Author Topic: Split Spacebar Compaq  (Read 6330 times)

Offline trievalot

[SIGPIC]

Offline Mental Hobbit

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 04:52:59 »
This is a very nice rubber dome. Used to be my favorite keyboard for several years. Only downside: It's butt ugly.
Typing on blues.

Offline trievalot

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 04:58:17 »
interesting seller, feedback of 1, and 110 items listed to sell
[SIGPIC]

Offline Rajagra

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 07:33:08 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;162878
This is a very nice rubber dome. Used to be my favorite keyboard for several years. Only downside: It's butt ugly.

Harsh. I'd describe it as plain.

Now the futuristic* design of these probably deserves your description.

( * That is to say a 70's idea of futuristic.)

Offline Mental Hobbit

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 08:23:48 »
Quote from: Rajagra;162887
Harsh. I'd describe it as plain.

Pictures don't do it justice. You need to see it on your own desk to comprehend it's ugliness in full. Yours looks like it's pretty much the same - after someone stomped on it.
A Cherry G80-3000 is plain. The kind of plain tending towards ugliness, but still plain.
Typing on blues.

Offline trievalot

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 03:15:06 »
reminiscent of the Jetsons....

and G80-3000 is girl next door pretty.
[SIGPIC]

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 19:35:18 »
Funny, I have one of these keyboards with the split spacebar.  It came with our Compaq Presario 4764, and that computer has been in my family for 14 years.  Photos:

tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline EverythingIBM

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 19:46:10 »
Hmm.. I wish my model M had a split spacebar: since I hit it with my left thumb on the left side.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline trievalot

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 19:53:22 »
very nice.......do want
[SIGPIC]

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 19:56:47 »
You know what, I like my good old Compaq... it is better because it is mine!
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 20:05:22 »
Well, wasn't that M13 made during the same tme period?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 22:58:09 »
Quote from: webwit;163343
The M13 had the old retro Model M look. The M15 is more like the M2. Much better built quality though.

Well, the M15 was made by lexmark/IBM, NOT maxiswitch. Obviously a strange company named "maxiswitch" using cheap labour in mexico isn't going to produce good quality opposed to USA-made boards.

M13s are pieces of garbage: anyone who owns one and thinks it's "so great because it's black" better guess again: I wouldn't even buy one of those for "99 cents". They're not IBM! They're maxiswitch.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 16:54:45 »
Quote from: webwit;163343
The M13 had the old retro Model M look. The M15 is more like the M2. Much better built quality though.

Oops, I made a type-O there. My apologies.

The M13's are the ones with the trackpoint mice I remember.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 16:58:00 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;163356
Well, the M15 was made by lexmark/IBM, NOT maxiswitch. Obviously a strange company named "maxiswitch" using cheap labour in mexico isn't going to produce good quality opposed to USA-made boards.

M13s are pieces of garbage: anyone who owns one and thinks it's "so great because it's black" better guess again: I wouldn't even buy one of those for "99 cents". They're not IBM! They're maxiswitch.

What the hell are you smoking?

Ever use a Maxiswitch Model M? Didn't think so. You'd be hard pushed to find a difference. In fact, I'd rate them higher than the UK ones because at least Maxiswitch made the drainage channels right. I'd rate them higher than the Unicomp ones too because they have a proper Trackpoint. I'm sure if I had a Lexmark one it would be the same. And hey - Lexmark isn't IBM either lololololololololol.

Maxiswitch were a US company by the way. Sure they had a factory in Mexico, but hey, the internals of the Lexmark Model Ms probably came from China and were assembled in Kentucky. Whoop-di-doo, so much for US quality.

Well, wasn't that M13 made during the same tme period?

I've yet to see an M15 made in a year other than 94 or 95. I see no reason why there might not be a few 96 made ones around, but I haven't seen them.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 March 2010, 17:05:29 by ch_123 »

Offline EverythingIBM

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 17:21:39 »
Quote from: ch_123;163496
What the hell are you smoking?

Ever use a Maxiswitch Model M? Didn't think so. You'd be hard pushed to find a difference. In fact, I'd rate them higher than the UK ones because at least Maxiswitch made the drainage channels right. I'd rate them higher than the Unicomp ones too because they have a proper Trackpoint. I'm sure if I had a Lexmark one it would be the same. And hey - Lexmark isn't IBM either lololololololololol.

Maxiswitch were a US company by the way. Sure they had a factory in Mexico, but hey, the internals of the Lexmark Model Ms probably came from China and were assembled in Kentucky. Whoop-di-doo, so much for US quality.

Lexmark was an IBM division (maxiswitch wasn't). The UK ones had that annoying "european" layout with the funny enter key.

Personally, I don't think there is anything special with the M15s. People buy them because they're black.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 17:41:50 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;163508
Lexmark was an IBM division (maxiswitch wasn't).

Lexmark is independent from IBM, formed from when they divested their printer/keyboard/typewriter division. By your logic, Lenovo is an IBM division.

The UK ones had that annoying "european" layout with the funny enter key.

Oh boy, what are these?

Personally, I don't think there is anything special with the M15s. People buy them because they're black.

You've seen a black M15? Pics please.

