Author Topic: EXE TKL (A.87U based pcb) questions/answers  (Read 11349 times)

Offline kohi

EXE TKL (A.87U based pcb) questions/answers
« on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 13:03:42 »
So I received a TKL kit, and it came with an A.87U based pcb. I had some trouble figuring out which diode/resistors to use. I thought the pcb used through hole switch diodes and smd led resistors, but upon inspection, I saw that some of the switches had a T4 smd switch diode presoldered onto the surface mount pads.. so now I'm kinda confused.. if anyone could help, I'd appreciate it

« Last Edit: Sat, 23 July 2016, 18:13:11 by hojunski »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Question about diode/resistors on an A.87U based pcb
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 04:30:25 »
Completely rewritten as worked this out, not been awake long enough :))

There are SMD diode pads connected to through hole pads, which are the outer ones of the rows of 4 (the middle two are for the in switch LED) This design is for switches with diodes inside but there's no reason you shouldn't use them - keep the leads short and solder on the back (same side as the diode itself) so the switch can sit flush.

Did you buy the board new?  There's flux residue near the soldered diode and the through hole pad above has solder on.  Looks to me like a previous owner started a build but didn't get far...
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2016, 04:48:57 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kohi

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 13:26:49 »
Completely rewritten as worked this out, not been awake long enough :))

There are SMD diode pads connected to through hole pads, which are the outer ones of the rows of 4 (the middle two are for the in switch LED) This design is for switches with diodes inside but there's no reason you shouldn't use them - keep the leads short and solder on the back (same side as the diode itself) so the switch can sit flush.

Did you buy the board new?  There's flux residue near the soldered diode and the through hole pad above has solder on.  Looks to me like a previous owner started a build but didn't get far...

ah okay, so essentially they're the same thing? - so you can choose to use through hole or smd diode pads for the switches? then where would I solder in the LED resistors?
and I got the PCB from a TKL kit that feng sold - he said it was preassembled, but when I got it, it was missing pretty all the diodes except for the top row, so yeah, he didn't get far lol.. and lot of flux residue :c hopefully it doesn't damage the pcb, but then again, I don't know how old it is..

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 15:06:28 »
Yeah the diodes work the same, take your pick.  Even soldering on the same side through hole will be easier doing it by hand but use the SMDs if they're already there.  As long as it's flux designed for PCBs it souldn't do any damage and feng is no newbie so you're good there.  It just doesn't look pretty :))

As for resistors they don't go anywhere in those pics (unless PR4 next to the little chip in the first pic is one) - have you touched an LED to the pads to check they don't work?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kohi

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 15:34:41 »
Yeah the diodes work the same, take your pick.  Even soldering on the same side through hole will be easier doing it by hand but use the SMDs if they're already there.  As long as it's flux designed for PCBs it souldn't do any damage and feng is no newbie so you're good there.  It just doesn't look pretty :))

As for resistors they don't go anywhere in those pics (unless PR4 next to the little chip in the first pic is one) - have you touched an LED to the pads to check they don't work?

ah, well 3 choices for the top row then lol;; cause theres another through hole for diodes
hmm, I haven't yet - are there some PCBs that don't require resistors? cause almost all I've worked with all have resistors
I'll try it out and let you know - worst thing that can happen is a LED burning out right? haha

Offline Saiph

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 15:39:28 »
I think I'm just going to solder switches for my kit and think about leds later.
edit: Mind taking a picture of your pcb when you figure everything out?
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2016, 15:51:40 by Saiph »

Offline Saiph

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 15:50:44 »
edit:oops, meant to edit my post

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 15:50:51 »
Yup, worst outcome is a burned LED (don't blink or you might miss it) best is a lit one.  The most likely outcome is you need resistors somewhere they aren't, in which case it just won't light up...

