Author Topic: 6 7 y u keys don't work after soldering h key multiple times  (Read 967 times)

Offline solemnP

6 7 y u keys don't work after soldering h key multiple times
« on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 16:54:47 »
The PCB is a NerD60. I desoldered every switch to lube them, then soldered them back in. Tested the switches and noticed h key was acting funny and it turns out i bent the metal inside the switch so replaced it with a new switch and soldered it in. Now h key works perfectly. During all that i soldered and desoldered the h key like 3 times. HOWEVER, my 6 7 y u keys no longer work even though they were working fine before. I took some pictures so maybe someone can spot the problem and tell me how to fix. I took out h key once again for clearer pictures. Also, any dark black spots are actually foam left over from when i tried foam between pcb and case to dampen sound. I have a multimeter somewhere if necessary.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 16:56:35 by solemnP »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: 6 7 y u keys don't work after soldering h key multiple times
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 17:46:29 »
I'm pretty sure from looking at the TMK firmware that the left pins of 6 7 Y U G H B and N should all be connected so test that with your multimeter.

If they are not all connected you can touch a wire from the left pin of H to the right pin of one of the dead switches and it should output the correct character, if it does solder a jumper from the left pin of H to the left pin of that switch and I wouldn't be surprised if they all come back to life.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline solemnP

Re: 6 7 y u keys don't work after soldering h key multiple times
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 18:05:07 »
I'm pretty sure from looking at the TMK firmware that the left pins of 6 7 Y U G H B and N should all be connected so test that with your multimeter.

If they are not all connected you can touch a wire from the left pin of H to the right pin of one of the dead switches and it should output the correct character, if it does solder a jumper from the left pin of H to the left pin of that switch and I wouldn't be surprised if they all come back to life.

Thanks for the reply. So from my multimeter it appears that the left pins of 6 7 Y U are connected and separate from G H B N which are connected. I touched a wire from left pins of H to right pin of 6 7 Y and U and it registered the correct keypresses. So i'll solder a jumper from the left pin of H to the left pin of U. Thanks again  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 18:56:18 by solemnP »