Author Topic: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Pre Group Buy Interest Poll! Check the original post.  (Read 19025 times)

CAPS UNLOCKED, silentreader and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline dyoungc

Is there an estimated price on this PCB + plate GB?
I'm currently deciding between this and the current GB for YAS62 with the split spacebar layout. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0;topicseen

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two PCBs?
As far as I can tell, theres:
-more flexibility in bottom left layout and support for different size spacebars/layouts on YAS
-orientation of keys around arrow cluster
-YAS has 0.75u spaces on bottom

I'm on the fence about both, so my choice would really come down to price.

Offline Arhipio

Is there an estimated price on this PCB + plate GB?
I'm currently deciding between this and the current GB for YAS62 with the split spacebar layout. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0;topicseen

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two PCBs?
As far as I can tell, theres:
-more flexibility in bottom left layout and support for different size spacebars/layouts on YAS
-orientation of keys around arrow cluster
-YAS has 0.75u spaces on bottom

I'm on the fence about both, so my choice would really come down to price.

We're shooting for $40 for the plate and $40 for the pcb. As for shipping costs, we'll be shipping from the US. I might be able to get the plate cost down to $30-35, but that's tentative.

Your call :D , I didn't even realize the YAS board existed until a week or two ago. Randomly people started comparing this board to the other one. If you want a classic style 60 go for the Banana, if the HHKB layout is something you like I would go for the YAS.

Offline dyoungc

Thanks for the quick reply.
So it looks like there's about $15 - $20 price difference.
I'll have to do some more research and thinking before I commit to one.   

Offline Giorgio

• Formerly gianni
A thick PCB would be a good idea for those who don't want a plate.

Offline Daphen

Would a blocked layout be possible?
Looking for an HHKB with split space. :)

Offline Arhipio

Would a blocked layout be possible?
Looking for an HHKB with split space. :)

Our pcb support multiple hhkb style layouts. As for the plate you would have to get one custom cut if you want the blocked look. Lasergist offers some competitive prices, you can get a stainless steel plate cut for around $60.

Online ChitownM2

Just found this IC & like others are currently looking at the yas GB.

The main benefit I see here is that it doesn't have the 0.75u spaces on the bottom row which means I wouldn't need a low profile case.

Any ideas on how far out this GB is from launching? I think that will play a role in whether I get 2 yas boards or one of each...

Offline Arhipio

The main benefit I see here is that it doesn't have the 0.75u spaces on the bottom row which means I wouldn't need a low profile case.

Any ideas on how far out this GB is from launching? I think that will play a role in whether I get 2 yas boards or one of each...

Still a while away, evan is in the process of moving so not much work has been done on the pcb. For the gb launch I'd like to shoot for early spring time, march-april.

Online ChitownM2

Still a while away, evan is in the process of moving so not much work has been done on the pcb. For the gb launch I'd like to shoot for early spring time, march-april.

That's not too far away compared to most of the ICs on here.  :)