Author Topic: Realforce (Topre) keyset availability  (Read 7021 times)

Offline the_marsbar

Realforce (Topre) keyset availability
« on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 03:57:07 »
Is it going to be impossible to find blank Realforce keysets? I'd be very interested in a pink (cherry blossom) or yellow. I've been looking for a while, but haven't seen any for sale (when the sale was on at some point last year, I didn't know much about mechanical keyboards).

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
Re: Realforce (Topre) keyset availability
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 04:55:19 »
Classifieds is probably your only hope. And offering lots of $. And even then, I'm not sure if you will be successful. Lots of others have tried and failed.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 06:06:45 »
Few and far between is the lot of the poor RealForce owners these days.

Even widebasket only has a few printed sets left.

I did hear a rumour that production might resume at some stage, but don't hold your breath.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 06:50:29 »
I've searched far and wide for these sets for the better part of a year, and have managed to obtain two (which I love). one was through lots of luck, and the other was from lots of cash.

some of the sets are relatively less rare, others I've never seen a recent photo of

a few sets have popped up for sale around here and reddit, but they're mostly priced at $150+ USD

like Belfong said, one of the best ways would be to express your interests in the classifieds, and just wait

good luck

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 06:52:07 »
I would kill someone for green blanks or red blanks

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 07:00:29 »
I think printed sets are still pretty common. But the blanks - those are lost artifacts!

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 07:10:34 »
I think printed sets are still pretty common. But the blanks - those are lost artifacts!

i still have nightmares after missing two hendyzone restocks of pink blanks...

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 07:12:27 »
You did pretty well, nmur, being able to grab two sets. What colour are those? Red and?

Offline yomammary

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 08:31:51 »
White blanks please!
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 08:48:20 »
You did pretty well, nmur, being able to grab two sets. What colour are those? Red and?

blue, both printed

goes really well with my white realforce

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 14:55:04 »
Thanks. That's what I feared.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, hoping they'll resume production. They non-printed sets are so nice. I'm happy with the white/grey and black keysets that I currenly have, but I wouldn't mind adding a bit of color :)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 17:21:43 »
Excuse my ignorance, but why is this the case?  Is there a patent preventing the mass production of blanks or something?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 18:22:36 »
Excuse my ignorance, but why is this the case?  Is there a patent preventing the mass production of blanks or something?

Topre is the only company capable of mass manufacturing the sets (because they have the molds) and have stopped production on the sets. People have looked into the possibility of SP running sets, but they've determined the molds to be too costly to produce. Topre already ran a new run of the printed sets, but it looks like that's the closest we'll be getting to new sets in the near future. Time to Novatouch up!
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 21:46:36 »
White blanks please!

You might almost get by with a couple of HHKB blank white sets ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 21:50:53 »

Topre is the only company capable of mass manufacturing the sets (because they have the molds) and have stopped production on the sets. People have looked into the possibility of SP running sets, but they've determined the molds to be too costly to produce. Topre already ran a new run of the printed sets, but it looks like that's the closest we'll be getting to new sets in the near future. Time to Novatouch up!

Okay that makes more sense, thanks for the clarification.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 22:14:49 »

Okay that makes more sense, thanks for the clarification.

No problem. It's something that doesn't come up as often as you would probably think.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline yomammary

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 08:28:18 »
White blanks please!

You might almost get by with a couple of HHKB blank white sets ...
Almost isn't good enough for me  :cool:
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 03:36:58 »
Who would one contact in order to let Topre know that there's a demand for these keysets?

Offline dunglefinker

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 10:33:40 »
Someday I'm gonna get that red japanese legends set. SOMEDAY

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 11:30:21 »
Who would one contact in order to let Topre know that there's a demand for these keysets?
A few people have contacted them. Their response was they would do it, but at an insane MOQ per color. This was last summer, so I doubt much has changed.  You could always reach out though.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 11:56:31 »

Feels like I'm a tomb raider with some lost artifacts!  :)   I might be willing to trade so if anyone interested please PM me for details. Oh and I will ship to US address only (lower 48 states) so please make sure you have a US address or at least a proxy if you're not in US.

That white one is strictly for HHKB.

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2016, 12:00:31 by reaper »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 12:43:06 »
That pink set... Too good.

Feels like I'm a tomb raider with some lost artifacts!  :)   I might be willing to trade so if anyone interested please PM me for details. Oh and I will ship to US address only (lower 48 states) so please make sure you have a US address or at least a proxy if you're not in US.

That white one is strictly for HHKB.

Show Image

| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)