Author Topic: A new field in the pursuit of cost-effectiveness.  (Read 1331 times)

Offline PatchSalts

A new field in the pursuit of cost-effectiveness.
« on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 10:14:46 »
I don't even have my first mech (although it's slated to be a MagicForce 68 with Gateron browns), but a few days ago I noticed posts on Reddit of people receiving their Nantucket Selectric sets, and was immediately pissed that I missed them. So here I am, to hang around the interest check threads, haha. I didn't like the way forums worked, but once you stay for a while, it's not so bad. I already found 5 keysets I might wish to group buy someday. The only problem is that I like to be as cost-effective, and I'm struggling with the fact that a good group buy of keysets alone will run me more than the cost of my planned mech. Oh well.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
Re: A new field in the pursuit of cost-effectiveness.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 11:21:17 »
This is still a pretty niche hobby. Some things are starting to lessen in price as the availability goes up. One day when the masses discover mechanical keyboard we will see a lot more affordability. But who knows when or if that may happen.

For now try to plan your purchases wisely. I know they are all so pretty, but it can add up quick. There will always be something new around the corner, or sometimes the old reruns. Make sure you really want something before jumping in. That being said generally key sets can be sold aftermarket so you could recoup your money and use it for something new.

I'm excited for you when you get your board. Show us when you do!
Check out our Artisan keys at Primecaps.ca

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 17:24:21 »
This hobby needs time.
In the beginning everything is new and exciting and you want to just join every single groupbuy and try every single keyboard at once.
But trust me, you don't have the knowledge yet to decide what you want and what you don't want.
Give it some time before you spend all your money.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 20:19:16 »
afaik HHKB or Leopold/Varmilo seem to be the go-to keyboards that result is the least amount of money spent on other keyboards

Welcome aboard :)
Chris Schammert