Resistor pads would not have + marked as resistors aren't directional if that helps?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kohi

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 15:58:23 »
I think I'm just going to solder switches for my kit and think about leds later.

haha alright, if you ever get LEDs to work let me know
I probably won't begin building until start of june, cause I'm a bit busy till the end of may, but yeah, I'll send you a pic if I ever get around to it ;;
but by then you'll probably have everything figured out? haha

Yup, worst outcome is a burned LED (don't blink or you might miss it) best is a lit one.  The most likely outcome is you need resistors somewhere they aren't, in which case it just won't light up...

Resistor pads would not have + marked as resistors aren't directional if that helps?

ah okay, that helps~
worst case, I'll need to hand-wire resistors onto the board like what this person did here: http://thejayden.tistory.com/24
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2016, 16:02:11 by hojunski »

Offline Saiph

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 15:59:57 »

I probably won't begin building until start of june, cause I'm a bit busy till the end of may, but yeah, I'll send you a pic if I ever get around to it ;;
Yeah, probably :)). I don't usually care about LEDs that much but the LEDs looked really nice in yuktsi's video with the clear top plate.

Offline kohi

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 16:05:58 »
Yeah, probably :)). I don't usually care about LEDs that much but the LEDs looked really nice in yuktsi's video with the clear top plate.

I mean it'll look alright on your board cause at least you have a white middle layer, but I feel like since mine is all clear, it'll look weird without at least some LEDs
we'll slowly work it out I suppose haha - already had to shave away some of the acrylic on the top layer and plate in order to get the feet flush to the bottom layer since the screw wouldn't fit through the top, only the bottom :c
at least I got everything to sit pretty without breaking anything haha

Offline Saiph

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 16:11:30 »

I mean it'll look alright on your board cause at least you have a white middle layer, but I feel like since mine is all clear, it'll look weird without at least some LEDs
we'll slowly work it out I suppose haha - already had to shave away some of the acrylic on the top layer and plate in order to get the feet flush to the bottom layer since the screw wouldn't fit through the top, only the bottom :c
at least I got everything to sit pretty without breaking anything haha
Tbh I'm still confused about your feet situation, though i haven't tried installing mine. I thought it was just you use the long screw he gave with the feet for your corner case screws, and line up the nub on the foot with the hole that's only on the bottom layer.

Offline kohi

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 16:31:24 »
Tbh I'm still confused about your feet situation, though i haven't tried installing mine. I thought it was just you use the long screw he gave with the feet for your corner case screws, and line up the nub on the foot with the hole that's only on the bottom layer.

Yep that's pretty much how it goes in, but it doesn't sit flush because the female screw that you insert through the bottom prevents it from doing so, so you have to actually insert it through it from the top and screw the feet in from the bottom, but the holes on the acrylic plate are too small so the female screw doesn't fit.. so I had to file away some of the acrylic to make the hole bigger, so it fits now
aaaand the protective sticker thing won't peel of the top layer.. guess I'll have to spray it with WD40 or something, idek

Offline Saiph

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 16:43:52 »

Yep that's pretty much how it goes in, but it doesn't sit flush because the female screw that you insert through the bottom prevents it from doing so, so you have to actually insert it through it from the top and screw the feet in from the bottom, but the holes on the acrylic plate are too small so the female screw doesn't fit.. so I had to file away some of the acrylic to make the hole bigger, so it fits now
aaaand the protective sticker thing won't peel of the top layer.. guess I'll have to spray it with WD40 or something, idek

Show Image

Oh okay I see what you mean. Gonna have to figure out how I'll deal with that.

I guess I got luckier on the protective sticker.

Offline kohi

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 17:02:35 »
I guess I got luckier on the protective sticker.

tried an LED on one of the pads with the preassembled smd switch diode...

TADA, no resistor required...
edit: switch also works with the one T4 smd diode
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2016, 17:08:25 by hojunski »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 06:03:27 »
Great!  Looking forward to seeing the whole thing glowing :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline odd

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 23:28:29 »
I have the same kit, so we must be all three that bought the remaining kits. BTW for the feet issue I just took the female screw and pushed in all the way in the feet so it is flush with the foot and add stability when screwed into the case. Does that make sense? I can add pics if I had a free uploader.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 23:45:23 »
I have the same kit, so we must be all three that bought the remaining kits. BTW for the feet issue I just took the female screw and pushed in all the way in the feet so it is flush with the foot and add stability when screwed into the case. Does that make sense? I can add pics if I had a free uploader.
Hm, a pic would be great :). You could use imgur to upload it. I'm still waiting for my switches to arrive before I start building.

