Author Topic: Would you recommend Gateron Brown switches over CHERRY MX?  (Read 39503 times)

Offline Row009

Would you recommend Gateron Brown switches over CHERRY MX?
« on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 21:57:12 »
Hi,

So I'm looking into getting a new board with light tactile switches such as CHERRY MX BROWN.
I've heard that the CHERRY switches quality has dramatically dropped recently, and hear a lot of praise towards the counterfeit MX Compatible Gateron switches - In your opinion does this apply in the case of the Brown switches?
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 September 2016, 03:23:17 by Row009 »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: Would you recommend Gateron Brown switches over CHERRY MX?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 23:39:35 »
Counterfeit isn't really the right word here, clone would be more appropriate.

That being said, I'd recommend gateron over cherry. But to be fair, I'd recommend literally any other switch besides cherry browns.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 23:57:07 »
First of all, to be fair to all parties, gaterons are not counterfeit. The patent expired, and they are not being marketed as anything other than what they are. They are MX compatible switches. Counterfeit has real meaning that should be respected.

I'd take the "dramatic drop" in quality with a grain of salt. I've personally not noticed a difference outside of their linear switches, and even then only when gently fingering a key looking for imperfections, never when actually using the keyboard as a ****ing keyboard. This is not to question the virtues of those who proclaim a huge difference, only to say that YOU might or might not notice a difference, and even if you notice a difference you might or might not care.

All that said, I personally really like the lighter spring weight zealios instead of Browns. I think zeal has solved some of the issues I've had with gaterons and cherrys in the past (while creating some small other issues maybe, but I think those might be worked out for this latest round) and the lighter spring weight really does make the bump feel less pronounced. In truth, I have sampled a variety of tactile switches, but never the gateron brown specifically, so maybe someone else can help with that.

Offline keyladding

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 01:35:50 »
TL;DR If the switch doesn't say "Cherry" on it, you must call it "MX-Compatible on GeekHack.  This applies to all threads and forums, and especially to any for-sale posts

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56405.0

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 02:43:40 »
Gaterons are superior feeling. I can't really think of any major advantages that MX have over Gateron. The only one that comes to mind is that Gateron can be inconsistent with their wobbliness but it's not a huge problem.

But ALPS>Gateron

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 03:29:03 »
Currently using gateron browns on my va87 as my daily driver. Compared to mx browns, they are superior in terms of smoothness (i.e. when you press the switch slowly and one at a time) other than that, they feel the same. So get the gateron browns at a lower price. :)

Also tested some gateron vs cherry mx counterparts:
1. Gateron blues vs cherry mx blues. Gateron had noisier clicks.
2. Gateron red vs cherry mx red. Gateron Was noticeably smoother/less to no scratching than mx.

I just ordered some zeals 70 65g's for my next project and testers for each weight. Im so excited.  ;D

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 05:35:44 »

Offline nyunyu

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 07:57:21 »
I replaced my MX Brown springs+stems+top housings with Gateron Brown parts.
Bottom housing and the metal leaf is still Cherry, as I did not want to solder 104 keys.

I like the better tactility, but the Gateron spring is annoying me, as it makes a high pitch squeaking noise.
Now I'm thinking on taking my keyboard apart again, and putting back the thicker Cherry springs, which barely squeak.

Cherry parts:

Gateron parts:

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 08:01:54 »
Comparatively I find that Gaterons are better than many of their Cherry counterparts. I would describe them as more crisp and smooth  than many of the Cherry switches I have used in the past.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline nyunyu

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 08:12:31 »
All that said, I personally really like the lighter spring weight zealios instead of Browns. I think zeal has solved some of the issues I've had with gaterons and cherrys in the past (while creating some small other issues maybe, but I think those might be worked out for this latest round) and the lighter spring weight really does make the bump feel less pronounced. In truth, I have sampled a variety of tactile switches, but never the gateron brown specifically, so maybe someone else can help with that.

After I lubricated my hybrid Browns with PTFE spray, the smooth Gateron stems slide too easily.
Now the keys feel much lighter than they did with stock MX Browns.

I think I need heavier springs, probably from MX Blacks. (60gr?)

