Author Topic: Zenith Green SKCL Alps Restoration Log  (Read 7939 times)

Offline pr0ximity

Zenith Green SKCL Alps Restoration Log
« on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 17:33:07 »
I've posted the finished product around a bit lately, but wanted to put together a quick build log for the process I went through in restoring an old Zenith 100-1860 AT.

Here's what she looked like when she first arrived:

And the finished product:

I've dubbed her "Donatello" for obvious reasons ;)

I got her from Bob at northgate-keyboard-repair.com which I believe a few people around here are familiar with. The board looked like it was in good condition, Bob claimed to have done some basic cleaning of it, but most importantly it was a working AT with all of the keys. I think I may have paid a bit too much for it, but whatever. My goal was to see what all of the hype surrounding Green SKCL ALPs was, as I love me some linears.

When I recieved it, the switches seemed relatively unremarkable, and I was concerned they were dirty and not great representatives of the SKCL hype. Or maybe it really was all hype? To find out, I decided to completely strip and clean the board including the switches. These boards have a *ridiculous* amount of ping as well, so I aimed to try and cure that as completely as possible. I've had a lot of luck lubing springs in my Filco to get rid of ping, so I decided to do that here too. So I began disassembly.

Nice and grimy. For a "restored" keyboard it sure is dirty... not sure how I feel about that, but I'm not going to point fingers. This is 100% how it looked as unpacked from being shipped.

As I've done with my Model M and Model F, I was planning to sand the plate down and paint it anyway, so really my main concern was just that it worked and had all of the necessary parts, which is did.

It's got a great single-layer PCB, my first (and only) keyboard with one.

Next was desoldering and disassembling the switches. I gave the cases and sliders a bath in denture tabs and a thorough rinsing, then after drying got to lubing the ends of the springs before reassembling them.

I broke some small tabs off of a handful of them, the small wings on the bottom half of the case. Their plastic was very brittle and I think most were fractured slightly when being removed from the plate, but they don't seem to have affected them in a major way.

Next was sanding and painting the plate. I had trouble finding a nice shade of purple, Rustoleum doesn't seem to make any deep purple colors, only bright "OSHA Purple", but I found a similar product by Krylon that I thought I'd try.

I always try and match up the colors I use to be a nice compliment to the rest of the board. I liked the idea of purple complimenting the Green SKCL sliders, and it just so happened that JD started his purple MX and ALPs GeekHack key group buy. The timing couldn't have been better!

It turned out decently, but you can see by the spacebar there's some uneven spots. I'm not completely sure if it was the Krylon, my surface prep, or my painting technique, but overall I considered it good enough. You can't really make out those kinds of details when the board is assembled anyways :)

For this board I wanted to try something a little different. To try and further reduce the ridiculous amount of ping, I originally planned to put shelf liner underneath the PCB to reduce vibrations like I've done on my Filco in the past and others have done frequently. But I didn't really like how I had to cut the shelf liner to fit the angled plate, and it never seemed like a great solution because too much would cause some concerning tightness in fitting the case together, but too little would probably not be very effective.

So I decided to take a page out of the Model F's book and put foam between the plate and PCB. To do so I used the plate as a stencil and cut out holes for each switch with an exacto knife. I had leftover neoprene foam from my Model F restoration which seems to be the perfect thickness, and the single-layer PCB means there aren't many components on the side of the board that faces the plate.

It really does seem to have fit perfectly and the board reassembled without a hitch.

As a nice bonus, avoiding filling the case with stuffing preserved the flex afforded by the plate being mounted to the top of the plastic case. There's a nice bit of give that I think really compliments the SKCL Green's very suble tactility, almost like an extremely (and I mean extremely) subtle version of polycarb-mounted MX Clears.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the way the board turned out. The scratchiness that was present on the switches prior to cleaning seems to have gone away for the most part, though it might benefit from a dry lube in the future; the nice thing about ALPs is they can be opened without desoldering! I think it's a great example of the strengths of SKCL switches, they feel really great and are a nice change from linear MX which is all I'd had experience with before for linears. The keyboard also has a great sound to it, the caps aren't super thick, but they make a very satisfying plastic-y sound. It reminds me a lot of what typing sounds like in The Talos Principle, if you're a fan of puzzle games like me :)

Big thanks to E3E for hooking me up with a perfect black XT label, and thanks for reading!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Zenith Green SKCL Alps Restoration Log
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 17:49:18 »
That plate! good job on restoring this board bro  :thumb:

so what linear switches that you prefer now?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 19:01:50 »
The mat idea surprised but interested me.

My top-shelf Alps boards are Omnikey 101s but they cannot be separated. My "other" preferred Alps keyboards are Dell AT101Ws and I may build another one soon to test "click-modded" orange. When I do, I will add the foam layer for sure.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 20:07:58 »
That plate! good job on restoring this board bro  :thumb:

so what linear switches that you prefer now?

So far I've tried stock modern MX Reds, Gateron Blacks with 62g springs and Krytox 104 (I've stated different lube weights for these in a few places but just finally looked up what Spirit sold me and his invoice says 104), vintage MX Blacks on my 356 Mini with unknown lube, these unlubed SKCL Greens, and my recent Burroughs Hall Effect terminal lubed with CorrosionX and between all of those the vintage MX Blacks completely take the cake for me, not even close. Probably followed by SKCL Greens and then Gaterons (the Gateron's don't feel as rigid as the vintage MX's). SKCL have a unique key travel that makes them more fun that average linears. Hall Effect perform poorly on off-center hits and mine were pretty scratchy prior to lubing (they also can't be cleaned easily) but they have an incredibly sturdiness, build quality, and longevity. They might have been better with the thicker Krytox 104, who knows.

If there's one thing I've learned for sure it's that every switch, even ones in the same batch, can have lots of variation depending on how they're used, mounted, and lubed. So it's a crap shoot when you start comparing them all very closely.

The mat idea surprised but interested me.

My top-shelf Alps boards are Omnikey 101s but they cannot be separated. My "other" preferred Alps keyboards are Dell AT101Ws and I may build another one soon to test "click-modded" orange. When I do, I will add the foam layer for sure.

To be honest I can't say how much of an effect it really had, I just wanted to try it out. Would have probably been best if I'd done that prior to lubing the springs so that I could have done a proper assessment. But I can say that now the board has 0 ping, so at least something worked  :))
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 05:00:00 »
Thanks for the reply man! yea I don't know why but I prefer my old mx blacks which is really scratchy instead of green alps but yeah green alps is a lot smoother but mx blacks takes the cake from me too after I tried 55g springs on them.

Green alps may be really smooth but the key travel is a bit weird for me haha. what plate did you use in your 356 mini? Alu plate or half plate?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 20:16:49 »
Green alps may be really smooth but the key travel is a bit weird for me haha. what plate did you use in your 356 mini? Alu plate or half plate?

I kind of like the shorter travel, it's a nice change from Cherry once and a while.

My Mini has a full plate.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 20:21:18 »

I kind of like the shorter travel, it's a nice change from Cherry once and a while.

My Mini has a full plate.
Noice!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 10:15:46 »
Great to see you restoring the board instead of cannibalizing one like I did :(. Nice work :). And that spraypaint job looks good.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 03:01:14 »
Purple plate on beige is my favorite part of this