Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oblivion, Group Buy is LIVE till May 19th  (Read 60884 times)

Offline ehmlis

[...]

Scenario 1:
You buy the set from a german vendor for 133$ plus 19% VAT and 7$ shipping, you end up paying 165.27$

Scenario 2:
You buy the set from a american vendor for 133$, pay 19% import taxes and 20$ shipping, you end up paying 178.27$

[...]

Scenario 3: You live in Sweden and get royally ****ed. $133 for the set from an American vendor, ~$20 in shipping cost, between 0-20% import tax depending on the kind of product, in this case ~10%, on both keyset and shipping cost. Then you also have to pay 25% in VAT, on both the keyset, the shipping and the import fee. Additionally you have to pay a fee of ~$14 to the shipping company for their 'service' of filling out the import form for you. So in total ~$225.

Scenario 4: You live in Sweden and buy it from a German vendor. You pay $133 for the set, the 19% German VAT, maybe ~$10 shipping, and then no import tax, no extra Swedish VAT and no extra fee to the shipping company. In total ~$168.

That's $57 I, as a Swede, have to pay for no good reason. If I buy, say, three different GMK sets from the US instead of Germany, I've paid for a fourth set in taxes.

I do, however, get it. This is a niche hobby and the community is much larger in the US and it's cheaper for them to just buy it from a vendor in their own country when there is no German VAT applied, and therefore you get more people buying the set. But it would be nice with an EU-proxy, especially when you aren't running it through Massdrop. I mean, sure, $57 isn't that much money, but I can do more fun things with it instead of paying unnecessary taxes and import fees.

All in all it's a nice set, even though I like the SA version more. Good luck with the GB :)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
unless you have them declare it low value to avoid those import taxes... are you sure import is only 19% here in germany? anyway thanks for clarifying.
Sorry, still not clear. I have almost no idea how a GB is ran. Please bare with me.
 Assuming a german vendor. GMK wants $133 per set. Sets are shipped from GMK to the vendor, vendor forwards my set to me and i have to pay another $7 shipping. What's the 19% VAT for?
Assuming american vendor. Vendor ships the set back to Germany to me, i have to pay for ~$20 shipping + import fees.
What am I missing?

No expert on this subject as I'm in the U.S., but the $133 price does not include the VAT as it is being shipped outside the country and thus not subject to the tax. If the kit was being sent to a vendor in germany, the price wouldn't be $133. it would be $133 + 19% tax.

Correct, the expected 133$ price is without VAT. Pretty much all the prices you see around in this hobby exclude VAT because it's being shipped all around the world where different taxes are applied.

GMK sells to the vendor I run this set through at bulk price. The vendor then adds X amount to cover labor and of course a profit margin which ends up at a total of 133$. Then he sells to you without taxes, you'll pay them yourself at customs.

Yes, having imported quite a few keysets I can confirm it's 19%. But I can already tell you the vendor won't be declaring a lower value since that's illegal.

[...]

Scenario 1:
You buy the set from a german vendor for 133$ plus 19% VAT and 7$ shipping, you end up paying 165.27$

Scenario 2:
You buy the set from a american vendor for 133$, pay 19% import taxes and 20$ shipping, you end up paying 178.27$

[...]

Scenario 3: You live in Sweden and get royally ****ed. $133 for the set from an American vendor, ~$20 in shipping cost, between 0-20% import tax depending on the kind of product, in this case ~10%, on both keyset and shipping cost. Then you also have to pay 25% in VAT, on both the keyset, the shipping and the import fee. Additionally you have to pay a fee of ~$14 to the shipping company for their 'service' of filling out the import form for you. So in total ~$225.

Scenario 4: You live in Sweden and buy it from a German vendor. You pay $133 for the set, the 19% German VAT, maybe ~$10 shipping, and then no import tax, no extra Swedish VAT and no extra fee to the shipping company. In total ~$168.

That's $57 I, as a Swede, have to pay for no good reason. If I buy, say, three different GMK sets from the US instead of Germany, I've paid for a fourth set in taxes.

I do, however, get it. This is a niche hobby and the community is much larger in the US and it's cheaper for them to just buy it from a vendor in their own country when there is no German VAT applied, and therefore you get more people buying the set. But it would be nice with an EU-proxy, especially when you aren't running it through Massdrop. I mean, sure, $57 isn't that much money, but I can do more fun things with it instead of paying unnecessary taxes and import fees.

