Author Topic: Open Source 60% Alps Plates  (Read 56875 times)

Offline toniwonkanobi

Re: Open Source 60% Alps Plates
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 07:48:39 »
Someone in the Alps Appreciation Thread was nice enough to thicken up those bottom spacebar stabilizer clip cutouts in AT101.dxf file in this thread's first post (the same file which Hasu was also kind enough to say he'd edit eventually). I assume Hasu is waiting on my report regarding the RShift stabilizers (which I can do once I get those dang keycaps in hand).

Everything looks good to me, though:

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #201 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 22:40:27 »
Okay hasu et al:

I can confirm that the AT101 plate file handles the SGI "Granite" RShift without issue:

The only other issue (besides the aforementioned thinness of the plate near spacebar stabilizer clip cutouts) is that the switches are quite loose in the plate. Anyone else encounter this issue?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #202 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 08:50:51 »
Thanks for the confrimation on Right shift stab.
So Right Shift stab cutouts on "Dell AT101" plate work with stab wire from Dell and SGI 101. Good to know.

Please post your result when you get new plate from next iteration!

TMK products:HHKB Alt  ⌨ConvertersAlps64FC660C AltFC980C Alt

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #203 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 08:53:57 »
Thanks for the confrimation on Right shift stab.
So Right Shift stab cutouts on "Dell AT101" plate work with stab wire from Dell and SGI 101. Good to know.

Please post your result when you get new plate from next iteration!

Thanks for the well-wishes man :)

What do you think about switch looseness? Any ideas on how to rectify? The most play seems to be in a vertical dimension (left/ride side-to-side play is almost non-existent). Could the vertical dimension be reduced by ~0.1mm without messing up the entire layout? (Or should I just be happy enough and rely on the switches being soldered to the PCB underneath for stability?)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #204 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 10:07:08 »
I guess manufacturing of you plate just went wrong or with bad tolerance for some reason.
I think people tend to go with stainless steel for plate, while your plate matrial is aluminum. This may cause torelance, perhaps?

What did LaserBoost say for explanation when you get refund from them?
TMK products:HHKB Alt  ⌨ConvertersAlps64FC660C AltFC980C Alt

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #205 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 10:10:03 »
I guess manufacturing of you plate just went wrong or with bad tolerance for some reason.
I think people tend to go with stainless steel for plate, while your plate matrial is aluminum. This may cause torelance, perhaps?

What did LaserBoost say for explanation when you get refund from them?

Could be. They said it was a one-off mistake, more or less. They also said that their tolerances are ~0.11mm, which, in regards to their inability to produce that thin strip of aluminum along the bottom of the plate on the spacebar stabilizer clip cutouts, could speak to your suggestion that the manufacturing was just bad in this case. I was wearing of going with stainless steel, as I am planning a brown Alps tray-mount build, and I thought the stainless plate would wreak havoc on my fingers for extended typing sessions. Thoughts?