Author Topic: Northgate Omnikey 102  (Read 10683 times)

Offline cheekbreek

Northgate Omnikey 102
« on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 17:46:42 »
Hello all,

I recently discovered the Northgate Omnikey 102 keyboard. I like their design and would like to purchase one. Also I hope there isn't an old thread on these, please let me know if there is.
But I don't know much about them and wanted to run some information by the group here.
I've found that there are a few different models. As far as I can tell there's the regular, Plus and Ultra models. The only info I can find differentiating these are here: http://stanis.net/uvpub/omnikey102.html.
I've also read that they can come with either DIN or PS/2 connectors. Is there an easy and safe way of transferring DIN to USB?

That's all I can think of for now :)

I hope we can all learn a bit about these neat boards.

Thanks guys

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Northgate Omnikey 102
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 17:56:45 »
Hiya mate :) .

They pop up on eBay every now and then. Alternatively, someone else here might have one.

The main models are the 101, 102, Ultra, Ultra-T, and Plus. Later ones came with inferior (clone) switches.

PS/2 and DIN aren't that different. DIN OmniKeys speak XT or AT, and AT is basically PS/2. You can adapt AT to PS/2 with a £1 adapter, and convert PS/2 to USB with an active converter. Well-documented and very possible :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 18:08:31 »
The mini-DIN6 connector on the keyboard will work with a straight-through male-male PS/2 cable or an adapter on the original cable.
You can also install a PS/2 cable from a junk rubber dome keyboard easily enough (PM me for a link to my guide).

I like the function keys on the left, but/and Northgates may or may not have them along the top as well.

If I remember correctly, the "Ultra" models fill in the gaps over the arrow keys with diagonal arrows and/or other stuff.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 18:46:09 »
The mini-DIN6 connector on the keyboard will work with a straight-through male-male PS/2 cable or an adapter on the original cable.
You can also install a PS/2 cable from a junk rubber dome keyboard easily enough (PM me for a link to my guide).

I like the function keys on the left, but/and Northgates may or may not have them along the top as well.

If I remember correctly, the "Ultra" models fill in the gaps over the arrow keys with diagonal arrows and/or other stuff.
No, unlike other battlecruisers the Ultra doesn't have a star nav. Instead the nav is basically a clone of the numpad, the extra keys are home, end, pgup, pgdown etc., so basically an enhanced cross nav.

Offline cheekbreek

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 21:21:35 »
Okay so I've got my eye on an Ultra model due to it's full line of f keys. Speaking of which, what do the other models have in place of physical f row keys? Rubber dome buttons?
I've been informed it has a PS/2 port on it and it does not come with it's original cable. I was curious if I could use a PS/2 to USB adapter, then run a USB cable from the board to my computer. Or is there a better/easier way of doing things?

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 23:09:51 »
Hi cheekbreek, I'd just like to point you toward this web site in case you haven't see it:

http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/

When I'm ready to get a Northgate Omnikey for my own I will probably go see what he has in stock first.

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 23:54:24 »
Northgate Omnikeys are very solid, heavy boards, usually with white Alps switches.

Hi cheekbreek, I'd just like to point you toward this web site in case you haven't see it:

http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/

That's Bob Tibbett's website, and he's a great source of information on Northgate boards, parts, repairs, etc.  He's got pictures of the different models on the website that can help disentangle the features of the different boards

Okay so I've got my eye on an Ultra model due to it's full line of f keys. Speaking of which, what do the other models have in place of physical f row keys? Rubber dome buttons?
I've been informed it has a PS/2 port on it and it does not come with it's original cable. I was curious if I could use a PS/2 to USB adapter, then run a USB cable from the board to my computer. Or is there a better/easier way of doing things?

All the Northgate boards have physical function keys -- some on the left side of the board (where some of us believe God intended them), some at the top as on most modern keyboards, and some have both. If your model is the Ultra or Ultra T, it has both, but the confusingly-labeled Ultra Plus only has function keys on the left.