All in all it's a nice set, even though I like the SA version more. Good luck with the GB :)

Yeah, other countries can really suck and I'm very sorry for that, but the effort of creating a EU proxy for a single buy is quite high and usually not worth the effort. Hopefully we (the community) can find a solution for this. Maybe someone feels like starting a company to run regular EU proxy buys? Just like the asian proxy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 March 2017, 12:51:36 by Oblotzky »

Offline pitfermi

@ehmlis, that's ridiculous . 25% on the Shipping itself?! WTF who appliies fees on shipping anyway?
I am definitely interested in contributing to a europe proxy. am 24, still an e.e student but if there is a way i can help i will! It's sad that the company manufacturing this is next to me and i have to pay for all the costs for a set to travel around the world. And why is the european interest smaller than in the US? why isn't there an american version of GMK? :D
Regardless, I am still in no matter the taxes. OP has done a great job on the layout and it is by far my favorite :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 March 2017, 13:16:14 by pitfermi »

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
I'm a noob but I've put in a lot of hours looking at keysets online and I think this is my favourite. Glad I'm able to catch it on here. Will definitely be picking this up with the dark alphas. Stunning work!  :thumb:

Offline PlasticSporkz

Really looking forward to getting this set with the white alphas for one of my Leopold FC980M's.  Got my coiled cable today in preparation.
Ducky Shine 2, Poker II, Leopold FC980M x2. Cherry Blues

Offline Vigrith

What in tarnation, that sounds terribly backwards - I also live in the EU and I've never had to pay anything but VAT (on both shipping and the actual value of the item) and handling/storage fees when importing anything relating to any of my hobbies be it audio, mechanical keyboards or anything in between. For example when getting my WhiteFox, even from a large business such as Massdrop, I was required to pay 60€ extra, 53.5 of that being VAT, ergo the rest is basically negligible.

Swedish taxes are through the roof, as are ours, so paying 25% (23 in my case) can be very different from the German 19% if you're buying expensive items, not so much when one's buying a singular key set, however all the extra BS you have to deal with is a bit of a joke, one I was personally not even aware of. How are you meant to import ANYTHING that's costly with that system exactly? $150 key sets would be the least of one's problems, I suppose maybe that is the point of the whole ordeal, strongly dissuading people from buying anything that isn't local (or from within the EU).

Offline Dadrophenia

Thank you very much for adding an R3 and R4 Home and End  :thumb:

Offline electricsheep

Would it be possible to add R4 1.5u 'Code' keys for HHKB peeps who don't swap alt and command (default)?

Offline ironpup

• Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber
Any news on the vendor?

Offline Oblotzky

Offline cynviloq

Noooo it's back to R2 Delete for GMK? Does Backspace not fit?

Offline Oblotzky

Noooo it's back to R2 Delete for GMK? Does Backspace not fit?

Still waiting for confirmation here that they have the mold for 1.5u Backspace, I intend to use it if they have it.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Still waiting for confirmation here that they have the mold for 1.5u Backspace, I intend to use it if they have it.
If not, can you use the backspace arrow instead?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Oblotzky

That would be against the design philosophy of this set, which has only icons on the arrow keys but nowhere else.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects

That would be against the design philosophy of this set, which has only icons on the arrow keys but nowhere else.
Right. Let's hope for a text mold then.

Offline ironpup

• Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber
Not that it's as important as the R2 backspace, but did you also ask about the R4 1.25u Caps Lock for the control/caps lock switch crowd?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Are the base colors for the full gray version the same as for GMK Dolch?  Is it basically Dolch with alternative legend colors?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
Are the base colors for the full gray version the same as for GMK Dolch?  Is it basically Dolch with alternative legend colors?

I think the base color is the one from the carbon gmk modifiers. Very close to N9 on GMK, but not exactly.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Oblotzky

I think the base color is the one from the carbon gmk modifiers. Very close to N9 on GMK, but not exactly.

Correct, the modifier keys are the same as GMK Carbon, which is GQM from Signature Plastic's library. The gray alphas are SP's GD and will be custom mixed by GMK to match, the white alphas will be GMK's CP.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
GOT DAMN! Now THISSSS is a color scheme.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator

Correct, the modifier keys are the same as GMK Carbon, which is GQM from Signature Plastic's library. The gray alphas are SP's GD and will be custom mixed by GMK to match, the white alphas will be GMK's CP.

Sorry, before I spend half an hour looking up all of those colors--is the end result going to be lighter than Dolch or about the same?  From the renders, at least the alphas look lighter. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Skull_Angel

Interested! I'm leaning more towards white alphas right now.

Offline pitfermi

Interested! I'm leaning more towards white alphas right now.
Same here but one day ago i wanted the dark gray ones hahaha

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
sorry if this has already been asked - maybe i missed it, but do i have to buy two full sets in order to get both light and dark alphas?

Offline hpfalcon

sorry if this has already been asked - maybe i missed it, but do i have to buy two full sets in order to get both light and dark alphas?

yes (due to gmk moq and prices)
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 April 2017, 12:00:11 by hpfalcon »

Offline Oblotzky

Correct, splitting up the set into Alphas and Modifiers would have bumped the price by about 15-20 dollars per set and increased MOQ for Monochrome to 250, which is unlikely to be hit.