Offline kohi

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 00:25:29 »

yep, makes sense haha. I tried to do that, but it wouldn't even fit in the hole so I took a slightly easier route (in my case) and put the female screw through the top.
there was one more kit... who is the missing person :))

Hm, a pic would be great :). You could use imgur to upload it. I'm still waiting for my switches to arrive before I start building.

lol same here, bought some vintage ergo-clears off of a friend.. but then again, I still have to buy keycaps - and the ones are still in IC phase :c so even if I finish building, it'll be months before I start using it unless I buy some taihaos or something while I wait
it'd be interesting to see everyone's finished builds :thumb:

Offline Saiph

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 00:31:27 »

lol same here, bought some vintage ergo-clears off of a friend.. but then again, I still have to buy keycaps - and the ones are still in IC phase :c so even if I finish building, it'll be months before I start using it unless I buy some taihaos or something while I wait
it'd be interesting to see everyone's finished builds :thumb:
Yeah, I decided to buy an extra set off of Shadovved's EnjoyPBT group buy but the set I want won't arrive until the end of the month. I also somehow got into round 0 for the 62/60... still need to find some keyset for that.

Offline kohi

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 00:40:00 »
Yeah, I decided to buy an extra set off of Shadovved's EnjoyPBT group buy but the set I want won't arrive until the end of the month. I also somehow got into round 0 for the 62/60... still need to find some keyset for that.

I had some enjoypbt keycaps but sold them like 2 weeks ago so I got nothing :-|
and congrats haha, I was deciding to join that GB later, but found this and ... yeah, always wanted to try a TKL keyboard.. I just skipped from full size to 60% and have been using 60s exclusively for quite some time, so hopefully I like the form factor

Offline Saiph

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 00:42:45 »

I had some enjoypbt keycaps but sold them like 2 weeks ago so I got nothing :-|
and congrats haha, I was deciding to join that GB later, but found this and ... yeah, always wanted to try a TKL keyboard.. I just skipped from full size to 60% and have been using 60s exclusively for quite some time, so hopefully I like the form factor
I'm still getting used to 60%, I always find myself reaching for arrow keys that aren't there haha.

Offline kohi

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 20:31:58 »
anyone know what this component is (pc1) had to reseat it cause it was lifting up a lot ... but hopefully i didnt damage it cause the component was so damn small.. lmao

before...

after...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 03:54:56 »
Educated guess from the label it's a Capacitor.  It's in series with the LED in the top corner of the pic so if that still lighs up you're good :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kohi

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 11:51:42 »
Educated guess from the label it's a Capacitor.  It's in series with the LED in the top corner of the pic so if that still lighs up you're good :thumb:

ah okay, well the top right LED doesn't work.. but it didn't even before I repositioned the capacitor so either there's a key to toggle on esc LED since the whole switch is flipped relative to the others to begin with, or I have to reposition it again :c

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 14:03:38 »
Is the LED supposed to be the other way round if the switch is upside down?  Worth checking as SMD desoldering is not fun, though LEDs aren't much better...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kohi

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 16:04:23 »
Is the LED supposed to be the other way round if the switch is upside down?  Worth checking as SMD desoldering is not fun, though LEDs aren't much better...

what do you mean by the other way round?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 16:51:21 »
If you put the LEDs in the switches then put the switches in the board (as I usually do) the + leg would be on the wrong side for that one because the switch is upside-down.  Just a thought :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kohi

