Author Topic: Need New Mouse  (Read 3792 times)

Offline CaptainKirk

Need New Mouse
« on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 04:23:26 »
I use a MS IntelliMouse Explorer 4. I have a few because every year or so, they seem to start failing. I like it because it's a BIG mouse and I have BIG hands, but I am not thrilled with it. I tried a Logitech® Trackman® Marble®, the kind with the ball on the top (as opposed to the side) and I made an effort to use it. It's supposed to be the best and I tried, but I couldn't get the hang of it. I didn't find it so comfortable.

So now I am looking for a new mouse, once again. I am looking now at the Evoluent Vertical Mouse as it looks interesting and has good reviews. I am in Israel and the variety of non-standard pointing devices is somewhat limited here, so I need to just mail order and try it. Not to mention that prices (for this mouse for example) are more than double than in the US.

For the sake of sharing, I also found this wacky little 3D pointing tool: Novint Falcon but doesn't look like it's for me.

Aside from the Evoluent Vertical Mouse this Smartfish ErgoMotion Mouse looks interesting and I am also interested in a Pen Mouse but the pen mice I see don't seem as advanced as the others and the reviews don't seem as good. But perhaps I haven't found a good one yet. :)

Anyhow, anyone have any thoughts on this?

Offline Half-Saint

Need New Mouse
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 04:37:52 »
Well I've mostly used Logitech mice so far. I currently use an MX510 and a G5 and I must say I really enjoy the shape (both are virtually the same shape). However, I prefer G5 over MX510 due to the rough texture and variable weight system.

Cheers
SainT

P.S. Hrm, when did I rack up 70 posts??!
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 March 2010, 04:41:15 by Half-Saint »
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline CaptainKirk

Need New Mouse
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 05:33:24 »
I bought a few months ago a Logitech. I think it was Logitech® Performance Mouse MX™ and I sent it back. It just didn't fit my hand. I move the mouse with my fingertips and nothing else touches the mouse and anyhow it was hard to press the buttons for me.

I decided then that I should go into a store and test my next mouse but for these 'alternative' mice I posted above, there's no store I can go to.

Offline Half-Saint

Need New Mouse
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 05:42:09 »
Not trying to teach you how to use the mouse or anything but I always thought that your whole hand is supposed to be 'resting' on the mouse itself, not just the fingertips. If you just used your fingers, how does size of the mouse come into play? Wouldn't smaller be better then? Just my 2 cents..
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline CaptainKirk

Need New Mouse
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 06:51:07 »
I have also read that, but I have also read that some users prefer just the fingers like me. What I do anyhow is have my thumb on the left side, three fingertips on top and then one little finger on the right side. Seems that I use the thumb/pinky opposition to grip and move the mouse. My wrist sits motionless on a Belkin WaveRest® Gel Mouse Pad

Some mouse usage advisors do suggest that resting the wrist like that isn't ideal, but it seems to work for me. It just feels a LOT lighter than moving my whole arm just to move the mouse...

Offline Half-Saint

Need New Mouse
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 07:24:36 »
Ah, I get it! After reading that, I realized I do that too but only with mice that are too small to hold comfortably :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline itlnstln

Need New Mouse
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 07:47:47 »
I am going to get one of the new Mad Catz mice when they come out.  They are fully adjustable (so there shouldn't be any problem with it fitting your hand) and they have all-metal construction (in the top 2 models).  Check the thread in this forum for more details.  One of the last posts has a link to a video tour.

Offline salcan

Need New Mouse
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 08:19:10 »
I haven't used the Evoluent but I have used the MS Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 which is sort of the same concept. I haven't have any issues with my mouse hand but I did appreciate the ergonomics of it. It takes some getting used to, but it's an OK mouse. It's on the large size too.

That said, MS still doesn't do a great scroll wheel, which is big for me. So I'm using the Logitech Performance Mouse MX mouse now and I definitely recommend it. The shape does take some getting used to (especially since I was  Razer user for a few years) but I think it's worth trying.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Need New Mouse
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 08:25:09 »
Going to recommend my usual favorite - the Steelseries Ikari.

What about trackballs?

Offline MsKeyboard

Need New Mouse
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 10:06:34 »
CaptainKirk,
If you haven't, you really should take a look at the link in Ripsters sig.  He did a great job of explaining the Contour mouse as well as the Evoluent.  The one concern about the Contour is that there are soooo many sizes, but you stated that your hands are "big", and that mouse can definitely be ordered BIG.

