Author Topic: IBM 1997 beige mice  (Read 3096 times)

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM 1997 beige mice
« on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 23:21:18 »
I had one of these IBM beige mice, here's a picture taken from Kishy's site:

I was wondering the different models of them, which is the best, and so forth. I do know there are the darker grey button variations.

I used one like Kishy has above, and, here's the story behind it. It worked for a good few years, but then it developed a problem of randomly make the cursor jump everywhere chaotically. The strange thing is, the mouse would work for awhile, but after a few hours malfunction. I got mad and then proceeded to smash it, and threw it out. I wish I would have kept it to analyize...

Anyways, it would be great to get another one of these. I found them very easy to use; and I like how the IBM logo was engraved in.

I'm not sure the timeline of when IBM made these mice; I say mine was in '97 because that's how old the computer which came with it was.

EDIT: I also like them as a mechanical mouse. I'd still be using mine IF it didn't break. I hate changing equipment when it performs its job well.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 March 2010, 19:47:57 by EverythingIBM »
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
IBM 1997 beige mice
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 17:34:26 »
I'm gonna feel so bad when all these hotlinked images disappear because I change hosts...

Chances are each series of system that came with one would have a different FRU for the mouse, despite it being the same item exactly.

Logitech internals on these btw.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM 1997 beige mice
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 19:45:50 »
Quote from: kishy;163795
I'm gonna feel so bad when all these hotlinked images disappear because I change hosts...

Chances are each series of system that came with one would have a different FRU for the mouse, despite it being the same item exactly.

Logitech internals on these btw.

Mine didn't have the little arrow like yours on the PS/2 cord (it was either a mouse or an IBM logo), it WAS slightly different. I'm guessing you put in the logtech internals?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
IBM 1997 beige mice
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 19:48:18 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;163804
Mine didn't have the little arrow like yours on the PS/2 cord (it was either a mouse or an IBM logo), it WAS slightly different. I'm guessing you put in the logtech internals?

The plugs vary, it may have been a supplier thing.

And nope, the mouse was manufactured by Logitech, as are all pre-optical IBM mice that I know of except the original PS/2 mouse.
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM 1997 beige mice
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 19:57:41 »
Quote from: kishy;163805
The plugs vary, it may have been a supplier thing.

And nope, the mouse was manufactured by Logitech, as are all pre-optical IBM mice that I know of except the original PS/2 mouse.

I guess that explains why mine failed; although it was a good mouse while it still operated; I commend logitech! I hope to get another one soon (unless you want to donate me yours lol).

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
IBM 1997 beige mice
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 20:27:00 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;163807
I guess that explains why mine failed; although it was a good mouse while it still operated; I commend logitech! I hope to get another one soon (unless you want to donate me yours lol).

Heh, mine's in pretty rough shape. Ball door is glued shut. Ex-school unit.

I plan to include it with my PS/2 56SX if I ever grow the balls to sell it. I hate it but I can't let it out of my sight.
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM 1997 beige mice
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 21:52:28 »
Quote from: kishy;163812
Heh, mine's in pretty rough shape. Ball door is glued shut. Ex-school unit.

I plan to include it with my PS/2 56SX if I ever grow the balls to sell it. I hate it but I can't let it out of my sight.

A little knife can get it open! I can't believe they still melted mice shut back then. Our school used to do it too; I actually got a nice black IBM ball mouse which wasn't melted (it was used at the teacher's desk, and one of the teachers there was SLAMMING it, all it needed was a little cleaning, and it works like a charm -- have it for my thinkcenter).

Well I will be inheriting one of those mice with the "darker grey" two front buttons some day, however, it would be nice to have spares.

You HATE it?! I love those things. Great for playing age of empires 1.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM 1997 beige mice
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 04:42:07 »
You can play Age of Empires on a 386?

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM 1997 beige mice
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 15:36:29 »
Quote from: ch_123;163869
You can play Age of Empires on a 386?

I meant the mice :nerd: not the computers.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
IBM 1997 beige mice
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 15:56:10 »
Lol yes I meant I hate the PS/2 itself...as in the computer. Which in this case is actually a 486, but a rather crappy one.

But yet I can't seem to part with it.
It's like if the other PS/2 dies, then I have NO vintage computers...except that 286 laptop which doesn't work quite right.
kishy.ca

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
IBM 1997 beige mice
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 17:04:34 »
I wish I still had my 486 computer. On there, the flying toasters in the screen saver worked properly.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM 1997 beige mice
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 23:41:53 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;164006
I wish I still had my 486 computer. On there, the flying toasters in the screen saver worked properly.

The farthest I'll go is windows 98 (windows 95 is okay, but I like the 98 interface better).

The old apple OS was okay too because it resembled windows 98 so much! I think it was OS 8? But it couldn't play DOS games. BOOO!