Author Topic: (GB) Smart 68 & Smart Pad (order closed, preparing production)  (Read 102535 times)

Offline jebbra

Re: (GB) Smart 68 & Smart Pad (taking orders)
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 01:01:12 »
The gap between outer keys and case on the pad looks too wide, is that only on sample? And honestly would love it if the thickness of the v2 pad case ad thick as the 68. It is quite arkward to see with thinner case.

Offline Shados

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 01:09:11 »
The gap between outer keys and case on the pad looks too wide, is that only on sample? And honestly would love it if the thickness of the v2 pad case ad thick as the 68. It is quite arkward to see with thinner case.

Yeah, I feel the same way. The fact that the v2 68 doesn't match the v2 pad in that regard does make it look awkward.

Offline tauhudame

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 04:28:05 »
i like the feet/leg style of v1. Could i order this style for v2

Version 1 (feet/leg): Like this style

Version 2 (feet/leg):

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 12:08:18 »
All of my keysets have the 3x1.25 mods on the left, so I might have to choose V2 even though I like the V1 case better.

Even if you choose V2, you still need 2x 1.5u mods for the right side anyway. It doesn't matter which layout you choose apart from the V2B, you will need 3x1.25u and 2x1.5u regardless.
That's a good point... Man, it's going to be really hard getting 1.5u keys for carbon, pulse and jukebox.

As far as I know, all those sets comes with child kits that contains 1.5u mods (definitely for Carbon and Pulse, I personally own those sets and can confirm they had child kits for WKL mods)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 12:10:12 »
Just why do they have micro USB instead of mini USB like everything else?

Mini USB is a deprecated standard, micro is better anyway, more widespread connector, and the port is more durable. In fact, the entire point of the micro USB standard was to address the shortcoming of the mini-B connector.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline gutsack

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 18:55:36 »
Ordered. Looks awesome!

Offline Unix.dmr

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 00:59:09 »
the author of these mx is the guy of enjoypbt, u may get some information from him but it seems out of production i remember.

Offtopic but i'd like to know these switches. Anyone know these?
Show Image

Edit these are Gateron KS-1. The first version of gateron.....
   Collection:
more on the way......
       Filco Celadon        Filco Metal-pink        Orion v2                    VE.A               HHKB Pro2     Smart68         Preonic

Offline T0mb3ry

• Fritz frisst rohe Fische
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 14:51:03 »
Hmmm why so quiet?

I got an invoice already. Does some body else?

Paid.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2016, 14:52:55 by T0mb3ry »

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 15:42:01 »
Still waiting for some pictures of the case colors. I don't want to buy multiple cases just to be sure I get the one I like the most (hmm .. probably would do it if I had the money laying around, right now).

Offline skimzor

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 15:49:13 »
I'm super interested in this.  Is the case color shown in the pictures confirmed black?  Some pictures of the other case colors would be great before I place my order.  Thanks!

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 15:59:58 »
Did some digging. Here is what I found: http://www.enjoyclick.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=10316&extra=page%3D3. Given those pictures, it seems like we're looking at the grey case in this thread.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 16:03:47 »
Also found this video showing V1 with a black case and carbon fiber plate: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzU1OTA1Mjc2.html

[Edit: grammar]
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2016, 16:09:05 by japanitrat »

Offline ReverbSlush

• 7/37 RNG score
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 20:55:42 »
Paid! This will be my first keyboard and GB here.  I'm really looking forward to swapping out different switches to find out what I prefer.

Offline cyberpigg

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 21:05:59 »
Paid! Thanks for the extra links with more pictures. Helped determine the color I wanted was gray.

Sad to heard about the SMART branding, I kinda liked it. If it ever becomes an option, count me in!

Offline stillzman

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 23:14:39 »
RGB LEDs won't work with this board right?

Offline E3E

• Alps Evangelist
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 01:15:59 »
I'm in for a Smart Pad v2 if only to match the Hammer case I have in red (which is hotswappable Alps, so it kinda fits the hot swap theme!).

Even though it's going to be a Cherry MX pad. Aesthetically, it'll fit pretty well. :thumb:

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 04:10:42 »
I'm counting coins and thinking about how expensive it will be to get the 1.5u mods. But still leaning towards buying. Though it might not be until just before deadline due to cashflow.

Offline edsucks

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 11:19:55 »
Will the SMART logo be removed from the underside of the case too, or just from the back side?

Edit: Nevermind, I was looking at the V1 case.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2016, 11:22:42 by Eddy »

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 12:11:23 »
Will the SMART logo be removed from the underside of the case too, or just from the back side?

Oh. Totally missed that info. So the SMART branding will be removed? On all places?

Offline cyberpigg

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 12:24:00 »
Sorry, I did not mean to imply V1 branding was removed.

I only meant V2 since it was edited on the top post, and the one I ordered. Tunnel vision on that comment.

Offline edsucks

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 13:06:19 »

Oh. Totally missed that info. So the SMART branding will be removed? On all places?

The SMART logo on the backside of the V2 case will be removed. Bummer, I kinda liked the logo.

Offline gutsack

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 13:43:20 »
I got an invoice already. Does some body else?

