Author Topic: my unicomp  (Read 13050 times)

Offline williamjoseph

my unicomp
« on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 05:56:34 »
well, after 3 and 1/2 months on my Unicomp "on-the-ball" which is the customizer model with the trackball added "i would guess as an afterthought" its time to jot some notes down about it. my old thread here: linky. I love it, its a fast typer much superior to any blister keyboard for feel and speed, absolutely crisp strokes, and i have resolved myself to keep this as my primary keyboarding device.  "here it comes...."  HOWEVER, a couple of annoying observance i do have. First: I opted for the USB model, my reasoning was i wanted to use only one port on my pc, and not take up the ps2 ports as the ps2 model has two separate connectors.  i assume the keyboard has a built in USB data switch/router that allows it to send the keyboard data and trackball data at the same time. when i restart my computer or do a full shut down, i must fully unplug and then plug in again the keyboard for it to be recognized again by the PC.  I have tried it on my big-rig, Linky, on my old 1.4 amd platform, and my two netbooks all hold the same problem. as for sound, it's nice and lovely.  I get to keep my wife awake in the nights while doing my college work, and yes, she is slowly pulling out her hair with the clicks "evil little grin".  all the keys on the board seem to only require the same force for a stroke, the finish is average, and you are able to tell where the keys were molded as the flashing is easily observed by holding the board at a certain angle.  Second: The trackball on the other hand is totally unacceptable.  I feel like a drunken orangutan using it, as there is barely any accuracy with the mechanical rollers within it. I have had better luck with an antique IBM mechanical track ball mouse than this trackball.

as for any regrets, I probably should have gotten the customizer with the extra $20 used for the trackball going for blank keys from unicomp, but this monkey just wanted more buttons. the only plans I have is to dye the keys all black or just get the blank ones from unicomp, and open the board and replace the green LED indicator lights with bright blue ones, you can hardly see the green LEDs (I'm assuming theyre old IBM stock).

in closure, just get the Customizer.

Unicomp File Photo of the "On-the-Ball":

Unicomp File Photo of the "Customizer"

Offline mmgoose

my unicomp
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 06:16:12 »
i actually like the ontheball looks better than the customizer (but with the blanks of course).

fiddle with the acceleration/sensitivity settings on it, perhaps you might find a sweet spot.
Customizer Ultimate

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
my unicomp
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 06:17:17 »
What was the 'antique IBM trackball' that you used?

Offline williamjoseph

my unicomp
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 06:50:14 »
Occationally use this: File Photo

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
my unicomp
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 06:53:18 »
Ah yes, I was thinking as much. Im getting one for Christmas. Out of curiosity, what is the tracking like on a modern computer with a hi-res screen?

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
my unicomp
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 07:08:56 »
When I ordered my Spacesaver, I just requested it with blank keys. Didn't cost me any extra.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
my unicomp
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 14:08:35 »
Quote from: williamjoseph;141301
Occationally use this: File Photo

Show Image

I've been using mine for almost a year. It's great for use with laptop computers.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ocdonkb

my unicomp
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 15:52:40 »
Maybe I'm just picky, but I can't stand the look of the black customizer/spacesaver, with the white keys.

Black case, with black keycaps. Very sexy. Like the Filco/Realforce.

White/beige case, with same color keycaps. Very business, professional like.

IBM Industrial dark grey/beige on white/beige keys. sexy and business like. The best color scheme yet. Love it.

But black casing, with white keycaps - sorry these just don't mix well. imho of course.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 December 2009, 16:02:16 by ocdonkb »
| Filco Brown 87 key | Realforce 87U | Unicomp Spacesaver | IBM Model M | Cherry ML4100 | Dell AT101W | Focus 2001 |

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
my unicomp
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 16:06:49 »
They're more like a light silver. It's actually not too bad, but I wish they had fixed the problems with their black keycaps nonetheless.

Offline itlnstln

my unicomp
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 16:10:08 »
There's always blank, black caps.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
my unicomp
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 16:43:56 »
Quote from: ocdonkb;141490
Maybe I'm just picky, but I can't stand the look of the black customizer/spacesaver, with the white keys.