Offline kconfire

Looks good!
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic

Correct, splitting up the set into Alphas and Modifiers would have bumped the price by about 15-20 dollars per set and increased MOQ for Monochrome to 250, which is unlikely to be hit.

dang. maybe i could sell the modifiers from the second set to help cover the cost... its a bummer but i understand why this was done

Offline Oblotzky

dang. maybe i could sell the modifiers from the second set to help cover the cost... its a bummer but i understand why this was done

Thanks for understanding! I'm pretty sure it's going to be easy unless a lot of people do it. I've seen quite a few requests for mods only.

Offline DannyHuynh

I'll be interested in the mods only if you were ever decide to sell it  ;)

Offline PlasticSporkz

I think I'm going to have to get this set in GMK and SA.  This needs to drop already.  Im having to use some crappy ass keycaps right now.
Ducky Shine 2, Poker II, Leopold FC980M x2. Cherry Blues

Offline getf

• In Rod We Trust
Looks great. I am glad to see an option for uniform legend colors.

What sets will be needed to assemble a board like the one pictured? Would it be possible to give a rough estimation of cost at this point?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic

I'll be interested in the mods only if you were ever decide to sell it  ;)

definitely dude. i need to start culling out the duplicate (and some triplicate) GMK caps from the collection

Offline Oblotzky

Show Image

What sets will be needed to assemble a board like the one pictured? Would it be possible to give a rough estimation of cost at this point?

There are 2 base sets with white and gray alphas to chose from, and the Monochrome Modifier addon, so one base + one monochrome addon ~185$

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
definitely thinkin monochrome on that Luna Gray Mira

2rl4irl :cool:

e. pic by PhotoElectric

Offline getf

• In Rod We Trust

Show Image

There are 2 base sets with white and gray alphas to chose from, and the Monochrome Modifier addon, so one base + one monochrome addon ~185$

Thank you - looking forward to buying.

Offline joelfong

Looks great! I'm a bit undecided between the GMK and SA though. How much earlier would this GMK version ship compared to the SA?

Offline Oblotzky

Looks great! I'm a bit undecided between the GMK and SA though. How much earlier would this GMK version ship compared to the SA?

Around the time the SA GB launches I hope.

Offline joelfong

Thanks! Looking forward to both of them!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro

Wouldn't that make it really hard to get both?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline Oblotzky

How so?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro

How so?
Money bahahhahaha. How am I gonna afford every kit in both SA and GMK?! I'm gonna have to pick one or the other if I have to put down money for both at the same time :O

Offline Oblotzky

How so?
Money bahahhahaha. How am I gonna afford every kit in both SA and GMK?! I'm gonna have to pick one or the other if I have to put down money for both at the same time :O

Buy a couple more GMK's, flip for profit, jump on SA for free  :rolleyes:

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro

How so?

Buy a couple more GMK's, flip for profit, jump on SA for free  :rolleyes:
Nooooo, Oblotzky, please don't promote that kind of behavior. I would not flip your keysets. Ever.

Offline nsmechkb

There are many nice GMK sets appearing, but more and more I think this is the one I'll buy.

Offline Oblotzky

Hey guys, quick update

I'm sorry to say that we are delayed by 1-2 weeks, details regarding legends are being talked out with GMK and they'll be doing a render of the final product as a form of confirmation that everything is in order. But since they are behind on doing custom set renders we will have to wait a bit more for that to be done.

I have updated the my own kit renders on the first post, the base kit has received R3 1u Home and R4 1u End, a stepped capslock key with LED window and a blue R4 1u FN key in addition to the existing yellow one. Also, Enter has been changed to Return, Print instead of Prt Sc and 2line BackSpace for the 1.5u key.

This kit has been final for about a week now which GMK is working with (except for the incorrectly displayed spacebar colors in the base sets, those will be alpha color). The expected price is now 135 instead of 130 at MOQ 250 due to the addition of these 4 keys. I cannot say yet what the MOQ breakpoints will be, we should know more about that when the GB starts.

Sorry everyone, but at least its not Q3 2017 :P
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 April 2017, 01:30:31 by Oblotzky »

Offline ThatsFineThatOne

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion, coming in April, (12.04.2017 - Updated ETA)
« Reply #196 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 04:26:00 »
Thanks for the update!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #197 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 04:30:30 »
Any chance to have Backspace on one line?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 04:54:50 »

It looks too cramped IMO, also not sure if they even have that mold.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #199 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 05:05:26 »

It looks too cramped IMO, also not sure if they even have that mold.
Alright. Will work both ways for me. Thanks.