Author Topic: LF 60% - Bring on the Recommendations  (Read 4040 times)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
LF 60% - Bring on the Recommendations
« on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 22:04:42 »
I know I haven't been around in a while. I've never been the most popular lad, but those who remember me... HERRO!

Anyway, I've been out of the loop because of the typical: girl, work, YouTube.. Okay, maybe the last one is not the most typical.

I'm looking for something light to switch it up. Browns, Blues, ergo clears, any new light Topre I might not be abreast to. I only do small form factor, so 60% or FC660 size is preferred.

Boards I have and not interested in:

HHKB Type-S
Poker II
Leopold FC660C
WASD
Ducky Shine II

Back light or RGB would be nice, but not necessary. Would like something metal because I don't have any with a metal case but again-not necessary. Ducky mini looks cool. Budget maybe $100-$200.

Let the games begin!

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: LF 60% - Bring on the Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 22:33:56 »
KBP V60? they come in a variety of switches, including Matias Click, white ALPS, and MX Clear.

they are all plastic, though.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 23:47:24 »
Friends don't let friends buy the Ducky Mini  :thumb:
Chris Schammert

Offline rand77

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 00:51:48 »
I liked the V60s matias switches, but they are quite tactile and a bit on the heavier side. 

If you like light switches look into the V60 with gateron clear.   Be warned that it is insanely light though! 

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 01:21:15 »
I liked the V60s matias switches, but they are quite tactile and a bit on the heavier side. 

If you like light switches look into the V60 with gateron clear.   Be warned that it is insanely light though!

Mmmm. Intriguing but likely too light. Still strengthening my left pinkie hehe

I've been wanting to try matias though. Which ones are closer to Browns and are quiet since I know they have quiet versions.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 13:52:00 »
Matias:
Quiet click - tactile and near silent
Click - tactile and clicky
Linear - quiet and smooth as butter

Offline spanyam

• Enjoy the gift of life!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 13:57:12 »
I have the Matias Quiet Linears on the KBPV60, and they are indeed smooth as butter.
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 23:44:20 »
So I'm confident I'm going to grab the quiet click matias V60 and slap on an aluminum tex case. But I'm having trouble finding keycaps. Are there even any decent sets out there?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 00:05:21 »
So I'm confident I'm going to grab the quiet click matias V60 and slap on an aluminum tex case. But I'm having trouble finding keycaps. Are there even any decent sets out there?
Mechanicalkeyboards.com occasionally has KB paradise v60 Matias w/taihao double shot abs keycaps. I think most people harvest their keycaps from older alps keyboards.

If you want PBT I think harvesting is the only way to go.

Edit - I read some information on the Alps appreciation thread stating that Signature Plastics does sell PBT Alps caps periodically. I guess it's part of the Granite drops?
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 March 2016, 00:09:35 by csmertx »
Chris Schammert

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 03:35:00 »

U wot m8  >:D
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 03:51:19 »

U wot m8  >:D
I was kidding!  :):'(
Chris Schammert

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 06:33:29 »
Poker 3 now  has a metal case.  They also have LED versions.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline a Horde of Penguins

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 16:22:11 »
im really enjoying my pok3r with clears <3

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 18:24:54 »
I'm really liking the design of the Ducky mini. I know you said you were kidding, but whats the census on this board? I'm thinking of scooping one with browns.

I really want ergo clears with a green space bar, but I don't have a brown board and could use the light touch of my blues with less click for nightcrawl sessions. Then again, Matias has me wanting to try their quiets. Arggg, these decisions are killing me!

Offline ntelope

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 23:05:50 »
I'm really liking the design of the Ducky mini. I know you said you were kidding, but whats the census on this board? I'm thinking of scooping one with browns.

I really want ergo clears with a green space bar, but I don't have a brown board and could use the light touch of my blues with less click for nightcrawl sessions. Then again, Matias has me wanting to try their quiets. Arggg, these decisions are killing me!
I have a ducky mini yoth in red and honestly it was a breeze adjusting to my first 60% thanks to its layout.

Offline AwSmCreator

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 01:01:58 »
I have a few Pok3rs and they are a nice improvement from the Poker II if you enjoyed that. They are also coming out with a RGB version soon. I also really like WKL B.Face, I ended up getting one with a key set on Mech Market and I ended  up loving the board.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 20:39:01 »

Even the Gateron browns are quite light.  More so than Cherries.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 02:23:23 »
If you like the FC660C, how about a Clueboard? It's an MX replacement PCB that has the option for an Alps plate and custom acrylic case. Or just toss it in an FC660M aluminum case. ;)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline jaffers

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 02:25:24 »
KBP V60? they come in a variety of switches, including Matias Click, white ALPS, and MX Clear.

they are all plastic, though.

Wrong, the plate is steel

I've also heard the quality control of matias is out the door, from some switches not clicking to switches outright failing
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 April 2016, 02:27:11 by jaffers »

Offline jaffers

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 02:45:20 »
My opinion is to get the V60 mini with clears, straight up decent board, and widely available.

Steel plate, dual LED's if you are into that, good all round keyboard for not a lot of money.

I wouldn't touch browns to be completely honest, the bump isn't all that tactile and leaves a lot to be desired, kinda like pulling out before you are done. You know there can be more but you just aren't getting it.

As far as the case goes, its super solid for a cast plastic construction. Not that the pok3r case != aftermarket alu custom because it's cast instead of milled, so quality is not the same, and if you after than IMO you are better off going all the way.

As far as keycaps go, IMSTO is running a group buy for dyesub gaterons for $75 a pop, which is great value, and cherry profile kicks ass.

Shadovved is also running a groupbuy for essentially the same caps, but it finished and I think he ships in a month or two, so you might be able to grab a spare set off him if you so desire.

Offline Jumie

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:06:31 »
RS68?