Author Topic: Can anyone ID this retro keyboard?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline heretherebackagain

Can anyone ID this retro keyboard?
« on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 22:21:36 »
I've found a retro looking keyboard online which looks pretty similar to some of the old IBM buckling spring stuff, and I was wondering if anyone could see if it has any value (not a membrane). Thanks.

Offline Altis

Re: Can anyone ID this retro keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 23:19:50 »
Would you be able to post a photo of the label on the back?

Also, if you can describe the feel and sound when you press a key... or better yet, pull a keycap off and post a photo of the switch underneath.

That should make it much easier to figure out what it is.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 23:20:13 »
It looks just like any regular keyboard from the late '90s. It is about as generic-looking as you can get. It is likely to be a rubber-dome keyboard.
The only thing that sets it apart are that the LED windows are a bit high up. I think I might have seen that before but I am not sure.

IBM's Model M keyboards have different edges, a prominent IBM logo and did not have Windows keys (AFAIK). I think all buckling spring keyboards with Windows keys were made by Unicomp - in which case you would see Unicomp's logo there instead.
The IBM Model M2 has very narrow edges and also a prominent IBM logo.

If this is a keyboard you found on eBay or other auction site: Be aware that many sellers on eBay use the term "clicky" in a very wide sense ... so don't be fooled by that.
A serious seller should always post a photo of the label on the back of the keyboard. There should be the name of the manufacturer, model number or at least a FCC ID. With the last one, you could look up the manufacturer and model on-line.

BTW: "Membrane" refers to the contact mechanism in the bottom of many rubber dome keyboards. A membrane keyboard is not necessarily a rubber dome keyboard or vice versa. Rubber domes could be moulded in sheets, be separate inside or even glued to a membrane but rubber domes could also be backed by a printed circuit-board.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 November 2016, 23:33:39 by Findecanor »

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 00:19:27 »
The layout, with the big backwards L-shaped enter key (which used to be very common) and tiny backspace key (a bad idea that wasn't so common) eliminates some possibilities (Dell, IBM, Northgate, etc.)  Chicony sometimes made boards with a similar layout.  It could have Alps switches but you'd have to pull a keycap to know.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 00:25:03 »
Chicony can be ruled out because their right Control and Menu keys are together as wide as the right Shift.
That goes for both their mechanical and their rubber dome keyboards.

Offline Tangtawan

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 13:51:35 »
FYI, IBM Model M is also a membrane keyboard. It utilizes buckling spring over membrane mechanism.
My boards : Model F AT (6450200), Industrial M (1394950), Model M SSK (1391472), Model M13 (13H6705), Model M (1390131), Focus FK-2001 (ALPS SKCM Blue), HHKB Pro 2, Realforce 87U 55g, KBP V80 Matias Click, TADA68 (Gateron Reds), Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (67g Ergo Clears), Cherry G80-11800 (Ergo Clears), KBT One 108 (MX White), Ducky One TKL RGB (MX Black), Filco Majestouch Tenkeypad (MX Brown), Leopold FC210TP (MX Red)

Offline menuhin

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 14:09:33 »
Looks like a Key Tronic to me, a nice rubber-dome model with a bad-ass enter key.
https://keyboards.keytronic.com/home/products/specs/kt800p1.htm
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 16:58:02 »
OP posted the FCC ID elsewhere. It was something like J2S104DAW, i.e., the company was Siam United Hi Tech Ltd.