Author Topic: Help choose a keyboard (and solve a dilimma)  (Read 2013 times)

Offline soloz2

Help choose a keyboard (and solve a dilimma)
« on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 09:38:10 »
Alright, I need to get my wife a new keyboard, but she's being extremely picky and I'm almost at a loss...

Keyboards I have on hand:
cheap logitech 104 key
Unicomp MM
Saitek Eclipse II
Filco Okatu tenkeyless (brown switches)

She has been using the cheap logitech for the last 10 months, but the keys started to stick and since she's currently writing papers for her masters she needs a new one.  I put the MM on her computer, but she doesn't like a few things about it: it's smaller than standard size, it's tilted up too high, and it lacks the numpad (10key).

The eclipse II will not fit on her keyboard drawer with her mouse so that's a no go.  She did use an Eclipse II a few years ago and had no problems with it, but she had a different desk at that point and the size was a non-issue. This also means that I need to get her a standard layout, full size keyboard with a slim bezel so her mouse fits.

She doesn't like my Filco because: it cost too much, doesn't have the num pad, doesn't have labels on the keys and is apparently too loud.

Which brings me to my dilemma.  I want to get her a good keyboard that will last longer than 10 months (10 years would be nice) but that would mean mechanical, and if she thinks brown switches are too loud then blues, whites etc are all out.  Maybe blacks, but they won't be as nice to type on and since she only types, no (very little) gaming and no FPS.

Requirements:
standard size & layout 104 keyboard (no oversized bezel like the eclipse or most other gaming boards)
non-clicky keys
excellent for typing
long lasting (I want at least a few years out of this)
adjustable height/tilt that starts out almost flat
scissor switches or mechanical (need to figure out what would be good?)
$<120 shipped/taxes etc. (less is better)

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 09:53:33 »
Generally I'd recommend a good rubber dome. Keytronics allegedly are about the best, long-lasting and affordable. Dunno about the form factor though. If the eclipse (which looks standard size to me) is too big, and a tenkeyless is too tenkeyless, then I'm lost too.
Scissor switches are short lived. Mechanicals don't get any more silent than your Filco with browns, which is too loud for her. Maybe you'll have to go for a new wife.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 March 2010, 09:57:15 by Mental Hobbit »
Typing on blues.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 09:57:43 »
I can think of cheap keyboards that are quiet, cheap keyboards that are pleasant to type on and quiet keyboards that are pleasant to type on. All three? 'fraid not.

Keytronic could be a sound choice there. If the Browns are too loud, then the only good keyboard quieter than that is the Topre which are very expensive.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 March 2010, 10:06:28 by ch_123 »

Offline soloz2

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 10:04:51 »
the saitek eclipse II would fit, but the oversized corners make it lok almost like a dog bone and makes the keyboard about 2" longer/wider than it needs to be. Otherwise it would fit.  I'll look at the Keytronic boards.  Any specific ones to avoid?

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 10:27:35 »
Quote from: ch_123;163899
I can think of cheap keyboards that are quiet, cheap keyboards that are pleasant to type on and quiet keyboards that are pleasant to type on. All three? 'fraid not.

A variation on the software quality triangle.... funny stuff.

Anyone know if Unicomp's rubber dome versions of their clicky keyboards any good?

I have a rubber domed keyboard from Matias that I liked a lot. It eventually broke down and while it didn't really feel that bad by the time I retired it, my hands have been through so much typing that even the mild stiffening caused me problems.

I haven't tried any of their other rubber domes, but I'd assume that they're similar in quality.

I don't think the form factor of a Matias USB 2.0 keyboard would make her happy though. It looks slightly wider than a compact 104-key.

I'm really fond of the feel of a Kensington Comfort Type. It is the springiest rubber dome that I've ever touched and probably the best rubber dome overall that I've touched. Unfortunately, the one I have has a slight ghosting problem and I don't know if it's the keyboard itself that's the problem or the PS/2 to USB adapter. I have the PS/2 version of the keyboard and it appears that it's been replaced by a straight USB wired version. Mine also came from really old stock. It's only $15 so it's not a huge risk to take.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 March 2010, 10:30:10 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 10:53:08 »
There are people who appreciate mechanical switch boards, and those who will never appreciate them.  Unfortunately, your wife is one who will never appreciate them.  If the cherry brown is "too loud" and "too expensive" the only other thing that might be less loud is the Datacal G80-3000.  But to try this would be throwing money down the drain, because she may not like it.  It's a great board, it's a little big in size, and it's a little quieter than your cherry brown otaku.  Check my sig for the size.  It's quieter by the fact it is uses PCB mounted cherry brown switches.

You can try the MX11800 for cheap, but she will probably not like the layout of it.

My advice is to forget about getting your wife a mechanical switch keyboard, just get her this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126013&cm_re=logitech_keyboard_250-_-23-126-013-_-Product
Logitech deluxe 250.  One of the best "uncrappy dome" keyboards I have used.

I got my wife the filco 104 Pink cherry blue board, she loves the clickyness of it, loves the pinkness of it.  Again, there are those who will never appreciate mechanical switch keyboards, and those who will.
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline soloz2

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 10:59:17 »
lol,  she dislikes pretty much every apple... I'm surprised she uses her touch as much as she does!  Aside from my iPhone and her iTouch we're a strictly PC family :D

I honestly think that if she could get over the price of the Filco with browns she'd really like it, but I'm not going to push too hard since I just got her a laptop and need to have some work done on my car so really the less $$ I spend the better.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 12:57:27 »
The Logitech Illuminated keyboard might be worth looking at. The PerfectStroke keys are very quiet like other scissor switches, but longer travel (3.2mm) than laptop boards. No idea about durability though.