Author Topic: DIY keycaps attempt... fail!  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Aran.E99

DIY keycaps attempt... fail!
« on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 17:02:15 »
I hope this is the correct place to post this as this is to do with keycaps, but more DIY is involved so i'l post here  :) .

in this post, I'm going to basically give an overview of how I made my own keycaps, and also what went wrong (pretty much everything). also, i do not recommend trying this method as i do not use proper casting material etc. In the future, i will invest in some better materials and attempt to properly make keycaps with my own designs and shapes. i really think it will be fun to try to make some cool designs like hollow keycaps. I think the main reason i was discouraged to do this is because my blank MX set has not arrived which i have spares to use as donors but i decided to do this as a test to see what would happen to an alps esc key.

to begin with - the silicone mold was the first thing i needed to make. traditionally, people use 2 part casting silicone. this is the way to go compared to how i did it. to make my own 'pour-able' silicone, i took: 2 parts silicone caulking, 2 parts white spirits (turps, mineral spirits etc.) and 1 part cornflour (same as cornstarch in this application). the silicone is the base ingredient, the cornflour acts as a drying agent to absorb any moisture and the spirits are used to make it runny. i mixed up my concoction that produced an awful smell and began pouring it into my mold. the mold i made was simply lego bricks on a lego base, because, who doesn't love lego :D . i put the keycap, top facing up into the lego 'building'. i poured the silicone and let it set overnight. it actually turned out pretty good considering it was my first try.
142483-0
after i pulled the mold, i flipped it over, build the lego in the corresponding share and began to pour the 2nd part of the mold. i knew no matter how thin i made it, the silicone would not flow into the stem mounting hole. to do this, i used a little bag and cut a slit at the corner and piped it in. this worked great but did not fully fill the inside. once the 2nd part set, i ripped it apart and pulled the keycap. first impressions were that it had worked, and i was right.
142485-1
finally was the resin casting. i cut a pouring hole into the side of the mold. i found the easiest way to fill it was to pour the resin into the small holes e.g. the mounting hole and near the sides to get an even coat. after, i poured the resin and let it set. after a day, i pulled the resin and got the finished product:
142487-2
142489-3

my mistakes:
-do not use excess spirits, it significantly shrinks the mold i.e. 2nd picture. this caused 2 of the walls to be very thick, and 2 to be very thin.
-use a better mold shape (mine did not seat correctly when i flipped it over, this is also because of rapid shrinking)
-most importantly - do not use epoxy resin. I used epoxy resin and guess what - 5 days later, it is still soft. in places it is sturdy but 2 of the sides can be bent. this was probably a mold defect as 2 sides are thinner. i will invest in some proper casting resin - if i can find some anywhere...

apart from that, i also tried casting the bottom of a bullet casing. it turned out great and the resin has set. is very detailed but now i look at the mold and notice it has shrunk a lot.

sorry if i rambled on a bit, i like to be thorough about my project write-ups :D

-Aran

SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
Re: DIY keycaps attempt... fail!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 17:06:31 »
Pretty amazing you got something resembling a keycap out of a mold made of caulking and corn starch! Read up on how to make two part molds, and buy some decent materials! Even basic hobby stores have better stuff to work with than what you used! Still, really impressed at your results nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 17:10:48 »
thanks!

I went down to the local hobby material shop that did sell them (saw them a month ago which gave me this idea) and to my displeasure, they have shut down. gone. i guess i will need to order the mold making materials off the internet. i'l look into it and see what is best.

-Aran

Offline Kenda

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 20:53:15 »
I'm having trouble at loading those images. Just wondering why the epoxy resin you used still soft after 5 days. Did you use any measuring tools to get the right AB ratio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 03:24:34 »
i think it's the brand of resin: im using 2 part guerilla epoxy. I used to use the cheap stuff you get in toothpaste style tubes to make knife handles and it worked great. I will remake the mold and use a different brand.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 04:10:03 »
The most DIY keycap ever made?  There are many times in life where it seems using what you've got and more effort will work as a substitute for buying the proper stuff but sometimes it doesn't work out - now we know keycap making is one of them :))

Thanks for documenting the process, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 06:04:41 »
Thanks, hopefully my 2nd attempt will turn out better :p

Offline SBJ