Author Topic: Preferred writing instrument  (Read 14639 times)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Preferred writing instrument
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 16:54:39 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;155598
The interesting question becomes: what sorts of watches are they wearing? Are they succumbing to their geekiness and going all digital, or are they weak for a fine mechanical?

A cheap, tacky, plastic one that tells the time, scratched, and now 14 years old. Maybe one day I'll move onto watches, but I can't imagine it right now.

A good keyboard won't get you a date (despite the incredible elegance of a FILCO); it's there so you don't spend all day feeling like the keyboard is full of sand and stones sunk in gunge. (Finally replaced my diabolical Dell keyboard in the office with a smooth Cherry brown FILCO, so now I get to sear out my eyeballs with those blue LEDs =)

All a watch needs to do to be good is to tell the time well enough that I don't miss the bus, and cut short my sleep every day so that I make it into work.

Besides, a fancy watch on the wrist of a flagrant nerd is like lipstick on a pig :)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 17:01:07 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;155598
The interesting question becomes: what sorts of watches are they wearing? Are they succumbing to their geekiness and going all digital, or are they weak for a fine mechanical?

I'm not sure I agree that digital watches are empirically more geeky than mechanical watches.  A fine automatic with a titanium case and accurate to within 1 sec/mo is an inspiring piece of engineering, and probably requires more design acumen than a gadget-crazy digital watch.

That said, it's really difficult to out-geek this.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 06 February 2010, 04:07:29 »
Pentel P205!!! I use that darn thing every minute of the day =)

For long sketches or writing I take off the metal clip and end cap and  make sure I have B or 2B lead in it and I am a happy camper.

I also love my Cintiq grip pen with felt nib (it makes me happy)

...and about ten million other writing implements =P (I seriously need to learn how to throw things away)

My favorite 3 though would be (although rarely used)-
-custom lathed cork clutch/leadholder pencil .25" lead!!! (was a gift from a coworker)
-I made a titanium mechanical pencil for that same coworker (and had I not given it as a gift I would probably take it with me everywhere)
-My 1/12,197 scale spaceship Bic pen. I made this pen as an inspirational project for the students at a college I was working at many years ago. I tossed it in my portfolio and got another SFX job off of it too! haahaa. It was great fun and a bit challenging (kinda hard to use but a great conversation piece). It had cabin lights, forward facing lights, a motor that spun what looked like a reactor core with a red light on it, and last but not least it had blue engine lights.

But I am never without my Pentel P205 or P207. I can never seem to find my P203 so I just use other companies 03 mechanical pencils.
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory