Author Topic: 50 greatest workstation setups  (Read 18716 times)

Offline spolia optima

50 greatest workstation setups
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 13:40:47 »
Yeah, the US has the best health care in the world. For the majority of the population, anyway. UNFORTUNATELY it's all because of **** like actuarial risk taking, retrospective reimbursement, and other money-making schemes on the part of insurance companies.

We have the best health care because we have the best equipment and doctors. We have that stuff because we can afford it. We can afford it because we screw people out of their hard-earned money just to keep them alive. Never mind preventative care... that's not a good way to make money either. It's better to let people destroy their bodies, then charge them to fix it.

Oh, and for expenses... only 1% of total US health care cost is attributed to malpractice insurance. Defensive medicine accounts for another 4%. The biggest contributor to rising costs is the effect of "rate spiraling", in which declining coverage leads to higher costs, and vice-versa.
keyboards!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 15:32:27 »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 16:08:44 »
zOMFG webwit changed his avie.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 16:23:26 »
Prepare to spend a long time browsing. Those are exquisite photography.

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 16:45:21 »
Quote from: webwit;154849
Just after Costa Rica and just before Elbonia.

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems was last produced in 2000, and the WHO no longer produces such a ranking table, because of the complexity of the task.

Which implies that the list ment **** even when it was made.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 16:48:58 »

It must be noted that the WHO rankings are largely based on the % of citizens given health care- not the quality or modernity of treatment. This isn't a criticism of the WHO system, but it should be kept in mind.

My personal health insurance plan is hugely ineffective. I have a pre-existing condition, and with every doctor's visit  I am subject to a $60 co-pay, along with a percentage of any costs that come from testing and such. All of my medications are available generic and cheap, which is fortunate. New drugs would cost me a bundle.

IMHO the US would benefit from a health care system based off of the Swiss model. This isn't likely to happen, but it's a remote possibility considering  that reform must come from the top-down.

If the US could start from scratch (which they cannot), Singapore's system would be ideal. It's possibly the most efficient system on earth, combining the best elements from Bismark-style systems, single-payer systems, and the "pay-as-you-go" American model.
keyboards!

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 17:00:31 »
Health facilities in the US are very modern, the have the nicest workstations i've ever seen (keeping this on-topic)- new computers, the most expensive equipment, comfy beds and excellent service.

I used to head up to Canada every 6 months for prescriptions. They have the nicest doctors in the world there- not even kidding. They are really dedicated to their work, from my experience, and you can tell that they became doctors to help people, not get rich. Their equipment leaves something to be desired, though. Clinics that I've visited in Canada seem really cheap- Rickety old chairs and walls that haven't been painted in years. They're understaffed, and you'll see computers that look straight out of the early 90's. Comparable to your average "Free clinic" in the States. It's refreshing to walk into a Canadian drug store though. They actually sell medicine there. Wow. American drug stores seem to be good for buying greeting cards, junk food, plastic toys, batteries, etc... like mini wal marts. It's disgusting.
keyboards!

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 17:25:22 »
Link's busted, Mr. Wit
keyboards!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 30 January 2010, 17:58:02 »

Any list that considers the UK and Irish health system in it's top 20 is obviously horrendously mistaken.

Health facilities in the US are very modern, the have the nicest workstations i've ever seen (keeping this on-topic)- new computers, the most expensive equipment, comfy beds and excellent service.

DOCTOR: I'm sorry, but you have cancer.
PATIENT: Is there anything you do?
DOCTOR: No, but check out my pimpin' SLI rig!

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 02:56:00 »
Quote from: ch_123;154887
Any list that considers the UK and Irish health system in it's top 20 is obviously horrendously mistaken.

But your doctors drive Audis and live in million dollars homes (according to Moore).

Offline kode

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 05:35:44 »
I broke my arm and hand back in november, and I'm out $70 or thereabouts for the treatment. That's pretty okay by my standards. Included three x-ray sessions, one of them being a CT scan.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 06:55:20 »
How long did it take for you go get treated? I'm interested.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 10:49:43 »
Datapoint: US Healthcare.

This week my 4-year old saw an emergency room doc within 30 mins when she broke her thumb. He didn't actually touch her for another hour because he had just treated a contagious person, but by the time he was back to us we had xrays and a splint on the thumb.

This was FAR faster than my nurse-trained wife thought we'd get her seen. We were not displeased.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 10:51:47 »
ricercar, do you have medical insurance?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 10:54:24 »
Money perhaps being a delicate subject here, but you'd get the same thing here minus any expense save for the splint.

