Author Topic: Lubing plate-mounted switches?  (Read 6801 times)

Offline zpcomstock17

Lubing plate-mounted switches?
« on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 16:13:22 »
I know it's possible but there's a lack of information on youtube and even this forum, does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Dyaems

Re: Lubing plate-mounted switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 23:33:39 »
i think you need to desolder the switches first, unless your plate has those cuts for switch top cover removal similar to the pic below

B.face X2
  65g Zealios

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 03:29:11 »
It all depends on how thorough you want to be. I will admit that once you get the hang of it, its really not a big deal to desolder a board, do your due diligence with the switches (oil, lube, sticker, spring swap) and solder it all back together.

However, i understand that its a little daunting for some people and its time consuming. There is another option that I guess people frown upon for some reason or another but I have done this, and its totally fine if you're careful. Your main contact points are the sides of where the stem "rides" the sides of the switch base. Thats where you will get the impact of lube. And as you use the switch, the lube will smear around and spread out so really you just need to get a tiny bit in there and it will work itself out:

What you need:
1. Tiny paintbrush (i bought a set of cheap #1,2,3 synthetic brushes from the craft store just for doing silly keyboard stuff)
2. Good lube. I use a 1:1 mix of Krytox GPL 100 oil and GPL 205 grease. This works for me.
3. Paperclip or similar.
4. Steady hand.

-Dana

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 05:50:28 »

What you need:
1. Tiny paintbrush (i bought a set of cheap #1,2,3 synthetic brushes from the craft store just for doing silly keyboard stuff)
2. Good lube. I use a 1:1 mix of Krytox GPL 100 oil and GPL 205 grease. This works for me.
3. Paperclip or similar.
4. Steady hand.

I didn't buy GPL100 oil because I can't oil the springs without desoldering and voiding my warranty. I saw on an old post here that the grease is enough for just the sliders. I hope it's true, otherwise I'm going to have to burn some money for the oil. :-[
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 February 2017, 06:07:45 by zpcomstock17 »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 10:30:12 »
in my humble opinion, grease on the sides of the sliders = 90% of the impact, oil on spring and grease on "bumps" of the slider which require desoldering is the other 10%. Worth doing if you've already got the switches out and are building a board from scratch, but probably not worth desoldering a board for. Unless you're a masochist.
-Dana