Author Topic: [IC] 60% Keyboard Case made out of MARBLE : "FirstSlab60"! (06/27)  (Read 29477 times)

Offline MarbleKeeb

• Bring Marble to Keyboards
    • MarbleK Website
Re: [IC] 60% Keyboard Case made out of MARBLE : "FirstSlab60"! (06/27)
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 11:47:09 »
Following this prototype, I decided to made a few changes on how the PCB will be fixed to the marble.
I will use a aluminum plate glued to the marble.

I may not be understanding, but wouldn't this prevent the switches from being soldered into the PCB? Or would whoever is building the board glue the PCB and/or plate? What about if any modifications have to be made?

Following this prototype, I decided to made a few changes on how the PCB will be fixed to the marble.

I may not be understanding, but wouldn't this prevent the switches from being soldered into the PCB? Or would whoever is building the board glue the PCB and/or plate? What about if any modifications have to be made?

Different plate, not the switch plate. I think the idea is to glue a piece of aluminum to the bottom of the cavity in the marble to use as an attachment point for the standoffs that hold the actual switch plate in place

Splodeybaloney got the idea.
The FirstSlab60 will be a tray mount case, so the customized plate in steel (MOQ too high for alu) will be used to attach the standoff, as to drill in marble to put inserts is more complicated..
And the PCB will lay on these standoffs.
An image to help clarify all :
248713-0

definitely in the market for this, and the bigger bezels the better (IMO)!

I know that the estimated pricing is 200-300USD, but is there an estimate on the price of shipping to the States? With it being so heavy and a bit fragile, I imagine it can't be cheap...

It will probably be a package of around 3.5 kg shipped with DHL, so 40~45 USD of shipping, not too crazy :)

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 05:08:12 »
Ok here me out. This might sound like too much, but if you guys were to do a traditional full-size, or an 80% TKL/WKL, with a separate numpad perhaps, I would smash the GB form/process so hard. A marble keyboard would be absolutely tremendous.

Offline VagueOrigin

Ok here me out. This might sound like too much, but if you guys were to do a traditional full-size, or an 80% TKL/WKL, with a separate numpad perhaps, I would smash the GB form/process so hard. A marble keyboard would be absolutely tremendous.
Lol yikes... hope someone will acquiesce to you, but geez that'll be a heavy beast.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline CustomerSupport

• webdev
    • Discord
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 13:44:48 »

Different plate, not the switch plate. I think the idea is to glue a piece of aluminum to the bottom of the cavity in the marble to use as an attachment point for the standoffs that hold the actual switch plate in place

Splodeybaloney got the idea.
The FirstSlab60 will be a tray mount case, so the customized plate in steel (MOQ too high for alu) will be used to attach the standoff, as to drill in marble to put inserts is more complicated..
And the PCB will lay on these standoffs.

Ahh that does make more sense. Thanks!

Offline Anthixious

Lol yikes... hope someone will acquiesce to you, but geez that'll be a heavy beast.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It'll for sure be a beast, but it'll be so worth it, because how many made-from-marble keyboards do you know of? ;) plus it'll be a typing experience unlike any other. Only thing that should break is the PCB and MAYBE the switches if I live that long lol.