Yes, you can run to USB using a PS/2 -> USB adapter, but you need a good adapter; cheap ones don't always work.  And, sometimes when I restart the computer, I have to pull and reseat the usb connection to get the board talking to the PC.   Bob Tibbetts sells adapters (and cables, if you need them), and I've had good luck with the cable combination below from cablestogo.com: 

Item #:       09471
Product:      10ft PS2 M/M Keyboard/Mouse Cable
Stock Status:      In Stock - Ready to ship today!
Quantity:     1
Item Price:   $12.99
Total Price:  $12.99  (now $13.99)
Item #:       27225
Product:      1ft USB to PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse Adapter Cable
Stock Status:      In Stock - Ready to ship today!
Quantity:     1
Item Price:   $19.99
Total Price:  $19.99 (now $17.99)
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 02:33:57 »
There's a mint condition Ultra T on eBay right now if you want it :).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 07:58:11 »

I've been informed it has a PS/2 port on it and it does not come with it's original cable.

I was curious if I could use a PS/2 to USB adapter, then run a USB cable from the board to my computer. Or is there a better/easier way of doing things?

If you want to fiddle just a bit, you can use a PS/2 cable from a junk keyboard like I did in post #157 of this thread:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49604.msg1262678#msg1262678
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline cheekbreek

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 19:33:24 »
The Ultra I have in mind is local and is gonna cost around 50 bucks, which from what I can gather is a relatively good deal. The seller says it was also refurbished at some point in the last decade or so. Perhaps before Northgate went out of business.

And thanks opensecret and fohat. I think I'll try a removable cable first, and if that isn't to my liking I'll use your mod, fohat.

Also, opensecret (or anyone for that matter), I was curious what the 102 model has in place of the top row function keys.

Are those just place holders on the top? Was there only one mould used for all models? I think it's sorta neat looking to be frank. But I can also understand the desire for side mounted f keys.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 03:01:34 »
Just a mylar sheet for writing down F key shortcuts :) . Pretty much the same as on the FK-2001.

Offline cheekbreek

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 16:16:34 »
Hey folks,

Bumping my old thread because I finally got the board and required cables! I love the weight of the board and the feel of the White ALPS switches.

Now I just need to figure out how to make the board work  :blank:
I have the board plugged into a M/M PS/2 cable, which runs into a PS/2 to USB adapter which goes into my motherboard.

The caps lock/num lock/scroll lock LED's light up when pressed, but the keyboard is not interfacing directly with the computer. Perhaps I need to change my DIP switches?

Anywho, thank you for the advice last month and any further help  :)

Best
cheeki

Offline pieman103021

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 18:51:33 »
Hey folks,

Bumping my old thread because I finally got the board and required cables! I love the weight of the board and the feel of the White ALPS switches.

Awesome! I just found one at my work today while cleaning up a storage room and my boss told me to throw it away. I rescued it from his tyranny, and ohmygod it is great.

The caps lock/num lock/scroll lock LED's light up when pressed, but the keyboard is not interfacing directly with the computer. Perhaps I need to change my DIP switches?

Here is a link to the DIP switch information: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2qkdpx/omnikey_102_please_help/cn78rra
Try flipping switch 1, keeping switches 2 and 3 off(down), and see if that has any effect. Otherwise you might want to open it up and poke around to see if there are any bad solder joints or anything like that around the top of the board.

Also, here is the manual for it, there is more information there.
https://deskthority.net/w/images/3/38/Northgate_OmniKey_Users_Guide_Apr92.pdf

S60x w/ Mod-Ms, Ducky Blanks | xd60 | kbp v60 mini
Fedora | bspwm | emacs

Offline cheekbreek

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 20:25:07 »
Well,

Fuddling around with the DIP switches has gotten me nowhere so imma break this bad boy open. Thanks for the links, pieman.

Much appreciated :3

Offline pieman103021

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 16:20:56 »
Well,

Fuddling around with the DIP switches has gotten me nowhere so imma break this bad boy open. Thanks for the links, pieman.

Much appreciated :3
Aw, that is a shame.
Mine worked fine once I got an adapter, but it is just too big to reasonable use. Do you plan to use it as a daily driver or just occasionally?
S60x w/ Mod-Ms, Ducky Blanks | xd60 | kbp v60 mini
Fedora | bspwm | emacs

Offline cheekbreek

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 00:04:42 »
Oh good heavens, I'm sorry for bumping so late, I got awfully busy with school.

I'd like to be able to use it as a daily. I just need to figure out how to get it working first haha.