Author Topic: Hello from Hong Kong!  (Read 3000 times)

Offline bananaplum

Hello from Hong Kong!
« on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 00:54:24 »
Hi! I've been researching about mechanical keyboards for a while and finally about to take the plunge soon.

I'm on Macbook Air at home (no desktop), and using Windows PC at work. Somehow I managed through a Masters program and 3 years at work with the stock keyboards, but I am pretty dissatisfied with both the membrane keyboard at work and the laptop keyboards. Plus, having a separate keyboard for home use will really help with my posture (keep from slouching) so that's why I'm quite keen on a mechanical keyboard. Aside from the obvious tactile feedback and texture.

Planning to get a KUL ES-87 with Cherry Blues for my first model.

I saw so many gorgeous keyboard other people have customized, and wanted to learn more about the world of mechanical keyboards and be up-to-date on the latest keycap designs. I just missed out on the Tai Hao sunset and Jukebox designs on Massdrop and I'm really sad about it..... anyway, so there it is! Hello!

My first mechanical keyboard - KUL ES-87 :)

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
Re: Hello from Hong Kong!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 01:43:57 »
Welcome!  :thumb:
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 06:03:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The KUL is a good keyboard - I haven't heard anything bad about it :)

MX blues are nice if you don't mind the clicking.  As long as you're not going to be using the keyboard at night when others are sleeping, you should be fine.  Also check with your workmates if you are going to take it in to work ... I was able to get away with MX blues (and another guy is using MX blues), but when I took my SSK to work I received a couple of vigorous complaints :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 08:11:43 »
Welcome aboard this crazy train.  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline bananaplum

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 10:33:48 »
Thank you!! I'm terribly excited and frankly a bit overwhelmed by the options available, but I had to start somewhere and KUL seemed to fit the bill nicely. I just bought it today and it's quite a different experience to really type with it than testing it out at the store. Will take some time getting used to but I'm really excited to get my feet wet, haha

Now my hunt begins for my "Mr. Right" set of keycaps.........

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 06:06:18 »
Thank you!! I'm terribly excited and frankly a bit overwhelmed by the options available, but I had to start somewhere and KUL seemed to fit the bill nicely. I just bought it today and it's quite a different experience to really type with it than testing it out at the store. Will take some time getting used to but I'm really excited to get my feet wet, haha

That's always the case, even more so with a single switch in a switch tester.

Plus your desk material and thickness, room acoustics, typing posture and other factors all have an impact on how a keyboard sounds and feels.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bananaplum

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 11:30:23 »

Plus your desk material and thickness, room acoustics, typing posture and other factors all have an impact on how a keyboard sounds and feels.

Oh yes! It was pretty amazing to try typing on my bed with a pillow underneath the board!! Haha whilst it's not an ideal typing position (posture-wise) it made the board sound a lot nicer, much less tinny.

I'm quite keen on upgrading my work keyboard to a mechanical one as well, but worried the blues will be too loud. Got on board the hype train and checking out Topre boards now. I'm in for quite a ride, aren't I? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 11:32:52 »
Welcome! And thanks so much for your interest in the PBT Hangul :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 05:59:26 »

Oh yes! It was pretty amazing to try typing on my bed with a pillow underneath the board!! Haha whilst it's not an ideal typing position (posture-wise) it made the board sound a lot nicer, much less tinny.

I'm quite keen on upgrading my work keyboard to a mechanical one as well, but worried the blues will be too loud. Got on board the hype train and checking out Topre boards now. I'm in for quite a ride, aren't I? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You certainly are ;)

I used MX blues at work, no-on really said much.  Another guy still does.

Then I tried using buckling springs (an SSK) at work, and received a couple of fairly vigorous complaints.

Now I use MX clears (in a CODE TKL).