Author Topic: What ya reading?  (Read 63776 times)

Offline biothermal

• Art
Re: What ya reading?
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 09:46:23 »
Reading through Prey by Michael Crichton
I just finished Mona Lisa Overdrive from William Gibson's The Sprawl Trilogy.
it's a interesting series.
How was it? I've started Neuromancer twice so far and quit about halfway through both times. I'll try one final attempt to get through it and if I don't succeed...I'll burn it.
This is me as well. I need to try and give Neuromancer another shot, especially while in lockdown again.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #251 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 10:09:05 »

give Neuromancer another shot

Although it was highly significant and revelatory at the time (before personal computers were commonplace except for very early adopters, and years before the interwebs were "a thing") it has long since lost its luster.

When I read 1984 in school in the 1960s, that date seemed a long way off. Some components of that one still seem implausible, but "doublethink" (aka "alternative facts") is all around us and growing exponentially amongst the under-educated. 
What this shows is that the Republican Party knows, deep down somewhere, that even before Trump they had less than a policy agenda. All they’ve had for the past decade or so is strategy and tactics to suppress the vote, either through extreme gerrymandering or State-level laws. More often than not, as we’re seeing, through both. Without a stated party platform they are left with nothing but the insanity of The Power Grab and The Big Lie. The Party as a whole has, for some twisted logical reason, decided that America no longer needs Democracy. That in the bent and tortured reality Republicans have created for themselves America was never a Democracy, the Founders never intended for the country’s politics or social order to change, that the country’s democratic features would always only extend to wealthy White Christian property owners. They’ve also, collectively, decided that threatening major, multi-billion dollar corporations that employ tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people worldwide will somehow, for some reason, cower in the corner when State politicians decide to take a few million in subsidies off the table. When faced with hundreds of millions, or even billions, in lost business because The People are voting with their wallet, I know where I’d position my company, and it’s not at the dinner table with Mitch McConnell and his wife.
– **** Scott 2021-04-08

Offline iri

« Reply #252 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 11:11:38 »
As someone who actually lived in a totalitarian country, I find 1984 underwhelming.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • She/they
    • My promotion link
« Reply #253 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 22:06:10 »
ready player two sucked because of trans hate

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #254 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 07:27:11 »
As someone who actually lived in a totalitarian country, I find 1984 underwhelming.

I do not doubt that. We in the West can hardly imagine what it was like, and Orwell probably got it far wrong when he focused more on the personal level rather than a societal one.

My invocation of the 1984 book in relation to Neuromancer was because we are now "as far in the future" from that book today as we were from 1948 in 1984. Both made some startlingly accurate predictions but were mostly off-base.

What this shows is that the Republican Party knows, deep down somewhere, that even before Trump they had less than a policy agenda. All they’ve had for the past decade or so is strategy and tactics to suppress the vote, either through extreme gerrymandering or State-level laws. More often than not, as we’re seeing, through both. Without a stated party platform they are left with nothing but the insanity of The Power Grab and The Big Lie. The Party as a whole has, for some twisted logical reason, decided that America no longer needs Democracy. That in the bent and tortured reality Republicans have created for themselves America was never a Democracy, the Founders never intended for the country’s politics or social order to change, that the country’s democratic features would always only extend to wealthy White Christian property owners. They’ve also, collectively, decided that threatening major, multi-billion dollar corporations that employ tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people worldwide will somehow, for some reason, cower in the corner when State politicians decide to take a few million in subsidies off the table. When faced with hundreds of millions, or even billions, in lost business because The People are voting with their wallet, I know where I’d position my company, and it’s not at the dinner table with Mitch McConnell and his wife.
– **** Scott 2021-04-08

Offline andy55

« Reply #255 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:23:20 »
Cloud Atlas. David Mitchell just has a way of making every single character seem so human and relatable, even those with whom the reader shares absolutely nothing in common.

