Author Topic: IBM custom SSK case?  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Phenix

IBM custom SSK case?
« on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 14:32:47 »
Hi

Just would like to know if it would make sense trying to build such an case for an SSK
http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard-shtml/

(Will try to build the F-SSK (cutting down plate..) and need an nice case)
So wether I do it like in the link or cut down the existing case - which way would better?
Winter is coming.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM custom SSK case?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 18:55:25 »
That steampunk keyboard is stunningly beautiful and a somewhat similar project has been on my "to-do" list for quite a while.

That said, the IBM SSK is a sought-after keyboard and, arguably, the most valuable component of the "SSK" is the case (because you can "cut and fit" all the other pieces from cheap ordinary Model Ms) so my advice is:

Regardless of whatever else you do, preserve the SSK case and muck around with the rest of it.

All of that said, going to that level of time and effort on a Model M is ludicrous. Make it a Model F project.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 19:19:25 »
I don't see those keyboards as being at all practical, or aesthetically pleasing. Looks like a prop from The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

I can't imagine that they are comfortable to type on.

...but hey, do whatever makes you happy. Who gives a **** about what anyone else thinks?
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 21:10:02 »
That typing video - the keyboard sounds very quiet.  I'm using one of my full size Model M at the moment, and it is many times louder than that.

Would that be a side-effect of the construction method and materials?  Or perhaps just room acoustics?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Phenix

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 08:41:52 »
Do not worry - it will be an F-SSK

(I still have no SSK (eventough I will most likely get one in October when I am in New York (Shipping to Germany is expensive as hell))

My plan was buying an Model M - done
do screw mod
cut plate
wait for pcb/flippers/xwhatsit
meanwhile build an case (wether cut the Model M case - could get hard+mostly likely will look worse OR use this one above which should look quite nice.)

--
How is the plate attached to the construction? (I assume it just fits in, no screws.. or?

@Fohat:
Cutting the plate should be quite easy, but how do you want to make the matrix fit so that all keys are recognized? (Would prefer an nice picture or instructions, was also tempted to build an 70% Model M)
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 April 2016, 08:44:45 by Phenix »
Winter is coming.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 11:48:19 »
another method would be to (at least) try to use acrylic (for an case like the SSK).

I think the bottom is not the biggest problem, but I am quite worried about the top plate (at least if it needs to have the curve)
Winter is coming.