Author Topic: G’s Legacy: Huge Insane Keyboard Giveaway  (Read 4029 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
G’s Legacy: Huge Insane Keyboard Giveaway
« on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 23:45:35 »
update:

threads updated - nearly everything is available again

I think prices are low enough now.

everyone refunded.

new payment modes accepted.

rant: despite the massive lowering of prices and making of many keyboards FREE, the bizarre thing is that almost no one has requested for a free board. Instead some people seemed to read that I was offering Model M SSKs for free, wtf. Do I have to pay people to use the M-122 format? Is a NIB IBM Green Alps board not worth paying shipping for? The next time someone posts an unteensied Model F XT on ebay, you should ask him to pay you to take it off his hands. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:46:25 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline pesky brat

Re: G’s Legacy: Huge Insane Keyboard Giveaway
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 23:49:31 »
Cool that you're doing the giveaway, but it's sad that it came to this :( When PayPal works it works well, but the headaches I've read about are awful. I hope your stuff finds good homes :thumb:

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 00:05:00 »
Just another thought:

People who have paid me, be careful during this period and don't do anything to upset paypal.

PP records and blacklists both parties in any failed transaction. As far as they are concerned you could very well be Nigerian hackers trying to launder money into Singapore.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 03:42:58 »
Sorry that you're going through this, dude. Paypal is a bag of ****s and its ****-the-sellers policy will bite itself in the ass as soon as a good alternative starts gaining ground (Google Wallet please).

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 04:01:05 »
Ugh! What a douchebag this PayPal is. They are like a licensed Mafia! I'm sad! Would love to try that jailhouse modded keyboard that I bought. I can still ask a friend in Singapore to transfer you the money (if PP is refund successful) if you'd like. PM me.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 04:01:53 »
Sorry that you're going through this, dude. Paypal is a bag of ****s and its ****-the-sellers policy will bite itself in the ass as soon as a good alternative starts gaining ground (Google Wallet please).

I have the worst of both worlds, a country/system that is highly regulated, and one that is pro business aka pro paypal.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 04:28:09 »
You know, it just occurred to me. What about if people Moneygram to you? Isn't that a option? Do you get charge for money coming into your account via Moneygram?

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 04:53:29 »
You know, it just occurred to me. What about if people Moneygram to you? Isn't that a option? Do you get charge for money coming into your account via Moneygram?

Huh? What is moneygram?

(I hate pp but have been using it for too long...)

You're another of those guys on my refund list. I'm just waiting for more Group Buy organizers to talk about their experiences before I decide what to do. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 05:20:18 »
First off, very sad to hear about your personal situation. I am going through some rough patches as well, I can imagine the stress. Stress is a b*tch.

Second, I would be interested in model m / f. I could also wire transfer if that is an option. I believe my bank allows me to transfer money worldwide (no idea where you at)

MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 05:42:05 »

Huh? What is moneygram?

(I hate pp but have been using it for too long...)

You're another of those guys on my refund list. I'm just waiting for more Group Buy organizers to talk about their experiences before I decide what to do. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Moneygram and another popular transfer is Western Union. It's highly popular among foreign workers sending money back home. They go to Moneygram or Western Union booth - usually setup in convenient stores like 7-11. I can go there and send money to someone in Singapore. They give me a code. I give you that code. You take that code to any Moneygram counter and cash it out. Very easy to send money that way. They are everywhere!!

Offline 3K

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 06:06:34 »
Sounds terrible... why did PayPal even touch your money? What was their explanation?

Also related question, what happens to deals that were agreed on but are unpaied at the moment?

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 08:05:33 »
Sounds terrible... why did PayPal even touch your money? What was their explanation?

Also related question, what happens to deals that were agreed on but are unpaied at the moment?

You, 3K? Should not be a problem since Wodan is using bank transfer to pay for u. At most my organization is a mess.

Paypal never needs an explanation for whatever they do. They have all rights. That's why I always tell buyers to use credit card to fund their paypal and not to leave any balance in paypal. Credit card companies are much more legally accountable than pp. Unfortunately I also made that mistake in having $400 in my account that I didn't use/spend immediately. So I am the biggest single loser until PP unfreezes the account.