Same here, invoiced and paid.

Offline SevenU

• Grimace is Black
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 14:16:04 »

The SMART logo on the backside of the V2 case will be removed. Bummer, I kinda liked the logo.
Same. It wasn't my favorite logo ever, but it was sort of neat. Don't know if it is better with or without the branding.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Something, Something, blah, blah, blahbitty, blah

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 19:49:19 »
Choosing a color is actually harder than I thought.

The gunmetal grey looks really nice on its own but it won't mix well with a lot of keysets, imho. Something grey like Dolch, Granite, or various GMK stuff will work for sure, of course, but that might be just about it? (Oh, but Danger Zone is going to look super nice, I guess)

Black will work with more sets but I find it rather boring (even though I'd love to get the carbon fiber plate).

Silver? Same as black. Also already got one I really like.

Red? That's a tough call to make.

*sigh*

[Edit] I'd order all of the former three if I could financially :'(
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2016, 19:53:20 by japanitrat »

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 23:34:21 »
Will these be prebuilt, or will building be available?
I am the destroyer of electronics, so it that's not an option I'll have to try to get one on the aftermarket.

They will be pre-built. No soldering and screwing needed at all.

Any pictures of the different case colors?

I'll upload more pictures soon for color reference.

I second that pre-built question and you say to select case color, what are the color options?

Black, Grey, Silver, and Red.

i like LED RGB for underboard. Could i do with LED RGB wire for addition and sold to the PCB?

The shipping fee above is international fee?
Yes you can add RGB LEDs to the board if you know how to solder the wires.

The shipping fee is basically for all countries except for China. The items will be shipped from China.

Is it not possible to have a version 2 layout with the version 1 case that has the thinner bezel?

Unfortunately V2 layout doesn't work on V1 case, same goes to other way around.

Same here... been waiting for this for a long time and now when it is here, I am not able to decide. Like the design better on V2, but hate the "smart" branding...

For V2, we've decided to remove the SMART logo on the side of the keyboard because it doesn't look so good. We haven't decided on the V1 logo yet, it's on the bottom of the case. If most people don't like it, we might remove it too.

After years of watching this keyboard, I want to congratulate you for finding success :)

Suggestions:
1) Explain the differences between different layout designs better ("why choose one over another?"
2) Explain the differences between plates ("why choose carbon over aluminum?")
3) Explain the differences between cases ("why choose a taller one?", "why choose one with no edges?")
4) Consider selling complete keyboards, or sell cases to stores that will sell complete keyboards. Some folks have more money than sense/style/time, and we just want to buy the cool keyboard in the picture! :)
5) Consider suggesting key cap sets and switches. Some folks are here only for your keyboard, and haven't read the rest of the forum.

Again, all my best to you. This looks like a beautiful product :) :thumb:

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. They helped a lot. I'll explain those in details in the original post. :)

« Last Edit: Thu, 21 July 2016, 04:39:46 by feng »

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 03:22:59 »
Hi feng, You just me your invoice. Can you wait till Aug 10th for payment?
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 04:37:32 »

Woohoo! So excited for this one. Putting in an order for v1 but would realllly prefer to see the colors first. Also, what is the color of the V1 in the pictures? Grey?
Thanks for groupbuy!

Yeah the V1 in the pictures is grey.

it looks like the SIP sockets sit slightly above the PCB, will it affect the mounting of the switch?

No it will not affect the mounting of the switch.

Is there an option to get a V2 without the "SMART" branding?

The SMART logo has been removed from the V2.

I'm glad that the GB is finally here!! It's such a beauty feng!

But man, why no ISO support :'( this makes me sad and I think I have to skip this GB.
I thought the v1 version was able to support an ISO layout(?).

Unfortunately both V1 and V2 don't support ISO layout. :(

I'm curious. Can a v1 pcb/plate be used in a v2 case and vice versa?

No it can't. Each version can only use its matching PCB, plate and case.

Just why do they have micro USB instead of mini USB like everything else?

That was my question too when I saw the Micro USB port. The producer believed that Micro USB is more popular than Mini USB because many people have an Android phone and it's easy to find a Micro USB cable. I was hoping to change it back to Mini USB in the future.

Offline tauhudame

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 11:55:13 »

Version 1 (feet/leg): Like this style
Show Image

Show Image

Version 2 (feet/leg):
Show Image

Hi Feng, how about it? could i order version 2 with the feet v1 as the pics.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 11:58:39 »
You guys realize you can get Micro->Mini converters that take no space at all, right?

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 13:00:32 »
Anyone knows if a carbon plate can withstand years of use and swapping? Can't decide between carbon and aluminum plate. Thanks!

Carbon fiber is actually more duable than aluminum. It surely can withstand years of use and swapping.

Unfortunately the final product of Pad V2 will have the same issue as the gap between outer keys and the case being too wide. This issue might be fixed in the future but the producer doesn't have time for it right now. We're planning to remove Pad V2 from this group buy for now, and might provide it in the future once this issue is fixed.

Sorry but the producer couldn't find this kind of feet anymore. Both V1 and V2 will use the same rubber feet.