Black case, with black keycaps. Very sexy. Like the Filco/Realforce.

Show Image

White/beige case, with same color keycaps. Very business, professional like.

Show Image

IBM Industrial dark grey/beige on white/beige keys. sexy and business like. The best color scheme yet. Love it.

Show Image

But black casing, with white keycaps - sorry these just don't mix well. imho of course.

Don't call keyboards sexy.

And, I noticed that your LCD has a blue frame. Never seen anything like that before.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ocdonkb

my unicomp
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 16:59:42 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;141537
And, I noticed that your LCD has a blue frame. Never seen anything like that before.

sorry, that pic isn't mine. I just googled, and it came up.
| Filco Brown 87 key | Realforce 87U | Unicomp Spacesaver | IBM Model M | Cherry ML4100 | Dell AT101W | Focus 2001 |

Offline Xuan

my unicomp
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 December 2009, 13:43:48 »
What about a color mix?

Offline Xuan

my unicomp
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 December 2009, 13:59:25 »
Hehe, you have a memory!
Yes the alphabet keys are from that board, I didn't switch the rest because it was an Spanish Layout and the symbols are in different places.
But the numbers in the pad (note they do not have arrows and stuff) are from a Terminal model M board a found on the trash (they were two actually but their cords were ripped off so I don't know if they could work).

And no, she owns me a keyboard.

PD: The camera I use for that pic is pretty good, but I suck taking photos.

Offline Xuan

my unicomp
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 December 2009, 14:26:42 »
Wouldn't be cool?, also my birthday is this Monday, sadly good keyboards are hard to find around here (just used Ms, but I'd like to try something new).

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
my unicomp
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 December 2009, 14:48:52 »
It would be interesting to take the light-gray keys from a Unicomp and replace the dark gray ones on a Model M with them. Or do the opposite. Dark and light keys on a Unicomp.

Offline twokatmew

• http://twokatmew.smugmug.com
my unicomp
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 December 2009, 15:06:16 »
I got a Unicomp SpaceSaver a few weeks ago.  I wasn't sure I'd like the sparkly light gray keys with the black case, so I ordered a set of blank black key caps along with it.  I haven't put 'em on yet, as I don't really mind the gray keys.  I'm thinking I might just swap the lettered keys and perhaps the BS, Tab, Caps Lock, Enter, Shift, Alt and Ctrl.

It's been many years since I've typed on a buckling spring, and I'm loving it!
Filco Blue Cherry NKRO, Unicomp SpaceSaver, Filco Brown Cherry NKRO, Rocketfish Wireless Numeric Keypad, MS Comfort Mouse 4500, Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch, MS Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000, 1960s Olympia SM 3.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
my unicomp
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 December 2009, 15:15:42 »
They don't look any different. My friend's Ontheball is the same color is my M5-2 (The 1854th ever made).

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
my unicomp
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 10:29:17 »
Quote from: kishy;144155
Thank you, that's good to know. I'm ordering a "pearl white" trackball retaining ring from Unicomp so it's good to know the colour will match the M5-2 which will be shipping just after "that one big religious holiday on the 25th".

After Christmas? Being politically correct just makes you look silly.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline PRISONER 24601

my unicomp
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 10:40:07 »
Does anyone have a black Unicomp Spacesaver or Customizer with white keys? I think it'd look pretty sweet.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
my unicomp
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 20:07:24 »
All I got is Tennō Tanjōbi here (tomorrow :D).
I have to work on Christmas...
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline Buckling_Summer

• http://www.elitesportservices.com
my unicomp
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 12:27:04 »
Unicomp Spacesaver Black ought to be 100% with Black keys. I would buy it.
PRESENT POSSESSIONS:
 Buckling Spings: IBM Model M 82G2383 Lexmarkian (1995) / IBM Model F PC-AT keyboard 84 keys (6450200)
XM Simplified 1 (Monterey K110 or AK-CN2 or Hua-Jie) Siig MiniTouch KB-1948 GeekHack Spacesaver edition
----------------------------------

Offline williamjoseph

my unicomp
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 16 January 2010, 19:49:14 »
wow, havent looked at my old thread for a while.  glad to see a good little discusion had taken place here.  still quite happy with my keyboard.  now i'm on the hunt for a cherry.  oh god. its begun......