I use the Evoluent most of the time, and as that thread explains I really appreciate how natural holding this mouse is. You posted links to several different options, but because there is soo much variety in your choices it is kind of hard to help you clarify specifics.  I can tell you that mouse pens are popular, but typically for those traveling.

Good luck with your hunt, and keep us informed on your choice and how it works out for you!

Later............

Offline CaptainKirk

Need New Mouse
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 13:48:54 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;163162
CaptainKirk,
If you haven't, you really should take a look at the link in Ripsters sig.  He did a great job of explaining the Contour mouse as well as the Evoluent.  The one concern about the Contour is that there are soooo many sizes, but you stated that your hands are "big", and that mouse can definitely be ordered BIG.

Yes, that thread is great. Thanks, Ripster. I think I will order one now. :)

Quote from: MsKeyboard;163162

I use the Evoluent most of the time, and as that thread explains I really appreciate how natural holding this mouse is. You posted links to several different options, but because there is soo much variety in your choices it is kind of hard to help you clarify specifics.  I can tell you that mouse pens are popular, but typically for those traveling.

Yes, I was a bit vague. The pen-like pen ones look like they're for travel, yes, but there was at least one that I saw but lost the link that was more like the Evoluent, i.e. it stands up by itself and has a proper base, but the hold of the hand is more like a pen. THAT looked interesting but I can't find it now. :(

Thanks.

Offline stars1

Need New Mouse
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 23:28:02 »
http://www.ebay.com and http://www.Amazon.com have many beautiful mouse. You can use the title seach

Offline EverythingIBM

Need New Mouse
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 23:36:13 »
Nah, get a rare ancient sage scrollpoint pro:
http://store.memory4less.net/37l7317.html

You might need the big bucks though, and you might get a lenovo logo (Although I can't say for sure, since I have only seen stock photos of those things).
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Need New Mouse
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 01:26:07 »
Regarding odd mousing ergonomics:

While supervising a computer-based test for people with lower-than-typical computer use skills, I found someone using their mouse...backwards (that is, cord towards user). Intentionally. Claiming "it's the only way I can use it."

I didn't press the matter...some people can't be helped.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline hyperlinked

Need New Mouse
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 06:10:18 »
Quote from: kishy;165054
I found someone using their mouse...backwards (that is, cord towards user). Intentionally. Claiming "it's the only way I can use it.

Introduce that person to a game that uses an inverted Y axis controller. That person will be a natural or maybe it'll get said person to reinvert the mouse.

Some years ago I was programming for a hospital documentation system on Windows 3.1. I was using one of the hospital director's computer to do it. When I was done, I closed all the windows nice and tidy and turned the computer off. A few days later, I heard I was in trouble. There was some blowback because I broke the director's computer. She was furious.

I was completely puzzled. What the hell did I do to break the computer? Well, it turns out that she always left the My Computer window open and she couldn't find anything.

Even more humorous, she could have just called me and all would have been "fixed" in 5 minutes. 4 of those minutes would have been spent by me getting over the shock that someone intelligent couldn't figure out how to double click the My Computer icon. No... she instead issued her displeasure down through the chain of command until it filtered down to me that the director was pissed at me.

The drama! That's General Hospital, soap opera for ya.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Need New Mouse
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 10:48:28 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;165070
Introduce that person to a game that uses an inverted Y axis controller. That person will be a natural or maybe it'll get said person to reinvert the mouse.

Some years ago I was programming for a hospital documentation system on Windows 3.1. I was using one of the hospital director's computer to do it. When I was done, I closed all the windows nice and tidy and turned the computer off. A few days later, I heard I was in trouble. There was some blowback because I broke the director's computer. She was furious.

I was completely puzzled. What the hell did I do to break the computer? Well, it turns out that she always left the My Computer window open and she couldn't find anything.

Even more humorous, she could have just called me and all would have been "fixed" in 5 minutes. 4 of those minutes would have been spent by me getting over the shock that someone intelligent couldn't figure out how to double click the My Computer icon. No... she instead issued her displeasure down through the chain of command until it filtered down to me that the director was pissed at me.

The drama! That's General Hospital, soap opera for ya.

Quote from: kishy;165054
...some people can't be helped.

Some people REALLY can't be helped...oh dear. LOL.

Could probably make a startup script to open it for her.
Or better yet, open it ten thousand times.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Need New Mouse
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 21 March 2010, 03:23:44 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;165070
instead issued her displeasure down through the chain of command until it filtered down to me

Those kinds of people are the worst. I generally find myself doing the career-limiting move of telling the truth to such folks.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.