Author Topic: ISO keycap recomendations  (Read 4304 times)

Offline discotty

ISO keycap recomendations
« on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 13:32:19 »
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some Good PBT/ABS cherry ISO keycaps But struggle to find any there mostly ANSI :( anyone got any recommendations ? :)

I'm willing to spend up to £60 or $79 BTW :)

Offline Geroximo

Offline Phenix

Re: ISO keycap recomendations
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 03:39:09 »
Cherry HAD
Cherry SAD
Winter is coming.

Offline Quaranta

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 07:41:30 »
You don't provide much information... Do you want blank or printed sets? You used £, so UK maybe?

For reference, check the sticky: ALL KEYCAPS SITE LIST!

Anyway, I've been recently (last week) researching about ISO keycap sets, and I found that:
  • If you are looking for blank or UK sets, you're in luck, It's not gard to find quality ones.
  • If you are looking for Nordic or German, or even French sets, you may find them. IIRC i found some Vortex PBT ones on some shops.
  • For different ISO layouts, you probably have to get the customized WASD/Max Keyboards ABS sets. Not the best quality, but not expensive.

Offline Quaranta

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 07:54:00 »
Sorry, I forgot to comment about the ones Geroximo recommended:

http://www.keyboardco.com/product/double-shot-filco-105-key-uk-keyset.asp

I'm currently using that set. A good quality set, with a really nice vintage look.

However, depending on your current keycap set, it may took some time to get used to, as they're high. And depending on your keyboard case, you should expect a great change in the sound produced while typing. It was at least like that for my Filco. A nice sound in my opinion, although the space bar can be a bit annoying sometimes.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 08:01:21 »
Sorry, I forgot to comment about the ones Geroximo recommended:

http://www.keyboardco.com/product/double-shot-filco-105-key-uk-keyset.asp

I'm currently using that set. A good quality set, with a really nice vintage look.

However, depending on your current keycap set, it may took some time to get used to, as they're high. And depending on your keyboard case, you should expect a great change in the sound produced while typing. It was at least like that for my Filco. A nice sound in my opinion, although the space bar can be a bit annoying sometimes.

Is that set fully sculpted? I've read that it's either partially sculpted or all R3. There's only one set that I would buy that's all R3 (Rebel ofc). If I'm not mistaken that set is produced on the regular, I know there was a group buy (2012) but I've seen that set sell out (USA/ANSI) quite often via keyboardco.com. :confused:
Chris Schammert

Offline seville57

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 10:00:28 »
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some Good PBT/ABS cherry ISO keycaps But struggle to find any there mostly ANSI :( anyone got any recommendations ? :)

I'm willing to spend up to £60 or $79 BTW :)

You can take a look here: http://www.mechsupply.co.uk/product/tai-hao-abs-keycaps

http://www.mechsupply.co.uk/product/tai-hao-pbt-sunshine

There is some sets left:
http://www.mechsupply.co.uk/product/dsa-royal-navy

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Keys_and_Accessories.html

Yes, it is hard to find  keycaps sets for the ISO layout.

Here in sweden we have one shop that sells ISO/Nordic keycaps sets:
http://www.maxgaming.se/keycaps

Only the Red Ducky set is in stock and 2 of the WASD sets are in stock:
Purple and Green.

So I bought a ANSI k-board for some years ago and I right now I have some ANSI k-boards and some ANSI keycaps sets and I'm never gonna buy a ISO k-board anymore.

I'm waitin for my Royal Navy set (base set, numpad, modifiers and novelties sets) to arrive next month (18th Sep).
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 August 2016, 10:33:36 by seville57 »

Offline Quaranta

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 10:52:41 »
Is that set fully sculpted? I've read that it's either partially sculpted or all R3. There's only one set that I would buy that's all R3 (Rebel ofc). If I'm not mistaken that set is produced on the regular, I know there was a group buy (2012) but I've seen that set sell out (USA/ANSI) quite often via keyboardco.com. :confused:

Well now I'm not sure they're fully sculpted... I'd say maybe partially, I'm remembering that when I started using them I felt the keys on the top rows were lower than the original Filco OEMs. I have that keyboard in the office, and I'm not going there until next week, I'll check and report then.

If you're interested, I found a couple of reviews:
When I read the second one now I recalled the slippery feeling of the key tops when I first tried them. I got used to it now.

Overall, I think they're interesting at least. They were a big change for me. I don't regret byuing them, even they're expensive, because of the experience. But I'm not sure I would recommend them, and I can't compare them to anything. (But again, I haven't tried any SA, or many other keycaps yet.)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 11:23:28 »

Well now I'm not sure they're fully sculpted... I'd say maybe partially, I'm remembering that when I started using them I felt the keys on the top rows were lower than the original Filco OEMs. I have that keyboard in the office, and I'm not going there until next week, I'll check and report then.

If you're interested, I found a couple of reviews:
When I read the second one now I recalled the slippery feeling of the key tops when I first tried them. I got used to it now.

Overall, I think they're interesting at least. They were a big change for me. I don't regret byuing them, even they're expensive, because of the experience. But I'm not sure I would recommend them, and I can't compare them to anything. (But again, I haven't tried any SA, or many other keycaps yet.)

Initially, I was stoked to see a set of SA keycaps in a marketplace just sitting there waiting to be purchased. The sculpt seems to be missing--or maybe I'm pulling up pictures from a different era of the set. Seems like the F Row has an angle and the rest of the keys are flat. /shrug :-X
Chris Schammert

Offline Quaranta

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 16:54:40 »

Sorry I couldn't get to my Filco yet, but I found all the information you need was already on Keypuller!
http://keypuller.com/high-profile-double-shot-by-filco/

So I was wrong: I have already tried SA keycaps. From Keypuller:
The function and number rows are in SA Row-2 while all the other keys are in Row-3. The end result is very nice and the high quality and sturdiness of SA profile make this set quite desirable.

Edit: I was just closing Diatec's and Keyboard Co's product pages and I realized that Filco's own keysets use references "FK..." while these ones use "SPK...", for Signature Plastics I guess. :-[
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 August 2016, 17:12:31 by Quaranta »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 17:15:59 »

Sorry I couldn't get to my Filco yet, but I found all the information you need was already on Keypuller!
http://keypuller.com/high-profile-double-shot-by-filco/

So I was wrong: I have already tried SA keycaps. From Keypuller:
The function and number rows are in SA Row-2 while all the other keys are in Row-3. The end result is very nice and the high quality and sturdiness of SA profile make this set quite desirable.

Ah ok, I forgot about the Keypuller page whoops. So if Filco has not changed the original order (probably the case) then it's essentially a row 3 keyset. I make more mistakes on none sculpted keysets with staggered layout keyboards and it's a total bummer because the DSA sets look amazing! Rebel set is the only exception ofc
Chris Schammert

Offline Phenix

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 17:24:45 »
what do you dislike about SA REBEL?
Winter is coming.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 17:29:41 »
Get the Rebel ISO when it comes out Phenix! Definitely the only Row 3 SA set I would consider :)
Chris Schammert

Offline Phenix

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 17:31:18 »
I like Cherry profile way more, but im considering normal SA in the next carbon drop
Winter is coming.