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
my unicomp
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 24 May 2010, 15:07:32 »
Figured this thread was a good place to continue some "on-the-ball" discussion.  :)

I recently placed an order with Unicomp and, on a whim, decided to add a 101-key "on-the-ball" keyboard.  I noticed my order had been delayed...when querying Unicomp, I was informed that they have NEVER made a buckling spring, USB, 101-key on-the-ball keyboard before.  So there was some ramping up to do before they could make it for me.

I've never seen a Unicomp-branded one on eBay that wasn't "quiet touch", so I guess that makes sense...perhaps the 104/105 model are simply more popular for the BS fans.

Just thought that was interesting.

Offline itlnstln

my unicomp
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 24 May 2010, 15:13:27 »
I think a lot of people like having the Windows keys for the extra modifiers.  That's the vibe I get anyway.

Offline hyperlinked

my unicomp
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 24 May 2010, 15:17:43 »
Quote from: itlnstln;186450
I think a lot of people like having the Windows keys for the extra modifiers.  That's the vibe I get anyway.

If you're using programs like Photoshop, you can't live without having the Wondows/Option key because a lot of shortcuts use them.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
my unicomp
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 24 May 2010, 15:21:36 »
Quote from: iMav;186449
Figured this thread was a good place to continue some "on-the-ball" discussion.  :)

I recently placed an order with Unicomp and, on a whim, decided to add a 101-key "on-the-ball" keyboard.  I noticed my order had been delayed...when querying Unicomp, I was informed that they have NEVER made a buckling spring, USB, 101-key on-the-ball keyboard before.  So there was some ramping up to do before they could make it for me.

I've never seen a Unicomp-branded one on eBay that wasn't "quiet touch", so I guess that makes sense...perhaps the 104/105 model are simply more popular for the BS fans.

Just thought that was interesting.

It would be easy enough for them to make a buckling spring version... Perhaps they never got any orders for buckling spring ones, so they never made them.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
my unicomp
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 24 May 2010, 16:09:46 »
Deck? Do you mean the keyboard assembly?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
my unicomp
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 24 May 2010, 16:17:59 »
Obviously, they are tooled to make it.  (this IS Unicomp, afterall.  They aren't about to sell a one off keyboard)  They just never had an order for one before.

I remap the caps lock as Ctrl and the Ctrl as Command (or Win, depending on the OS).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
my unicomp
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 24 May 2010, 16:26:14 »
Quote from: kishy;186476
Metal thing + plastic barrels + springs + hammers + keys.

"Keyboard assembly" implies the keyboard as a whole.

That's true... I must check the keyboard patents (as distinct from the switch patents) to see what they called it.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Unicomp doesn't have a metal part where you describe as they use the 42H style of internals.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 May 2010, 16:28:22 by ch_123 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
my unicomp
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 24 May 2010, 16:41:35 »
Yes, but I assume you are talking about the exposed part to which the LEDs are attached? In a 42H, the controller is there instead.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
my unicomp
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 24 May 2010, 17:15:08 »
Bare in mind that the case design would be different to (bolted onto a 42H style case instead of a classic Model M style one) so there could be some weird subtle difference there.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
my unicomp
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 24 May 2010, 19:34:28 »
I know my M5-2 has the old-fashioned controller with the big old main-board, where the keyboard and trackball plug into.

Offline aegrotatio

my unicomp
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 25 May 2010, 23:24:07 »
Man, they even have Ctrl keys that have a step in them.
I'll just have to look elsewhere for my Ctrl key needs.  I've tried all the vendors I could find.  One said they could make a batch for $2500.  I guess I'll use Crayola clay or go back to my SIIG Minitouch Plus and BTC mini keyboards instead of my original M1 SpaceSaver for use at work.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow