Author Topic: The Laser - 85 key ortholinear  (Read 3217 times)

Offline Sparkyman215

The Laser - 85 key ortholinear
« on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 20:37:44 »
Hey guys, I'm going to post some relevant garbage related to my first handwired project. 
First, here's the github repo where I have the qmk files and other information: https://github.com/sparkyman215/laser-kb 

Here's the photo buildlog: 
http://imgur.com/a/W4U97

Sample images to entice you :rolleyes:

Update August 3, 2017

I apologize if this post is formatted like ****, I don't post to forums often
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 August 2017, 17:34:07 by Sparkyman215 »

Offline GMatt

Re: The Laser - 85 key ortholinear
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 21:40:50 »
Looks nice! I really like the acrylic, I did mine in steel and it lacks colour in comparison.
I thought it was interesting that you did the columns with insulated wires but the rows with exposed diodes. I saw another example which did the same thing but those exposed diodes freaked me out too much with my metal plate and the short risk.

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 23:25:38 »
Nice job on the wiring so far (nice touch with the purple column wires). I take it you're going to wire in the controller (Teensy?) next?
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline harlw

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 23:27:42 »
Very cool. I dig.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Sparkyman215

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 12:02:11 »
Looks nice! I really like the acrylic, I did mine in steel and it lacks colour in comparison.
I thought it was interesting that you did the columns with insulated wires but the rows with exposed diodes. I saw another example which did the same thing but those exposed diodes freaked me out too much with my metal plate and the short risk.

Thanks! With diodes, I don't know if there's insulated diodes, and if I did have a steel plate bottom, I would definitely cover it with plastic / electrical tape to prevent shorts.
I just saw that you were the one who made the left handed keyboard, that thing is super cool! Also, I see what you mean about the diodes, your solution is really neat

Nice job on the wiring so far (nice touch with the purple column wires). I take it you're going to wire in the controller (Teensy?) next?

Thanks! And yeah, once I'm done with the diodes and column wires the Teensy is up next

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 12:39:43 »
I'm always impressed by hand-wired keyboards and yours is not exception, this looks great!

Offline Sparkyman215

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 20:50:49 »
Update August 3, 2017:
Soldered the next row of diodes and got my acrylics a day early!
Super happy with how the new bottom row turned out, it looks way better than the previous one. Also done with the acrylic layers, hopefully the usb layer I have is enough to fit through. Should be ;)
Here's some images (the main album is what I will keep updating for an eventual giant build log)

I'm always impressed by hand-wired keyboards and yours is not exception, this looks great!
Thanks! I'm super excited

Offline Sparkyman215

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 17:33:38 »
Finished! Wired everything up and am typing (slowly and with many errors) on it now.!

Go check out the imgur build log for all the pics!

http://imgur.com/a/W4U97

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 23:46:54 »
Congrats and nice job. Good project for cutting your teeth on soldering for the first time. Keep up the practice  :thumb:
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline Sparkyman215

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 00:28:18 »
Congrats and nice job. Good project for cutting your teeth on soldering for the first time. Keep up the practice  :thumb:

Thanks! It was quite the project and I can't wait to start another board and get some good looking wiring going