Edit:
It just occurred to me...should probably mention each province has a different system, so when I say "you'd get the same thing here", that means in the province of Ontario with an OHIP card (issued to all Canadian citizens living in ON as I understand it)
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 January 2010, 11:04:23 by kishy »
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 11:04:42 »
Certainly no laughing matter - one of my great aunts met her end when she came down in the middle of the night for her cough bottle, but took some horse medicine instead...

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 11:11:32 »
One problem with the emergency room system is whenever there's an automobile accident, people get sent to the hospital over a bruise or a small cut, and are put at a higher priority than people who really need urgent care.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 11:30:00 »
I blame Obama.

Offline kode

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 11:32:03 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;154994
How long did it take for you go get treated? I'm interested.

Seeing as I went to the emergency reception, it took perhaps 5-6 hours in total over 3 visits.

Why?

Offline kode

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 11:36:22 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;155067
One problem with the emergency room system is whenever there's an automobile accident, people get sent to the hospital over a bruise or a small cut, and are put at a higher priority than people who really need urgent care.

There is no way to automatically know that it is just bruises and small cuts, and not also internal injuries.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 11:38:39 »
Oh, I see what's going on here...

Hey Kode, how much did you have to pay to get your arm fixed?

Offline exia

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 13:35:07 »
Quote from: ch_123;155076
I blame Obama.

Millions of people in the US without healthcare and all he is trying to do is to help and the people are rejecting his solutions. What a strange bunch of people.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 14:01:43 »
Quote from: bigpook;155053
ricercar, do you have medical insurance?

My girl does: public dole Medicaid (MediCAL? I can't remember the name). We chose the hospital on that basis.

Quote from: microsoft windows;155067
whenever there's an automobile accident, people get sent to the hospital over a bruise or a small cut, and are put at a higher priority than people who really need urgent care.

Not so. Every competently-run emergency room has a Triage Nurse evaluating patients who enter.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 January 2010, 14:18:01 by ricercar »

Offline kode

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 14:06:34 »
Quote from: ch_123;155080
Oh, I see what's going on here...

Hey Kode, how much did you have to pay to get your arm fixed?

like I said earlier, about $70 in total.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 14:39:18 »
Quote from: In Stereo!;154866
Which implies that the list ment **** even when it was made.

Yet it bears an uncanny correlation to the list of life expectancy by country. The U.S. is around 37/38 depending which list you look at. Not impressive for a country that believes it has the best healthcare in the world.

Possibly more down to diet than healthcare, but still relevant.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 16:45:46 »
Quote from: Rajagra;155121
Yet it bears an uncanny correlation to the list of life expectancy by country. The U.S. is around 37/38 depending which list you look at. Not impressive for a country that believes it has the best healthcare in the world.

Possibly more down to diet than healthcare, but still relevant.

JSYK The averages for life expectancy are very controversial when used as a talking point in overall health care quality.
Correlation != Causation. There are dozens of causal links in a nation's average life expectancy, from domestic politics and environmental factors- to race, ethnicity, religious practice, and cultural norms. Then again, I'm a stupid pig American. Nothing I say is relevant, so I'll just end this with we have the bomb.
keyboards!

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 16:53:22 »
keyboards!

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 17:01:55 »
The real question, spolia, is who set up you the bomb?
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 17:17:03 »
Quote from: spolia optima;155189
JSYK The averages for life expectancy are very controversial ...
Correlation != Causation. There are dozens of causal links in a nation's average life expectancy...

Hey Spolia, smart insights... BTW, what's your background in?

Yeah, there are so many ways to read the life expectancy numbers but one thing that you can't conclude from it is that the US Healthcare system is so elite that it's able to overcome possible deficits in lifestyle and diet.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 17:35:10 »
Lol, my only background is a few sociology courses in community college, Thanks for the compliment though :)
I pay pretty close attention to the health care debate... mostly because of its personal effects on my family. There's really no two sides to this debate. Opponents of universal health are wrong. Usually, they're either brainwashed talk-radio listeners or union slobs scared of having to share an emergency room with 'poor people'. Health and education should be free and available to anyone who requests it. No questions asked.

My mom had to spend over $60,000 out of pocket because she had breast cancer. **** the insurance industry. **** them in their stupid asses.
keyboards!

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 17:39:56 »
Quote from: kishy;155192
The real question, spolia, is who set up you the bomb?

these guys

they're pretty cool guys. they am become death and doesn't afraid of anything.
keyboards!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 18:20:50 »
Quote from: exia;155104
Millions of people in the US without healthcare and all he is trying to do is to help and the people are rejecting his solutions. What a strange bunch of people.