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 17:59:30 »
If you put the LEDs in the switches then put the switches in the board (as I usually do) the + leg would be on the wrong side for that one because the switch is upside-down.  Just a thought :)

ah, I'm pretty sure I got the polarity right for the LED. I tried both ways to make sure it wasn't a polarity issue.. so either theres something in the firmware that triggers it on when I press a different key like fn key... or the capacitor is dead. I'm pretty sure it's not the latter, so I guess I'll just have to troubleshoot once I'm done building the board/checking everything. thanks for the suggestion though

Offline odd

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 23:16:19 »
Well here is a update on my board. I am really,really, really confused. When I got the board I was able to get the top part (F keys) of the keyboard to register and the LED's all lit up as well. I went ahead and soldered the rest of the diodes, tested them all and everythign is good.

Except, I cannot register any key presses anymore. I still get LED lights when I attach a LED to the holes and my machine sees the keyboard (Aikon otd.kr). Also I get zero voltage on any keys that are not the F row keys and no leds either, I see no resisters only the LED controllers at the top. Plus this board has a million holes are we suppose  to make our own matrix or something. Granted I am pretty new to the custom keyboard scene but I have never seen a keyboard like this before.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 04:29:19 »
Can we get a pic of the 'million holes'?  The bits pictured so far look pretty normal, allowing for the double (and triple!) diode options.

Have you tried flashing the firmware to confirm it's not just blank at the moment?  Can't think why it would be but an entire dead board that registers normally doesn't seem likely either...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kohi

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 18:35:40 »
Well here is a update on my board. I am really,really, really confused. When I got the board I was able to get the top part (F keys) of the keyboard to register and the LED's all lit up as well. I went ahead and soldered the rest of the diodes, tested them all and everythign is good.

Except, I cannot register any key presses anymore. I still get LED lights when I attach a LED to the holes and my machine sees the keyboard (Aikon otd.kr). Also I get zero voltage on any keys that are not the F row keys and no leds either, I see no resisters only the LED controllers at the top. Plus this board has a million holes are we suppose  to make our own matrix or something. Granted I am pretty new to the custom keyboard scene but I have never seen a keyboard like this before.

post a pic of your pcb

Offline Saiph

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 12:21:01 »
Got around to putting together my board. http://imgur.com/lXGNoeE

I need to buy a bottom row that fits, but liking the hangul set otherwise. I decided not to do LEDs.

Does anyone know how I can download the aikon software? The only place I saw required me to register for a korean forum and unfortunately I can't read it.

Offline kohi

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 17:19:27 »
Got around to putting together my board. http://imgur.com/lXGNoeE

I need to buy a bottom row that fits, but liking the hangul set otherwise. I decided not to do LEDs.

Does anyone know how I can download the aikon software? The only place I saw required me to register for a korean forum and unfortunately I can't read it.

send me a link to the korean forum if you can

Offline Saiph

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 17:25:33 »

This is what I found https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38406.0. The otd links seem to be where you get it?

Offline kohi

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 17:27:08 »

This is what I found https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38406.0. The otd links seem to be where you get it?

wait, so you're using an aikon controller with the pcb?

Offline Saiph

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 17:45:59 »

Oh, feng originally told me that the pcb uses aikon firmware. Is that wrong?

Offline kohi

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 17:50:17 »

Oh, feng originally told me that the pcb uses aikon firmware. Is that wrong?

lol im not sure, haven't heard anything from him

Offline Saiph

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 17:51:20 »

hm okay. I just want to map caps lock to control. I guess I can change my windows settings instead.

Offline kohi

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 18:09:27 »

hm okay. I just want to map caps lock to control. I guess I can change my windows settings instead.

http://www.otd.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=aikon_down&wr_id=45
here's a link to the aikon software, lemme know if it works

Offline Saiph

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 18:11:47 »

Actually it looks like I can't use it right now. It requires something called libusb0.dll which apparently only works on 32 bit OS.

Offline kohi

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 18:34:14 »

Actually it looks like I can't use it right now. It requires something called libusb0.dll which apparently only works on 32 bit OS.

http://www.otd.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=aikon_down&wr_id=78
libusb for 64bit, see if that works

Offline Saiph

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 10:09:17 »
I Realized I forgot to mention that I wasn't able to get it working. I'll try to figure it out again over the weekend.

