Author Topic: tin/lead/copper vs tin/lead solder  (Read 2430 times)

Offline dodgeyhack

tin/lead/copper vs tin/lead solder
« on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 10:22:20 »
I got some Savbit 6 solder free with a recent iron purchase. It's a tin/lead/copper alloy but I can't find a reference for the exact composition. Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder) references Savbit 1, but the comments aren't that helpful. I was going to use 63/37. Would the tin/lead/copper stuff be just as good? How does it compare for soldering keyboard components?

Many thanks.

Offline Tactile

Re: tin/lead/copper vs tin/lead solder
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 13:46:42 »
The nice thing about 63/37 solder is that - how do I say this - it pops liquid and pops again to solid. 60/40 and other solders have a temperature range where they will soften and get pasty but won't flow. 63/37 was developed to reduce that intermediate temperature range and melt right to a liquid state. I'd say stick to 63/37 solder but try some different brands to try the different flux formulas from the various manufacturers. In my experience flux is more important than the solder, anyway. You can make a fine solder joint using even some crap, off-brand solder if you are using good flux.

Even among the major brands of solder they are all tin and lead. The only thing that differentiates them is the flux. Kester, for example, show solders with six different flux formulas on this page.

[EDIT]
All that talk about flux and I didn't say what I use.
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 July 2017, 13:55:56 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Applet

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 03:24:58 »
The solder will work perfectly fine for soldering keyboard components. As stated, good flux is also a big factor. I would use the solder one that came with the iron, then buy some major brand 63/37 or 60/40 solder.

Offline dodgeyhack

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 05:13:51 »
I was wondering whether to use a separate flux so you've answered two questions for me =)
Thanks for the detailed explanations, I appreciate it.