I lost one of my MX Brown springs earlier, so the spacebar has a spring from an MX Black, and I like it's heavier feel.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 08:50:55 »
I'd say pick up alps if you want something similar to browns, MX browns are pretty terrible, like a red with dirt in it. The tactile feedback leaves a lot to be desired. Clears or zealios are far superior IMO

Offline KingWhoDat

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 23:46:24 »
Have both, use both, Gateron browns are the cats pajamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 07:09:01 »
I'd say pick up alps if you want something similar to browns, MX browns are pretty terrible, like a red with dirt in it. The tactile feedback leaves a lot to be desired. Clears or zealios are far superior IMO
Totally agree. Reds with dirt is pretty accurate. Also would add that unlike typing on boobs, more like typing on silicone bolt-ons that were cut with liquid cement.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 07:46:22 »
I also experience the high pitch that most of the Gateron's springs do. Their stems tend to be a bit more wobbling than Cherry and the housing, in my opinion, has more dimensional variation that may contribute to the lack of fit of the stems.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 08:07:22 »
For me, grafting a bump onto the stem in an attempt to produce a tactile switch results in an uncomfortable feeling, as if the switch mechanism had a grain of sand in it. For this reason, I do not like Cherry mx browns. Gateron browns might be slightly smoother than Cherry mx browns, but either of them still feels to me like "dirty reds".

My own bias is that Cherry mx and clones are at their best in an unfettered linear switch. However, I find Cherry reds too light and Cherry blacks too heavy. Moreover, the contemporary reds and blacks are not as smooth as I would like. I tried Gateron yellows and liked them. They are a bit heavier than Cherry reds and lighter than Cherry blacks, and they are very smooth. Gateron yellows and blacks have the same actuation force, but yellows have a slightly lower bottoming-out force. Overall, in the entire line of Cherry mx and clones, the one I prefer is Gateron yellow.

I have heard some good things about Zealio switches, but I have not tried them.

Offline benderkey

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 09:14:35 »
Try Topre if you want a smooth switch.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 04:42:51 »
I've enjoyed my Gateron more than my Cherry's.
But that's just me though and I don't know if I'm in the majority here.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 08:34:43 »
Had my Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Tai Hao PBT caps for about a year and just recently purchased a KC 60 with Gateron Browns, immediately putting on Ducky PBT caps on them. I used to think that Cherry MX switches nice but since trying out the Gaterons, I couldn't believe the smoothness of the gaterons! So much so that I just put my Filco on the backburner and used my KC60 exclusively for a week and actually look forward to typing again! I suppose I just got used to my Filco. Purchased thick PBT keys for my Filco from Aliexpress and will reevaluate when I receive them. But for now, I can say that I am totally happy with the gateron browns.

As others have commented, they're smoother and have more of a tactile bump compared to the Cherry versions.
ALi
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Browns | KC60 Gateron Browns

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 09:33:11 »
I use both and I can give you my opinions.  MX Brown is my favorite, but only slightly.  The gateron browns are ever so slightly lighter and more tactile.  The QC for the gaterons is slightly worse.  The gaterons do much better with a lighter ABS keycap as they are more responsive and you get less ping. 

I replaced all the switches on a Poker and 20 or 25 out of the 61 or so switches ping, and some of them very loudly.  They do however have a pleasant action if you like a light switch.

I can't really corroborate the claims of Cherry's quality to have declined, however I've only been using them about 2 years, but they have been consistent.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 09:39:26 »
I use both and I can give you my opinions.  MX Brown is my favorite, but only slightly.  The gateron browns are ever so slightly lighter and more tactile.  The QC for the gaterons is slightly worse.  The gaterons do much better with a lighter ABS keycap as they are more responsive and you get less ping. 

I replaced all the switches on a Poker and 20 or 25 out of the 61 or so switches ping, and some of them very loudly.  They do however have a pleasant action if you like a light switch.

I can't really corroborate the claims of Cherry's quality to have declined, however I've only been using them about 2 years, but they have been consistent.
I've never noticed pinging on mine except for on the backspace and then not when I'm normally typing but i guess each board is different. I guess the gaterons do feel somewhat lighter but I just put it down to the smoothness. Same as how Cherry reds feel lighter to me than browns.
ALi
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Browns | KC60 Gateron Browns