Offline andy55

« Reply #256 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 10:14:27 »
Vonnegut's novel Breakfast of Champions. It's one of my favorite novels

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 10:30:13 »
Almost done with this one, need to order the next in the line (loving Destiny lore):

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline yui

« Reply #258 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 10:45:41 »
just finished Asimov's Foundation series and started "l'espace d'un an"  ("The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet" in english it seems) from Becky Chambers because the title seemed interesting in the SF aisle, not regretting it so far, although i may bey only about a 1/6 of the way trough it.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #259 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 21:34:04 »
House of Trump House of Putin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40728633-house-of-trump-house-of-putin

Not too long or difficult for people who are casual readers.

– **** Scott 2021-04-08

Offline Tactile

« Reply #260 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 22:01:34 »
Alternate history for a bit of a change.
262217-0

Offline csmertx

• proprietor of waffles
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Linux Geek
    • https://csmertx.github.io
« Reply #261 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 23:32:49 »
Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time), and Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior.

Offline alertArchitect

« Reply #262 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 17:19:32 »

Can confirm, trans hate = suck automatically.

Also, I'm re-reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Favorite author, and I got in a mood for the specific style of story the Mistborn books are. Afterwards I'll probably finally get around to reading Way of Kings again, and from there work my way into finally reading books 3 and 4 of the Stormlight Archive.

Another on my list is Gideon the Ninth, as my sister loved it, heartily recommends it, and her, my mother, and I are doing a little book club thing for it.

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #263 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 17:57:24 »

It also just... wasn't anywhere near as good. Got way too esoteric in its niche, made it not as universal as the first one.

Also, I'm re-reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Favorite author, and I got in a mood for the specific style of story the Mistborn books are. Afterwards I'll probably finally get around to reading Way of Kings again, and from there work my way into finally reading books 3 and 4 of the Stormlight Archive.

Another on my list is Gideon the Ninth, as my sister loved it, heartily recommends it, and her, my mother, and I are doing a little book club thing for it.

Big props to not only 3 and 4 of stormlight, but also 3.5. Dawnshard was dope. Especially compared to Edgedancer (at least in my opinion, I wasn't really a huge fan of that one)

Offline franciscourant

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 18:36:55 »
I was reading principles of anatomy and physiology, very interesting, especially the chapters on cells and tissues. I stopped reading because I'm too addicted to the computer it seems.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #265 on: Sat, 06 March 2021, 13:16:30 »
263868-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #266 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 08:11:52 »
Tim Wu will be a special adviser to President Biden on technology. This is great news! He is a brilliant thinker and an astute observer.

I am sure that I posted these 2 books way far back in this list, but I will bring them forward here. In my opinion, these are seminal books of recent years that should be read by everybody who is interested in the changes to our society precipitated by the explosion of technology and its near-universal adoption.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8201080-the-master-switch?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=KMr196jChj&rank=1

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28503628-the-attention-merchants?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=4clvlO0KnS&rank=1
– **** Scott 2021-04-08

Offline andy55

« Reply #267 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 04:12:53 »
The Bear Comes Home by Rafi Zabor. It’s about a jazz musician struggling to make it in New York, going through his failed friendships/relationships, his struggle to get a record contract

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #268 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 02:40:08 »

I need to re-read the first three Stormlight books - I went to pick up the new one and realized I barely remembered what had happened.

I have mixed feelings on Gideon. The setting is interesting, the book is well written, and it's great to see more LGBTQIA+ representation in sci-fi/fantasy. But (slight spoilers, though nothing that I think isn't apparent from the Amazon description of the novel) I think the power imbalance makes things feel a bit Stockholm Syndrome-y to me.

Offline alertArchitect

« Reply #269 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 08:54:42 »
I need to re-read the first three Stormlight books - I went to pick up the new one and realized I barely remembered what had happened.

I have mixed feelings on Gideon. The setting is interesting, the book is well written, and it's great to see more LGBTQIA+ representation in sci-fi/fantasy. But (slight spoilers, though nothing that I think isn't apparent from the Amazon description of the novel) I think the power imbalance makes things feel a bit Stockholm Syndrome-y to me.

That's fair. Honestly, though, my sister gushes over it and she's the one out of us that's already read it, so I'll be going into it with a critical eye, if for no other reason than so we can discuss the book and not just how much we love the book, and actually go into discussing the themes and events in it.

Offline AFA STUDIO

« Reply #270 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 10:51:30 »
Catia is reading a 3D modeling book!