Author Topic: [IC] GMK Space Cadet  (Read 35040 times)

CQ_Cumbers, metalliccharles and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Giorgio

Re: [IC] GMK Space Cadet
« Reply #550 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:21:47 »
I can't even be bothered to type how that doesn't even make sense.

And no, despite the fact that yes most people wouldn't care about the arrows, there are certainly more people that want correct APL legends than there are fans of VIM.

Whoa there, there are lots of vim users out there.  But actual vim users don't need special keycaps to know where the cursor keys are...

(That aside I still don't know why people call them vim keycaps, it should really be vi keycaps.  There is nothing vim-specific about it, and if anything vim users are more likely to be using standard arrow keys.  Old versions of vi didn't even support arrow keys and you had to hjkl.  Yet we call them vim keys for some reason?  It's weird...)

I don't need no printed arrows, it's simply that you with this set, you know that you have the wrong arrows printed in your keycaps. That's the autistically annoying pressing fact.

Online Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #551 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:26:43 »
VIM is cool I guess, but I definitely am not buying [what is supposed to be] a historical reproduction with VIM keys. Also shouldn't we call Red Cadet, Space Comrade?

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Oblotzky

• Buy more Round 7.
    • Get yours here!
« Reply #552 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:28:11 »

And no, despite the fact that yes most people wouldn't care about the arrows, there are certainly more people that want correct APL legends than there are fans of VIM.

Whoa there, there are lots of vim users out there.  But actual vim users don't need special keycaps to know where the cursor keys are...

(That aside I still don't know why people call them vim keycaps, it should really be vi keycaps.  There is nothing vim-specific about it, and if anything vim users are more likely to be using standard arrow keys.  Old versions of vi didn't even support arrow keys and you had to hjkl.  Yet we call them vim keys for some reason?  It's weird...)

I don't need no printed arrows, it's simply that you with this set, you know that you have the wrong arrows printed in your keycaps. That's the autistically annoying pressing fact.

It's only wrong if it is supposed to be VI(M)
Skog | Skog | Skog | Mira | C225 | M65 | Canoe | Canoe | Lightsaver V3 | TX-CP

Online romevi

• Crash Man
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #553 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:29:52 »
Although I'm a newish Vim user, I don't need printed keys to show me where the arrow binds are. If anything, I could use a whole keyset to show me where the other binds are! The more I use Vim, the more I realize how the keys are just for aesthetic purposes; all you need is to know where J is, and that's provided by the homing key.

VIM is cool I guess, but I definitely am not buying [what is supposed to be] a historical reproduction with VIM keys. Also shouldn't we call Red Cadet, Space Comrade?

Show Image

No, it should be Space Kadet!

Online Giorgio

« Reply #554 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:40:27 »
I vote for Space Vimmer

Online Kevadu

« Reply #555 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 11:01:18 »

I could be wrong, but the guy who originally started producing the Vim caps calls them that: https://vimcaps.com/.
Ever since, they've been called Vim key/caps.

Also, why would Vim users use standard arrow keys? I thought Vim was just Vi improved--no more, no less.

You certainly can still use hjkl in vim, but it's not always optimal.  The big problem should be obvious: if you're in input mode hitting hjkl will type 'hjkl'.  Meaning that traditionally you have to constantly switch modes even to just move the cursor around and edit things.  With vim you have full arrow key support so you can move the cursor around without leaving input mode.  Again it's not like you can't use hjkl but I associate that more with vi than vim.  Arrow keys are handy...

Online Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #556 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 11:07:09 »
I've never paid much attention to vim because I prefer emacs/nano/ped, but I thought the whole point of vi/m was to reduce the number of keystrokes and movement of your hands?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Online romevi

• Crash Man
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #557 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 11:23:40 »
I've never paid much attention to vim because I prefer emacs/nano/ped, but I thought the whole point of vi/m was to reduce the number of keystrokes and movement of your hands?

Just download and use Spacemacs and use Evil mode (or use Evil mode in Emacs) and you'll find out!

Online zslane

« Reply #558 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 11:56:42 »
If I'm not mistaken, Vimkey support is typically added as a separate kit (if it is added to a set at all), right? The same could be done for GMK Space Cadet, though I doubt it would hit MOQ. In any event, it makes zero sense to me to destroy the canonical Space Cadet legend arrangement in the base kit just to satisfy a handful of vi users.

Online Vigrith

« Reply #559 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 12:41:36 »
Adding VIM to this set is comical, to put it mildly. If it's a separate kit obviously I have nothing against its addition but in the base kit it's not happening.