but i know nothing about Karabiner.

Cheers

Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline the big aristotle

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 18:56:43 »
I've played a bit with reds and have recently switched to blacks. I've got pretty big hands so I thought the reds were a little to light for me. With regards to Karabiner, I would assume that it would work but I'm pretty sure Das keyboards work pretty well with Mac's but I would look for an older Das because they've really dropped off in build quality.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2016, 19:00:09 by the big aristotle »

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 23:53:10 »

Gaming on Keyboards is very subjective!  I personally prefer MX browns for gaming but i can game on Topre and MX Blues just fine also!...Reds are slightly easier to double tap with in games that require it..but i HATE typing on them far too little force require and too easy to make typos on.

Doubleshot or Dyesub or...it will fade and look horrible eventually anyways.  Laser etched is better than pad printed but it will eventually still look like crap.

The FC660M is a very solid board if you are settled on Cherry MX and like the board layout.  You mentioned RSI issues..personally i have tendinitis and Carpal issues and Topre feels like typing on clouds...even the stiffer 55G is more comfortable then my MX Browns have been at 45G and have made pain MUCH more tolerable as such.  Just a thought to consider if you can try Topre anywhere.

Sorry i could not help you with every question but i know nothing about Karabiner.

Cheers

You're making me consider the FC660C! Typing on something that feels like clouds would be a dream! Are topres loud? I work in an open office environment and still feel like I need to quiet the reds I'm typing on.
Leopold 660M Cherry Red

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 23:55:19 »
I've played a bit with reds and have recently switched to blacks. I've got pretty big hands so I thought the reds were a little to light for me. With regards to Karabiner, I would assume that it would work but I'm pretty sure Das keyboards work pretty well with Mac's but I would look for an older Das because they've really dropped off in build quality.

I've got small girl hands that are getting accustomed to the feel of reds, but am still thinking about browns and now topre. I'll look into Das too. Thanks!
Leopold 660M Cherry Red

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 03:00:40 »

Cheers

You're making me consider the FC660C! Typing on something that feels like clouds would be a dream! Are topres loud? I work in an open office environment and still feel like I need to quiet the reds I'm typing on.

No mechanical keyboard is ever dead silent,however Topre is much quieter than bottoming out on Cherry MX reds.  It's more of a pleasant thock/thud than a loud CLACK.

WhiteFireDragon on Youtube did a sound sample of the FC660C   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uRqmKNQj04
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 04:19:10 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The ergonomics section has lots of threads about RSI, and what people have done about it.  Have a look through some threads there, and if nothing jumps out at you a good idea would be to repost your questions there, especially with the RSI reference, as not everyone checks the new members area.

Topre is great - is is softer than MX, has more initial resistance (but not a lot), and then is buttery smooth until you bottom out.  And as you are compressing a rubber dome (yes, it is a rubber dome keyboard, but capacitive) there is no jarring impact.  They are not over noisy, and probably fine for an office environment (unless you have someone who complains about the slightest sound of anything).

The FC660C - the orange keyboard :)) - is great - I haven't really heard anything bad about it.  Except maybe for the legends on the keycaps wearing out and being difficult to replace.

You could also consider an HHKB - Topre, light, portable, you can get a silenced version if you really want to, and PBT keycaps that last for years!  A little bit more expensive though.

A good idea would be to go to a meetup, if you can, and try a few keyboards to get the feel for different switches.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 08:12:03 »
Welcome, hi :) Have you looked in to HHKB? As Rowdy mentioned, the HHKB might be something to consider.
Chris Schammert

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 08:20:28 »
WARNING: Strong opinion incoming

Browns are terrible. Honestly, they are just awful. Reds are equally as terribad, as are Blacks. Cherry linear switches are awful, at least stock. Browns are just boring, and by trying to please everyone, they just fail at everything.

You want a good linear switch without needing to mod the hell out of it? Go with Gateron.
You want the best switch? Go Topre
You want the best board? Go with the HHKB.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline banakrabber

• O-rings made for mechanical keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 10:27:35 »
Hi and welcome to Geekhack !

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 00:26:03 »
No mechanical keyboard is ever dead silent,however Topre is much quieter than bottoming out on Cherry MX reds.  It's more of a pleasant thock/thud than a loud CLACK.

WhiteFireDragon on Youtube did a sound sample of the FC660C   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uRqmKNQj04

Thanks for the YT link! Watching now..
Leopold 660M Cherry Red