Author Topic: Another noob, who stranded here looking for a new keyboard.  (Read 1633 times)

Offline tekteq

Another noob, who stranded here looking for a new keyboard.
« on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 18:22:08 »
Hi, I'm Seb, a UX-Designer in his mid 30s who discovered this beautiful world you guys participate in just a few days ago. Since then I've been overwhelmed with all the info and thought it might be better to participate to learn a thing or two. Like probably most of you, I landed here when I was looking for a new keyboard and just couldn't decide - only to be sucked into this realm of completely new possibilites that this forum has shown me.  I've been using mechanical keyboards at work for a few years, but never felt the need to own one at home, because as long as my old keyboard at home worked I never saw a reason to replace it. If you're wondering why: The Ideazon Merc Stealth is a pretty special piece and I still love it for gaming and for it's macro capabilities. I've held off on getting a new one for as long as it works, because for gaming it will be a pretty big adjustment to stop using it. I've had it since it was released (i think 2008).

But recently a change in my life happened: After a few years of mostly prototyping and creating concepts for interfaces i've got a new position within the company which requires me to "code" (" because it's just html and css) again. As I thought it would be better for me to do it with the merc (so much space for macros), i thought about getting a new keyboard for my home - i can't just bring my work keyboard home, because it has blue switches and my girlfriend will kill me. I'm 65% sure I'm not even joking.  So the search for a new keyboard began 14 days ago and here I am, still no new keyboard, feeling lost and overwhelmed with all the possibilities, craving for all the cool stuff you guys showed me, like custom layouts or artisan keycaps and wondering if I should just buy or build something myself and If I should get 2 instead of 1, because it does not happen very often that I get excited about such things... but when that happens I'm willing to empty my pockets in that direction.

When the search started the choice was between a cheap chinese brand, ozone or a corsair. Now the choice isn't between brands anymore. I'm pretty sure I want a 65% iso layout with floating key design, rgb backlight, detachable usb cable on the left side and gradient keycap colors (I mean one color per line). That's probably not available ready made. But I'll probably start with buying something readymade, just don't know what yet. It'll probably be a couple more days until I can fully comprehend all the options, but I'm pretty sure I'll stick around after I made a decision, because your builds and infos are incredible.

Cheers!

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
Re: Another noob, who stranded here looking for a new keyboard.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 04:31:27 »
Too bad your gf doesn't like clicky sounds like mine  :D i gave her my board with blues on it. Maybe you should get a linear MX board or a Topre board.

That Merc Stealth board looks wild. I have never seen it before.

Offline tekteq

Re: Another noob, who stranded here looking for a new keyboard.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 13:49:37 »
Too bad your gf doesn't like clicky sounds like mine  :D i gave her my board with blues on it. Maybe you should get a linear MX board or a Topre board.
Yeah, the more I look into it, the more I think it will probably be black switches. Still not sure though. The current plan is to get a cheap chinese board that I can take apart and then customize to my needs. While I'm absolutely willing to spend a lot on my first keyboard, I don't want to waste money by maybe purchasing a lot of stuff that I will not like, so I think it'll be better to make some smaller partly investments. My girlfriend is a laptop user with very limited deskspace available for peripherals (she's an illustrator), so i probably won't be able to make her share this passion with me.

That Merc Stealth board looks wild. I have never seen it before.
It was actually one of the first ones I've seen that had multicolor backlighting. When I saw the ad in a magazine I knew I had to have it and it was as cool as I thought it would be. That "gamepad" part was a great addition. I really got used to it and it is so much more convenient than having macro keys somewhere on a section of the board that you usually would not use. There was also a clone version available from Hama called Crux, which was exactly the same except for the lights. I got that one for my old job. It also used the same Z-Engine Software for Macros and Customization. However, it seems that both versions weren't very popular. It was made by Ideazon, who many people know for their Z-Boards, but when they got bought out by SteelSeries the Merc completely vanished from the market. The Crux was still available for a year or so, but I do not know of anyone else who owns one of them.