Yeah sure. The last date I can accept payments before submit our order to the producer is on Aug 10th.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 July 2016, 13:16:46 by feng »

Offline tauhudame

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 23:14:16 »
Anyone knows if a carbon plate can withstand years of use and swapping? Can't decide between carbon and aluminum plate. Thanks!

Carbon fiber is actually more duable than aluminum. It surely can withstand years of use and swapping.

Unfortunately the final product of Pad V2 will have the same issue as the gap between outer keys and the case being too wide. This issue might be fixed in the future but the producer doesn't have time for it right now. We're planning to remove Pad V2 from this group buy for now, and might provide it in the future once this issue is fixed.

Sorry but the producer couldn't find this kind of feet anymore. Both V1 and V2 will use the same rubber feet.

Yeah sure. The last date I can accept payments before submit our order to the producer is on Aug 10th.

Sad to hear that.

BTW, Feng, i submitted into form in Order link also. Waiting for invoice.

Offline edsucks

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 03:30:51 »

Any pictures of the different case colors?

I'll upload more pictures soon for color reference.

Thanks feng. I'll wait with ordering til then. :)

Online Data

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 08:22:29 »

I was going to order one until I read this.  The gap doesn't really bother me, it's honestly not that bad.  But if you're pulling it from the GB then I guess that saves me money.   :-[

Offline E3E

• Alps Evangelist
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 08:52:39 »
Unfortunately the final product of Pad V2 will have the same issue as the gap between outer keys and the case being too wide. This issue might be fixed in the future but the producer doesn't have time for it rig

Aww, that's a shame; it would have fit very well with the Hammer case I have for one of my boards. In any case, I'll be waiting for it to show up again in the future!  :thumb: Like Data said, at least it saves me some money for now. :P

Offline wongie

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 09:05:42 »

Hey Feng, if there ends up being a large number to fulfil does order of shipment depend on the order the request was submitted or does it depend on order of when payment was received? Also, I take it as the submission is on Aug 10th that means those who have already submitted an order can still change their minds over case colour up until then? Thanks
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 July 2016, 09:31:27 by wongie »

Offline NiceAndCreamy

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 15:02:04 »
Sent my order in :D

Offline gaiden

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 15:32:52 »
wow great looking keyboard! a few questions:

- what do you use to update its firmware?
- is v1 and v2 case the same price? i only see 1 price for 2 version so i'm assuming it is.
- what about the cf plates? does it get more expensive by choosing cf plate?
- can you provide more spec on the keyboard such as the weight for both v1 and v2?
- could you post more photos and possibly with different case colors? i am one of those who is torn between v1 and v2 case i love the lips around v2 case but i love the treatment of the usb plug on the v1! so something like knowing the difference in weight may help determine the winner of the 2.

Offline edsucks

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 16:35:10 »
- is v1 and v2 case the same price? i only see 1 price for 2 version so i'm assuming it is.
- what about the cf plates? does it get more expensive by choosing cf plate?

Yep, same price.
Nope, same price

- could you post more photos and possibly with different case colors? i am one of those who is torn between v1 and v2 case i love the lips around v2 case but i love the treatment of the usb plug on the v1! so something like knowing the difference in weight may help determine the winner of the 2.

Feng said a few posts back the he would be updating the thread with more pictures of the different case colors.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 16:36:14 »
Awesome any info on the weight of the 2 cases?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 22:03:04 »
What's the keyboard angles on v1 and v2? There looks to be an obvious difference.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 22:43:08 »
Also can't see it very well, but does the gap between outer keys and case of smart68 v2 looks too wide than normal?
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline T0mb3ry

• Fritz frisst rohe Fische
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 02:44:21 »
Also can't see it very well, but does the gap between outer keys and case of smart68 v2 looks too wide than normal?

If you look at op pictures, you'll see the gaps are fine.

Offline edsucks

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 13:38:29 »
Ordered. Thanks for the GB feng!

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 22:01:39 »
Can anyone who ordered add a PCB+Plate to their order? I can pay you of course.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline timerwin63

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 08:34:06 »
Also still looking for a wonderful person to add a plate to their order for me.
Roses are red, violets are blue. They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Offline Masalisko

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 12:15:27 »
How do customs work with this group buy, do I have to pay 24% VAT when ordering to Finland?

Offline Shados

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 21:03:14 »
Submitted my order. This'll eat a fair bit out of my tax return :>.

Offline Luminair

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 13:12:35 »
The producer believed that Micro USB is more popular than Mini USB because many people have an Android phone and it's easy to find a Micro USB cable. I was hoping to change it back to Mini USB in the future.

The phone-style micro-USB is both more popular and stronger :) If you switch to anything, it should be USB-C, because we will all be using USB-C for 10+ years. But I would suggest not changing, because IMO it is not worth the effort.

Offline E3E

• Alps Evangelist
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 14:32:56 »
Feng, I just received an invoice for the Smart Pad v2 order I've placed.

Is the Smart Pad v2 still available then? I thought it was shelved for now because of some aforementioned issues.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 15:21:38 »
50 dollars for shipping to Germany? O.O