Belfong has given me an idea. I don't know how that works but must investigate. Moneygram definitely sounds good and easy to do - 7-11s are everywhere including near my home!

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 10:20:34 »
Yeah, many Indonesian/Philippines maids who are working in Malaysia and Singapore, use Moneygram or Western Union to transfer money back to their family. That means, back in Indonesia/Philippines rural areas, there are Moneygram or Western Union agents able to let the family obtain the funds. It's a very easy way to transfer cash without having to go through banks and needing bank accounts. Hope this solution works for you.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 10:38:29 »
Man those circumstances are brutal... I hope everything gets sorted out.  Have you considered payments with bitcoin?  Accounts don't get suspended, transaction fees are in pennies and money is transferred very fast.  You can cash out to whatever currency you prefer.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 22:48:49 »
Man those circumstances are brutal... I hope everything gets sorted out.  Have you considered payments with bitcoin?  Accounts don't get suspended, transaction fees are in pennies and money is transferred very fast.  You can cash out to whatever currency you prefer.

Trust someone called cryptokey to say this!
 :p :p :p :p :p :p

bitcoin I'll look into it, ty.

BTW all refunds have been publicly posted.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 23:30:47 »
Dude, I am sorry to hear about all of the problems.  If feels like they are just stacking up.  I really do hope things turn for the better soon and you are able to get into your new house with everyone safely. 

If it helps, I don't mind being a proxy in the US for a few orders (<7 or so).  That way, you can just ship me one or 2 large boxes and the local buyers can just pay me for shipping.   :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline jaffers

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 00:26:26 »
Damn man, that really sucks, hopefully I can help you out and carry on some of your projects and love

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 04:56:24 »
I've had a few issues in the past, and got a few now.  I can only imagine how I would have coped if I had had several of those happening at the same time, so I can only suggest that you should be able to resolve most of these in some way or other, and in, say, even 10 years you'll look back on this as lessons you learned, and hopefully even be able to laugh again.  Until then I hope you can resolve things as soon and as smoothly as possible.

I'm still struggling for large amounts of funds, but shipping cost on a F122 (ANSI/Teensy) would be doable (unless you are in a far distant land with excessive shipping costs).  Shipping to Melbourne, Australia if you need to get a quote.

Good luck! :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 08:06:49 »
I am very sorry to hear about your loss in all of this. If you need help to distribute state side let me know.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 09:56:24 »
Thank you everyone.

What makes it so infuriating, is that I haven't done anything suspicious except for the sin of collecting more money in a short period than I normally do. It wasn't even a lot of money, only $1k USD.

I haven't tried to move my paypal balance, or send people money, or buy things. I figured the money could be left for the kids' stuff. The entire balance for the past few months was untouched when they suddenly clamped down.

I do remember reading this piece of advice: never leave money in your paypal account. Money isn't yours until you actually get it in your real bank account. Otherwise it is at paypal's mercy.

Offline Mrs. Butter

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 14:38:06 »
I don't think there's anyone here that would feel comfortable leeching from your unfortunate situation.

What you're proposing seems rather drastic and perhaps very unnecessary.
With time, usually the right answer will present itself.

Anyone here versed in finance things who can think of a reasonable non-headache safe payment alternative? Like google wallet, or something else?
Silent RF 87u / CM Novatouch / Leopold FC660c

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 14:39:10 »
I don't think there's anyone here that would feel comfortable leeching from your unfortunate situation.

What you're proposing seems rather drastic and perhaps very unnecessary.
With time, usually the right answer will present itself.

Anyone here versed in finance things who can think of a reasonable non-headache safe payment alternative? Like google wallet, or something else?

Problem with Google Wallet is that it is not offered internationally (from what I've read).

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 14:42:01 »
PayPal so annoying sometimes. Sorry to hear about all your troubles.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 15:27:08 »
PayPal so annoying sometimes. Sorry to hear about all your troubles.

Eventually things can be sorted out, but not likely to be in time for May 2 shipments. So I'll slashing prices and hoping things can move!

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 15:39:16 »
Damn, Paypal can be so frustrating sometimes. So the problem was only that you collected a "large" sum of money in a "short" amount of time? That's absolutely ridiculous. Hope things work out in the end for you.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 21:02:36 »
Damn, Paypal can be so frustrating sometimes. So the problem was only that you collected a "large" sum of money in a "short" amount of time? That's absolutely ridiculous. Hope things work out in the end for you.

