Author Topic: Topre Realforce 23U = or Equals Key also DIP switch 4  (Read 3570 times)

Offline WheresTheSNES

Topre Realforce 23U = or Equals Key also DIP switch 4
« on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 17:21:53 »
Just got a Realforce 23U Numpad and the = button behaves very strangely.  If I hold it down, it only sends the '=' character once, vs any other key you hold it down and it will spam the key.  Also, on my work computer (Windows 10) when I use the = key in the calculator app, it crashes the app.  Note on my windows 10 computer at home it does not crash the calculator app, but it does only send one '=' character despite holding down the key.  Perhaps the creator's update or whatever is the difference between the two.

Very weird, I'm wondering what codes it is sending to the computer, and why they would design it this way.  Luckily it's not a huge problem because the Enter key also registers as an '=' in the calculator app.  I also tried it with a friend's Realforce 23U and it behaves the same way so it's not unique to mine.

Sidenote, anyone know what DIP switch 4 is supposed to do?
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2017, 17:24:10 by WheresTheSNES »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: Topre Realforce 23U = or Equals Key also DIP switch 4
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 22:10:48 »
Strange.  Can you try it on a linux livecd or mac and see if it does the same?  Maybe even win7 if available.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 21:16:26 »
Realforce 23U DIP-switch Settings

Important! The 23U should be unplugged while changing the DIP switch settings; otherwise the changes may not be recognized.

DIP Switch   SW OFF    SW ON
SW1   Tab = Tab, BS = BS, Shift = Shift, "=" = "="   Tab = Cut, BS = Copy, Shift = Paste, "=" = BS
SW2   00 = 00   00 = 000
SW3   Numlock Enable   Numlock Disable1
SW4   Normal Mode   Setup Mode (Factory use only)

1 When Numlock is disabled the secondary numberpad functions like Page Up, Page down, and arrows are disabled, in effect making Numlock enabled at all times whether the Numlock LED is on or off.

Offline WheresTheSNES

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 09:15:02 »
Thanks SpamRay!  I was like, what's NOT normal mode?

SamirD, I'll try that out on my mac and report back.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 11:18:38 »
Thanks SpamRay!  I was like, what's NOT normal mode?

SamirD, I'll try that out on my mac and report back.
That mode will probably allow certain key combinations to test and/or modify how it functions.  I wouldn't mess with it unless you know what you're doing.

I hope it works on the mac without the odd behavior.  Then it would just be a windows quirk/bug.

Offline WheresTheSNES

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 17:35:57 »
Yeah I'm not going to mess with DIP 4 without some research.

This thing goes completely bonkers on MacOS.  It kicks it off by reversing the numlock function (on means off, off means on), which also happened with my leopold FC210TP so I think that's an OS thing.  The equals button puts out '16'.  None of the number keys will put out multiple characters when I hold then down.  If i take off numlock and press any button, numlock is no longer able to be turned on or off and I can't get any inputs from the numpad without unplugging it and replugging it. 

Long story short, this is what they mean by not mac compatible.  Oh well, it's not like I have any other Topre numpad options.  It works with my Win 10 partition in BootCamp without freezing the calc app, but it does not put out more than one '=' character when I hold it down. 

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 12:18:59 »
I think you should contact Realforce about it.  The crashing definitely doesn't sound right in windows and the non-repeating character really doesn't jive.  Maybe they can explain it a bit better.

And I'm highly interested in the outcome because I was thinking about getting a numpad like this sometime down the road.

Offline Mazian

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 19:30:04 »
The equals button puts out '16'.

16, or 61?  I've used a numpad that sent a Windows-style alt code sequence for its = key: alt down, numpad 6, numpad 1, alt up.  It also didn't have key repeat on that key.