There's more to it than that. Maybe you should read the bill.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 18:32:32 »
Quote from: spolia optima;155196
these guys

they're pretty cool guys. they am become death and doesn't afraid of anything.

I lol'd...

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 18:44:11 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;155202

We've got time. Surprise me. Tell me what some of us are overlooking.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 19:28:17 »
All I know for sure is that everyone wants healthcare to be available, and have to pay for it one way or another(insurance, tax or direct payment), so it makes sense to make the service available in the most cost efficient and fair way possible. This is one area where private enterprise simply does not shine.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:26:38 »
Quote from: webwit;155197
The French are number one on that list, and also have the bomb.

touché
keyboards!

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:33:08 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;155202

you are so awesome.:lol:
keyboards!

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 01 February 2010, 00:15:37 »
Quote from: spolia optima;155195
Lol, my only background is a few sociology courses in community college, Thanks for the compliment though :)
I pay pretty close attention to the health care debate... mostly because of its personal effects on my family. There's really no two sides to this debate. Opponents of universal health are wrong. Usually, they're either brainwashed talk-radio listeners or union slobs scared of having to share an emergency room with 'poor people'. Health and education should be free and available to anyone who requests it. No questions asked.

My mom had to spend over $60,000 out of pocket because she had breast cancer. **** the insurance industry. **** them in their stupid asses.

Well, kudos... it looks like you were paying attention in that sociology class.

While I'd like to see more people have access to healthcare and education, my personal belief could be summarized by a quote I read somewhere that said something like this:

Evolution takes a lot more time than a revolution, but a lot fewer people have to die.

Any complex system that changes too fast risks collapsing the infrastructure needed for those changes to succeed. I have no love for private insurers... even non-profit ones, but they are needed for the foreseeable future in the American healthcare system and I say this as someone who's self employed and pays $700/month in premiums to cover just myself and still pay $100 per doctor's visit because my $700/month plan does not let me see the doctor I've had for many years before I enrolled in my current plan. Needless to say, something is very wrong with this equation, but there are things that are wrong with the American healthcare system all across the board. Waxing off private insurers will satisfy a lot of righteous anger, but probably won't really solve enough of the many deeply ingrained problems to make such a risky proposition worthwhile.
-

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 01 February 2010, 17:11:51 »
Back to the topic!

Girl included.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 01 February 2010, 17:21:41 »
I went on that site and posted my set up at the end. It's the only one with a good keyboard.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 01 February 2010, 17:52:01 »
I looked at all those setups, they are all Macs, they are no good.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 02 February 2010, 02:31:34 »
Depends on how you quantify 'good'. If you mean that they aren't beige, then yeah, sure.

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 15:03:28 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;154048
ASM is fun because you can write stuff that ~95% of programmers won't be able to decipher, but it's not exactly fun to write.

It's not the same assembler, but I work on code every day nobody can decipher.

I think Perl and APL lead the pack in opaque code. I don't know if it's true of Perl, but you can write APL that even you can't figure out a week after you wrote it.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 15:05:30 »
Quote from: ch_123;154681
Well, ever since your country decided to rule the world, it's everyone's problem really.

Sticky!
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 15:06:01 »
Quote from: ch_123;154734
Well, if any news report I've read is to believed, it's more like "Who's sitting around in heavily guarded bases with lots of aid, but doing very little?"

Ah well, it depends on whether you catch me on a good day or not ;)

Minus the aid of course, even on a good day.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 February 2010, 15:09:35 by ironcoder »

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 15:17:41 »
Quote from: ironcoder;156295
It's not the same assembler, but I work on code every day nobody can decipher.

I think Perl and APL lead the pack in opaque code. I don't know if it's true of Perl, but you can write APL that even you can't figure out a week after you wrote it.

you mean obscure not opaque?  Perl is pretty straightforward since it is rather new but APL is definitely not reader friendly.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 15:46:49 »
Quote from: ch_123;155558
Depends on how you quantify 'good'. If you mean that they aren't beige, then yeah, sure.

Just because the computers are good doesn't mean the set-ups are. Take a look at the keyboards on them for instance.

Offline cb951303

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 15:54:47 »
Quote from: In Stereo!;155442
Back to the topic!

Girl included.

nice illustration. do you know the painter?
Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB
Kensington Orbit K72337US

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 04:55:40 »
Not really. Found that in the random pictures folder.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 05 February 2010, 14:26:50 »
Soda cans give it away; she must be Sandra Bullock in that old hacker film. I always wondered how she maintained her figure eating the pizza and fast-food **** she's portrayed eating.