I've never had anyone file paypal complaint on me before.

That 'large' sum was nowhere near group buy levels. It was just 4x my monthly average.

And even more infuriatingly, I had not done anything suspicious. Not as if I was grabbing every transaction as it came in and transferring it to a Nigerian bank. My funds balance had remained in Paypal for months untouched. Neither have I attempted to buy something clearly unacceptable under Singapore law - eg tried to check out a shopping cart at some gun shop online, tried to pay for online lottery tickets, etc.

I've read somewhere that pp doesn't like you exceeding 4-5x your monthly average so I did try to avoid large payments by paypal.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 22:01:26 »
what the hell, that's ****ing bull****. as much as i want free stuff, seeing somebody's collection go out for pennies is more painful than i would look past. maybe if you can have a friend hold onto your boxes until paypal fixes its **** or you find a better payment method, you can get what the keyboards are worth.

Offline harlw

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 00:55:42 »
Sorry to hear about your situation bud, paypal is first on my hit list, has been for a long time. Booooo!

I suggested it before, perhaps you could do one or two bulk shipments to someone in the US that can ship the items individually for you so you have more time to get the money thing sorted out. It would also be easier to sell the stuff as nobody has to worry about long or expensive shipping once it's here.

Just a thought. I'd consider it if no other reputable party has time. If I did it, I would put a 6mo time limit on housing the stuff though.

Hope it all gets sorted for you soon.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline rurushu

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 01:16:37 »
sad to hear the disaster that is happening to you, it makes me sadder than you are selling off your whole collection  :'(

hope you still hangout around here in GH even after you quit keyboarding  :'(

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 04:15:25 »
Noo don't quit keyboarding! Really you quitting boards? WHY

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 07:54:55 »

I wrote an essay about that somewhere.

Basically, I'd turned keyboarding into an escapist hobby.

It's not healthy.

A grown man should be doing things for his family. EG instead of dremeling metal plates, he should be doing home repairs and not leave everything to the mercy of dishonest contractors.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 08:02:56 »
So sad to hear man, my account once had been limited too and it took me like months with several call to Singapore to solve the problem? :( sometime PP act just like an ******* :(

While I'd like to take some IBMs, don't quit keyboarding man :(
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 08:08:05 »

I wrote an essay about that somewhere.

Basically, I'd turned keyboarding into an escapist hobby.

It's not healthy.

A grown man should be doing things for his family. EG instead of dremeling metal plates, he should be doing home repairs and not leave everything to the mercy of dishonest contractors.

I don't want to intervene or tell you what to do in any way, so don't take it that way please.

What I have been discovering myself, is that when I decided to "grow up", I threw all my "geek habits" out of the window: gaming, pc building, etc. I ditched it all. Threw away all my hardware. Bought a Mac. "Done with that crap."

It really made me unhappy. I'm now living with my GF and back in gaming since a year (PS4 for now), back in photography (since this weekend) and back into keyboards since a couple of years, but more seriously for the last months.

I agree with you: it is very important being able to support your family. And when keyboards as a true addiction (like drugs or alcohol) gets in the way of supporting your family, that is probably not that healthy.

But for me, keyboards (and the other stuff I've described) is also about relaxing. Do something else. Having a hobby for fun.

My work is intense: I do consultancy, academic research, and programming. Competition everywhere. Raises, promotions, new projects, etc.

I also need relaxing time and time off.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 18:13:20 »
Where can we see the updated thread? I'd be more than happy to but a Model M off of you ;D

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 02:13:19 »
So sad to hear man, my account once had been limited too and it took me like months with several call to Singapore to solve the problem? :( sometime PP act just like an ******* :(

While I'd like to take some IBMs, don't quit keyboarding man :(

Total of 4 IBM boards are pending now, but it won't be until several days that I can consider paid.

Care to share your experience of limited account taking months to resolve? It seems to be all over the place. Some people resolve within an hour's phone call, some take 6 months before paypal will free their monies.

Offline Chungas

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:21:19 »
Sorry to hear you are going through tough times man. Like others have said, don't give up keyboards entirely. You will cherish the ones you hang on to.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk