Author Topic: Whats it like using a trackball?  (Read 568 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• AKA Bitba_t. Loves keebs and Quora.
    • My promotion link
Whats it like using a trackball?
« on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 19:57:07 »
What is it like using a trackball for work, games or general computing? How is the feel of the trackball? Mushy? I have no idea how to use a trackball, but i might be getting one for my left hand.
Sent from a trash bin.

Bitba_t

My keeb :P

Offline vegs

Re: Whats it like using a trackball?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 03:32:14 »
I've been using a CST L-Trac at work the last 3 months. The closest comparison I can make is to a precise trackpad. It requires similar hand movement, but it feels a bit more snappy and comfortable to use in my opinion.

The main appeal for trackballs is ergonomics. It helps especially well if you struggle with arm or wrist pain.

I wouldn't want to use it for gaming though, unless you have major issues with using traditional mice.
HHKB356mini | Groda-T | Salamander | UNIKORN (soon)

Offline csmertx

• proprietor of waffles
  • * Elevated Elder
    • https://csmertx.github.io
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 09:20:27 »
Some glide better than others.  One of the weird instances in which a laser input device is subjectively better than the optical counterpart.
More
 / another 3d keyboard model thread / BSD thread / github / falotalt
...Especially the Florida cousins, who obviously can't take a hint.

Offline Kyi195

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 21:10:57 »
I use some old Logitech wired trackball at work (wireless doesn't work through our office KVM unfortunately).  Honestly, I really like it.  Movements are nice and smooth and I feel like I have a lot of control over where the mouse is going.  Only real downside I guess would be, like with old optical mice, you have to clean the trackball's contact points.  For me it's 3 lil teflon feet in the ball's recess.  I probably clean em every week or 2.  Keeps the action nice and smooth

Offline Timbersawdust

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 09:56:24 »
I have a Logitech M570 for work. It does wonders for wrist discomfort compared to traditional mice. It took a long time to get used to but I think I am more productive with it.

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 10:30:52 »
I use an expert mouse by Kensington for working and a G502 at home because I play a lot. I prefer this to a vertical mouse.
With time it’s very fast, confortable and precise.

The two reason for using a trackball for me is : 
 - To change the position of the body by switching to the mouse at home and the trackball at work. I expect to reduce many wrist trouble.
 - The tilt (inclinaison) wich is better than a standard mouse.

Pro tips :
 - Never buy one without scroll wheel.
 -  Bigger balls are the best and I have tested and trashed multiple cheap device. Basically don’t buy a kensington Orbit or Orbit with scrollring because the small sphere make the device imprecise and to light. http://xahlee.info/kbd/trackball_ball_sizes.html
 - See the Xahlee website for more information about trackballs.

Bépo user here : TM2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, Logitech K400 bépo-redneckified, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, many Griffiti wrist-pads…

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 10:45:33 »
When I started having arm pain from using a regular mouse, I switched to a wireless trackball from Logitech and never looked back. Sure, I had thumb pain at first but haven't had any since. Arm pain went away since switching to one too. Super easy to clean the dust out when the ball isn't as responsive.
Current drivers: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, HHKB Pro 2 (lubed). Niz Plum EC87-S 35g once I mod it with some BKE Redux Ultra Light domes and lube the stabs. Big fan of electrostatic capacitive keyboards as you can tell. :)

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740 (scissor switches). Used to own a TKL Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red switches briefly.

Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P