Seriously, if you want to make outlandish statements about IBM keyboards around here, of all places on the internet, get your facts right.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 17:58:38 »
Where have I seen the colour of that building before...

Offline EverythingIBM

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 20:12:35 »
Quote from: ch_123;163514
Lexmark is independent from IBM, formed from when they divested their printer/keyboard/typewriter division. By your logic, Lenovo is an IBM division.

Oh boy, what are these?

You've seen a black M15? Pics please.

Seriously, if you want to make outlandish statements about IBM keyboards around here, of all places on the internet, get your facts right.

I was trying to say that the M15s had bad labels because they were made by maxiswitch. None of my IBM keyboards had labels that wear off, as ripster said, "looking at them". I think my IBM rubber domes have the best labels ever made. Better than the dye.
As for some of the UK model Ms, they have attached cords; I like the SDL cables. It's cool, because I can have both AT & PS/2.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 20:12:57 »
\
Quote from: webwit;163333
Should be on more keyboards. Pretty save improvement

By that do you mean a pretty "safe" improvement?
- Grammar police, semantic squad.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Rajagra

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 20:38:45 »
Quote from: webwit;163557
an elitist who gets off on correcting others'  grammar and spelling because it makes him feel superior.

Coming from someone who often makes good points in an unnecessarily strong tone, I sense a hint of irony there.

Keep up the good work.

Offline hyperlinked

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 23:00:43 »
Someone pooped again.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline hyperlinked

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 23:08:09 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;163320
Show Image

I'm fond of the Compaqs of that era.

My college installed one of those in the tiny Student Council office that I used and once it went in, I'd hide there between classes and work on my first websites made for the tiny legion of NCSA Mosaic users. Just seeing the Compaq red logo below the aqua blue default Windows 95 background brings back fond memories.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 02:59:24 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;163549
As for some of the UK model Ms, they have attached cords;

Oh boy, what are these?

Man, I could do this all night.

Offline EverythingIBM

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 11:39:11 »
Quote from: ch_123;163595
Oh boy, what are these?

Man, I could do this all night.

I said: "as for SOME of the UK model Ms", I do know that they used SDL, but the previous ones you linked to had attached cords, as far as I could see. IBM made many subtle variations of the Model M, but I just like the basic first version.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 12:23:35 »
So because you like the 1391401, the M13 is a piece of garbage. Thank you very much for sharing your profound insight with us all.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 March 2010, 12:27:55 by ch_123 »

Offline EverythingIBM

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 16:30:31 »
Quote from: ch_123;163728
So because you like the 1391401, the M13 is a piece of garbage. Thank you very much for sharing your profound insight with us all.

Mine's a 1390131 (1391401 doesn't have the extra supports in the spacebar and numpad enter if I'm not mistaken).

No, my point is that the M13 was made more cheaply (labels) due to maxiswitch, and, for the fact people mainly buy it because it's black. I find buying a keyboard for its colour rather dull. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you wanted it to match with your computer, but I find black a lot harder to see if I need to orientate my hands.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 16:38:36 »
There's also the Trackpoint. That's the reason I bought mine.

No, my point is that the M13 was made more cheaply (labels) due to maxiswitch

What do you mean by labels?

The only quality drop issue was to do with the keys, they wore easily, both in terms of the markings, and bits of plastic could come off them. But this was applicable to Lexmark made ones as well as Mexican ones.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 March 2010, 16:45:15 by ch_123 »

Offline EverythingIBM

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 16:49:34 »
Quote from: ch_123;163781
There's also the Trackpoint. That's the reason I bought mine.

Show Image

What do you mean by labels?

The only quality drop issue was to do with the keys, they wore easily, both in terms of the markings, and bits of plastic could come off them. But this was applicable to Lexmark made ones as well as Mexican ones.

Ask ripster about the labels, he has more experience with that than I do. I'm not going to buy one (unless I find one cheap) because, one Model M is enough (I got enough IBM keyboards to outlive me). So, I probably won't be able to observe it myself.

That would be very handy to have a trackpoint on a desktop keyboard as well, however, does the height of the keys actually affect typing? On my thinkpad I don't notice due to the slim keys.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 17:08:08 »
I think we have a new MW...

Quote from: EverythingIBM;163784
Ask ripster about the labels, he has more experience with that than I do.

You do realize that his conclusions are that there is no tangible difference between the various years and places of manufacture, right?

we Europeans had the REAL thing years longer.

We also had electrically grounded spacebars. **** yeah!

« Last Edit: Sat, 13 March 2010, 17:20:07 by ch_123 »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 17:20:03 »
Yes, absolutely, the TrackPoint interferes with typing on the M13. It takes some getting used to, and someone not willing to take that time before judging usability will probably give consistently poor reviews.

That said, I don't type properly anyway, so it's possible a proper touch typist would do fine. Who knows?
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 17:21:39 »
No issues here with either M13, M4-1, Endurapro or Thinkpad.

I can type though.

Offline EverythingIBM

Split Spacebar Compaq
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 20:00:06 »
Quote from: ch_123;163792
No issues here with either M13, M4-1, Endurapro or Thinkpad.

I can type though.

Well if the M-13 is like the thinkpad keyboard, it would be flawless for me. I don't notice the trackpoint on the thinkpad's keyboard (which is kind of weird, it's like it's not even there).