Author Topic: Cherry G80-5000 split ergo keyboard (Cherry MX brown)  (Read 6534 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Cherry G80-5000 split ergo keyboard (Cherry MX brown)
« on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 08:53:50 »
I finally give a proper review to a split ergonomic keyboard, which also happens to be a Cherry legend, the G80-5000! And for the first time, we have a look at MX brown :) . Hope you enjoy the video!

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: Cherry G80-5000 split ergo keyboard (Cherry MX brown)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 09:30:54 »
The numlock indicator is there because of the G80-5700, a numpad that was sold as an accessory to the G80-5000. Since it was designed to be paired with the 5000 keyboard, there are no indicators of any kind on the 5700 itself.

Not sure if it was worth noting but there are two versions - the original like you have with the function keys, and a newer one with two Windows GUI keys that have MX "Super Black" switches.

Also, I'm kind of surprised about your thoughts on the 5k switches. Vintage browns are among the best I've used except maybe vintage clears. Were your switches really scratchy? They're not supposed to be...I'll leave it at this, try a modern MX Brown keyboard, then go back and use the 5000...night and day :p. You could also try to look for an 1838HPU, same switches as the 5000 but a bit more solid and integrated numpad. The split PCB of the 5000 is supposed to make that board have better feeling though :rolleyes:

Either way, nice review, glad you at least got to try one
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 April 2017, 09:34:28 by jerue »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 13:03:36 »
The numlock indicator is there because of the G80-5700, a numpad that was sold as an accessory to the G80-5000. Since it was designed to be paired with the 5000 keyboard, there are no indicators of any kind on the 5700 itself.

Not sure if it was worth noting but there are two versions - the original like you have with the function keys, and a newer one with two Windows GUI keys that have MX "Super Black" switches.

Also, I'm kind of surprised about your thoughts on the 5k switches. Vintage browns are among the best I've used except maybe vintage clears. Were your switches really scratchy? They're not supposed to be...I'll leave it at this, try a modern MX Brown keyboard, then go back and use the 5000...night and day :p. You could also try to look for an 1838HPU, same switches as the 5000 but a bit more solid and integrated numpad. The split PCB of the 5000 is supposed to make that board have better feeling though :rolleyes:

Either way, nice review, glad you at least got to try one
They're not scratchy, scratchiness isn't MX brown's biggest problem IMO. Each type of Cherry switches has their own weaknesses IMO:

-Cherry linears; scratchy, badly weighted
-Cherry tactiles: not tactile at all
-Cherry clickies: not tactile enough, very bad clicky sound

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 16:58:30 »
Lovely review as usual. Very interesting keyboard.

I don't properly touch type either but I find these ergo boards to be a bit friendlier to my wrists.

Also this review has triggered some people on /r/mechanicalkeyboards lol

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 17:00:18 »
Love your videos  :thumb:

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 17:31:23 »

I don't properly touch type either but I find these ergo boards to be a bit friendlier to my wrists.

Haha really? What are they saying? xD

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 20:25:09 »

Two said you were just trolling to cause drama because you said you prefer some rubber domes. Some comments have been removed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/66ybse/after_watching_this_does_the_community_really/?st=j1u0fvk9&sh=429ebf09

It seems a lot of those comments got downvoted though, and generally people are agreeing that mx browns are indeed crap.

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 01:30:40 »
Thanks for the review chyros  :thumb: :thumb:
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 07:00:02 »

Two said you were just trolling to cause drama because you said you prefer some rubber domes. Some comments have been removed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/66ybse/after_watching_this_does_the_community_really/?st=j1u0fvk9&sh=429ebf09

It seems a lot of those comments got downvoted though, and generally people are agreeing that mx browns are indeed crap.
Hahaha that's quite funny actually xD .

There's some pretty astute observations in there, though.

Although it seems most people did pick up on this, I should add that I'm not saying a NORMAL rubber dome board is better than MX brown. It's still a mechanical keyboard, and therefore already a big improvement on basically anything you'll find in a modern office. But I've got some damn tasty rubber boards here that rise far above the norm, and I'd say those definitely feel better than MX brown in my opinion.

Offline Urbi

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 05:09:38 »

Is it possible that older Cherry linears (~2005-2006) are made differently? I have several G80-1800s and the newer ones feel horribly scratchy whereas the older ones feel very smooth.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 05:47:33 »

Is it possible that older Cherry linears (~2005-2006) are made differently? I have several G80-1800s and the newer ones feel horribly scratchy whereas the older ones feel very smooth.
Yes. Older switches are known to be much smoother. This is presumably due to degradation of the moulds, and possibly because of a change of plastics that occurred in the mid 90s.

Offline Urbi

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 06:19:22 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 11:37:16 »
I should note that 2005 is not considered vintage for smoothness.