Author Topic: Has the HHKB been the closest to "Endgame" at GH?  (Read 28562 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Has the HHKB been the closest to "Endgame" at GH?
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 13:29:05 »
Let's be honest; if you think you'll ever get a true "endgame" keyboard, you're doing it wrong, and if you decide it's the HHKB, you REALLY haven't been around enough :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 14:02:04 »
Let's be honest; if you think you'll ever get a true "endgame" keyboard, you're doing it wrong, and if you decide it's the HHKB, you REALLY haven't been around enough :p .

Maybe deciding the HHKB is endgame is the ultimate form of enlightenment because after the 1 board you no longer feel the need to spend a ton on customs and the endless cycle of modding switches.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 14:28:22 »

Maybe deciding the HHKB is endgame is the ultimate form of enlightenment because after the 1 board you no longer feel the need to spend a ton on customs and the endless cycle of modding switches.

This makes me sad because I realize I have a ton of money out on custom MX boards when deep down I know I will still enjoy my hhkb more... haha

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 14:44:10 »
This makes me sad because I realize I have a ton of money out on custom MX boards when deep down I know I will still enjoy my hhkb more... haha

I don't think I'll ever find 1 board that's my true "endgame". I like rotating through different switches and having a few options, but if I had to pick only one of my boards it'd be my GON HHKB with 78g lubed gat clears. I love my HHKBs but I don't think I'll ever go full time Topre.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 17:23:21 »
Started out with a unicomp, then got clears, then blues, then got a Novatouch, and finally a leopold (I'm sure I could get used to the layout, and they look great, but I have never felt the urge to get a HHKB). I love the feeling of typing on my topre boards, and I don't give a damn if I've come full circle and I'm back to rubber domes. It just feels much better, to me. That's what it has always been about when it comes down to it.

Topre is a ***** and a half to get different caps for, which is probably the worst thing about it. There are options for switching out the sliders for mx-compatible ones, but not much in terms of straight up buying caps and putting them on.

There's also limited options for modifying the feel: 55g/BKE domes, silencing/lubing the switches... That's pretty much it, and some of the things that truly make a difference are expensive or hard to get. Worth it, in my opinion, but it's not for everyone.

On the other hand, it's pretty easy to modify compared to MX. What can you do with cherry switches? Swap out the springs, jailhouse those clicky switches, lube the stems, completely change the switch types? That requires (de)soldering if it's plate mounted - if you are really passionate about it, you can certainly do those things once you learn, but it's a good amount of trouble. With Topre, you just remove the case, take out some screws, and switch things out.

On the other-other hand, the sheer number of options for MX is insane, because they are so plentiful. Different switches have completely different feels, and pretty much all the commercial and custom switch/cap makers produce MX, so you could spend all of your time with MX and never "need" to get Topre. Add in the fact that you can build a custom board from almost scratch, and you have a strong case for MX being the way to go if you want to find your own personal endgame.

There's no way to pick an endgame for everyone, but as for the switches themselves, Topre is the endgame for me.
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline teraflame

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 12:05:24 »
Leopold FC660C is the true endgame.
Rubber in domes

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 04:07:17 »
Leopold FC660C is the true endgame.

I enjoy my HHKB layout but do find the 660c feels nicer to type on.

Offline Hordak

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 05:46:08 »
I heard on the new Leopolds the numbers row has a lighter actuation force (35g). Also, afaik it's not easy to get replacement keycaps? The backspace placement is way more ergonomic on the HHKB (after switching with delete).

The HHKB is far removed from a theoretical endgame, however it is the only one you can practically get. It is lacking in many areas but still stands tall above the competition, even though it has been around for such a long time now (and that's also sad, because it shows that PFU does not really care about it's products).