Author Topic: [IC] Unnamed board, [Shroom60?] Revision 1  (Read 3459 times)

Offline SNReloaded

[IC] Unnamed board, [Shroom60?] Revision 1
« on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 23:15:45 »
Hello Everybody!

I am designing a board currently but I am unsure what to name it, and I wanted to see what users here thought of it.
167949-0
PCB-work-in-progress image: http://imgur.com/a/NNapN

I was thinking of calling it the Shroom60, but wanted to see what other users thought of that name, and the design of the keyboard overall.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

------------

Note: This keyboard is highly inspired by the Banana Split, by Arhipio
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 May 2017, 23:20:23 by SNReloaded »

Offline scwoopz

Re: [IC] Unnamed board, [Shroom60?] Revision 1
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 23:20:16 »
Have to say, keycap compatibility is going to be a nightmare, and the mods are... interesting, to say the least. Secondly, it is not a 60% board, but actually a 65%.

If you want a name, I was thinking that Trux65 would be a cool keyb name.

Is the stagger non-standard as well?
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 May 2017, 23:26:43 by scwoopz »
ortho or shmortho

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 23:36:37 »
Have to say, keycap compatibility is going to be a nightmare, and the mods are... interesting, to say the least. Secondly, it is not a 60% board, but actually a 65%.

I know that the keycap compatibility would not be the greatest, so either blanks or a mixed set would work fine.

This keyboard is 15u wide, and a standard 60% is 15u wide, so it is indeed a 60% keyboard! That was one of my major requirements when designing this board.

The stagger on the bottom row is .25u off, which according to multiple people that I have talked with is nothing that would be noticed in actual typing.

Perhaps the Trux60 would be good. What does Trux mean though?

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 23:17:49 »
Very interesting! I like the idea. Any names? One random idea:

Trux50

Just noticed this. Do you suggest Trux## for EVERY keyboard?

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 23:29:18 »

Trux50

😒
ortho or shmortho

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 23:30:41 »

Trux50

😒
I was just curious! No hard feelings, just if multiple people who don't have any connects use similar names, there could be some confusion.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 00:35:55 »
I really like the name you've chosen, though I'm not sure how it describes the board... Upon further consideration you may not want to use that name as it might give people the impression that the keys are mushy :p

One thing to keep in mind about key cap compatibility - it might be more of a nightmare than you might be thinking as there isn't currently a 6u mold for an SA profile space bar. So you're probably limiting the board to using DSA sets only. There is a SA set going on zfrontier that says is has a 6u space bar, but it could be a mistake. I think I read that Danger Zone offered a 6u space bar, but had to cancel it when SP said the mold didn't exist once the order was submitted (don't quote me on that though).

I'm interested in the stagger you've chosen. It looks kind of odd that the top and bottom rows are non-staggered, but the middle rows are staggered by 0.25u. I'd recommend either maintaining the stagger across each row for consistency (which would probably throw off your 15u target), or go fully ortholinear.

TG3 BL82, Cherry MX clears
Access IS 15x8 matrix layout, Cherry MX blacks

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 08:14:55 »
I really like the name you've chosen, though I'm not sure how it describes the board... Upon further consideration you may not want to use that name as it might give people the impression that the keys are mushy

One thing to keep in mind about key cap compatibility - it might be more of a nightmare than you might be thinking as there isn't currently a 6u mold for an SA profile space bar. So you're probably limiting the board to using DSA sets only. There is a SA set going on zfrontier that says is has a 6u space bar, but it could be a mistake. I think I read that Danger Zone offered a 6u space bar, but had to cancel it when SP said the mold didn't exist once the order was submitted (don't quote me on that though).

I'm interested in the stagger you've chosen. It looks kind of odd that the top and bottom rows are non-staggered, but the middle rows are staggered by 0.25u. I'd recommend either maintaining the stagger across each row for consistency (which would probably throw off your 15u target), or go fully ortholinear.
Is it the shroom part that makes you think it is mushy?

I would go with the DSA or XDA profile.

I like ortholinear, but I really tried not to use it because it is "easy" to do. I might do something about this once I am done working on a different project.

« Last Edit: Sat, 13 May 2017, 09:51:52 by SNReloaded »

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 17:51:14 »
Is it the shroom part that makes you think it is mushy?

Sorry, poor attempt at humour ;D

Good luck anyway :thumb:
TG3 BL82, Cherry MX clears
Access IS 15x8 matrix layout, Cherry MX blacks

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 18:39:02 »
Oh okay, thanks : p