Offline kohi

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 17:25:12 »
I Realized I forgot to mention that I wasn't able to get it working. I'll try to figure it out again over the weekend.

ah okay, let me know if you find anything

Offline odd

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 19:34:33 »
Can we get a pic of the 'million holes'?  The bits pictured so far look pretty normal, allowing for the double (and triple!) diode options.

Have you tried flashing the firmware to confirm it's not just blank at the moment?  Can't think why it would be but an entire dead board that registers normally doesn't seem likely either...

I have pics but I just need to upload them somewhere. I cannot seem to find any info on this board (other than this thread) so I'm not even sure how to flash it I am guessing with the Akion stuff. I have been super busy with other projects so I admit I have not looked super hard for info. I'm know the board has firmware since when it was registering it was hitting the F-Keys  and the Home island. I even tripled checked my solder work and the diodes and all seems well. I'll upload the pics when I get home from work today. 

Offline kohi

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 16:50:59 »
hey guys, so I started looking into the programming software for this keyboard today and I think I figured out how to program the base layer (I'll have to look into programming additional function layers or additional layers later) .. it's actually pretty simple with the program

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38406.0
this thread actually has really good info on it, and walks you through the installation process but you'll need these two links..

this is the aikon client where you can map your keys to whatever you want - note that when you download it (at least for me) it was in .exe-x format? so make sure to change/rename the extension to .exe

http://www.otd.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=aikon_down&wr_id=83
the second link is the libusb driver which works for 64bit systems, just make sure to go into properties and change compatibility to windows XP service pack 2 before installing.
after you install the proper drivers, the aikon client should work.. (doesn't work before you install)

the rest of the steps can be found in the first link I posted (geekhack thread).. overall, pretty simple and I haven't looked too deep into it cause I just opened it, but yeah, let me know if you guys find additional stuff or if you have any questions~

Offline kohi

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 15:50:55 »
finally had time this week to finish building my keyboard
actually had a power outage yesterday, so I had to wait until this morning to finish soldering;;
62g gateron blacks - pink stickers, SIP socketed, lubed springs with victorinox oil, and lubed sliders with krytox mix
stabilizers are clipped and lubed with krytox as well
programming with the aikon client was really simple, and apparently you can have up to 2 more layers if you toggle on scroll lock?
still trying to figure out how to change LED modes, if there are different modes.. I guess I'll look into that later as well

some pics:

(with JTK debut keycap set on)

Offline Saiph

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 15:56:52 »
Looks really great! Thanks for figuring out the software. I still haven't gotten around to setting it up haha.

Offline kohi

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 15:59:32 »
Looks really great! Thanks for figuring out the software. I still haven't gotten around to setting it up haha.

haha thanks! let me know if you run into any problems while you set it up~

Offline kohi

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 18:12:18 »
more info on additional layers:

you can set one of your keys to act as the 'fn' key - which will allow you to use an additional layer.
under the 'option' bar, check enabled for "ScrollLock LED -> FN LED" and "FN Lock" (might as well enable N-key rollover as well)

now, under the 'Key Test' bar, you will see an area labeled "Keyboard Matrix Mapping" in red, and to the right, you'll see Normal, Function, and Numlock checked. for your base keymap layer, go ahead an uncheck Function and Numlock options, and program/map the keys that you want with only the "Normal" option checked off.
For the additional layer, uncheck the Normal option, and check off the Function option - and repeat (map the keys that you want for function layer). the keys that you program for 'Function' will be the active keymap when the 'FN Lock' is triggered - pretty similar to how Poker 2 layers are used, in a sense.

In order to permanently have Fn Layer [ON], hit the FN key three times until you see the Scroll Lock indicator light on. To return back to regular layer, just hit the FN key once (the scroll lock LED will turn off)

might be confusing when you read this.. but once you actually start mapping the layers - it'll make sense! hopefully..