Author Topic: [IC] the Heavy-6: a Norbauer housing for the Leopold FC660C  (Read 79970 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
[IC] the Heavy-6: a Norbauer housing for the Leopold FC660C
« on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:29:13 »

After repeated (friendly) requests from friends in the community, I'm working on an after-market housing for the Leopold FC660C keyboard, a sub-TKL board that enjoys the use of Topre switches. My primary design objective (i.e., fun) on this one has been to accentuate the compact nature of the board to make it feel formidable—aka heavy AF. More on that below.

First, let me just say: if you're down, please fill out my two-question survey to indicate your interest.

I have been prototyping for several weeks in SLA, but I just finished my first functional prototype in metal, and I'm quite happy with it. As such, I thought now might be a good time to share some images and getting feedback.

Please note that the images below are of an unfinished raw aluminum and brass prototype—no anodizing, powder coating, etc.—but they should at least give a good sense of the shape and design.

Design features:

• The Heavy-6 has a native slope angle that matches that of the FC660C (without its flip-out feet deployed).
  • All units will come with a brushed brass (or PVD-coated, TBD) back plate, which roughly doubles the weight of the housing.
  • An unusual contoured profile along the side, a riff on what I did with the popular Norbaforce design.
  • Custom-molded rubber feet that maximize surface area for a nice grip, again based on positive feedback I've gotten on the Norbaforce design.
  • The sub-PCB sits on standoffs screwed into the rear cover. This is Hasu-controller compatible.
  • At the suggestion of Olivia and others, I've decided to add a logo badge for the first time. This will be metal and enamel and centered on the rear of the case. I'm still working on the design and sourcing of this but will post renders/photos when I have a better sense of the approach. See below for a preliminary notion.

Things that, in my opinion, don't really make sense, so no need to suggest them. :p
  • Centered USB port (internal cable won't reach)
  • USB-C

Tentative Finishes (in ascending order of cash-dollars):

Pricing: I won't know until I have a sense of the quantities and final finishes. Should be similar to stuff I've done in the past, depending on how much the brass rear plate drives up the cost. But, just so nobody is disappointed, let's tentatively go with "expensive."  ;D

Again, please fill out the survey if interested, and any/all feedback and criticism are welcome below. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 October 2018, 12:33:08 by norbauer »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] the Heavy-6: a Norbauer housing for the Leopold FC660C
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:30:23 »
It's so tall :'(

Good work though Norb, excited to see this progress :thumb:

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:30:26 »
Gonna have to buy another 660C.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:34:05 »
Thanks for the kind words, xondat! Much appreciated from a fellow maker. :)

It's so tall

Totally. Partly this is the "brick" aesthetic I'm going for, but also just some of the design constraints of reverse engineering this particular design. The whole sub-PCB thing is kind of weird and annoying to work around. So I decided to embrace it and make it part of the singular aesthetic vision of the case. The obstacle is the way, as the Stoics say. :cool:

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:40:18 »
I will do unholy things to get this in my hands.

I will do even more unholy things to get risers that bring the angle up to the fc660c with it's feet out.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:44:10 »
I'm in, the only thing I am curious about is having the option for feet / raised angle.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:47:34 »
I'm in, the only thing I am curious about is having the option for feet / raised angle.

I will do unholy things to get this in my hands.

I will do even more unholy things to get risers that bring the angle up to the fc660c with it's feet out.

That option is definitely on the table, and that's why I have the survey. :) It just usually adds a lot to the cost (slightly surprisingly), so I wanted to see how many people require it. I would likely make contoured, low-profile risers similar to like I did for the Norbaforce.

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:50:58 »
I think if the height is good, which it looks a littler taller, :thumb: the default angle would work for me. I like the default angle but sometimes if I need to have the board higher depending on surface, I use the legs.

Offline avid

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:57:11 »
Looks great! Only thing i worry about is the height as well.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:00:21 »
Survey filled out! :thumb: I'm sure this is gonna be expensive but I like the "no cut corners" approach you have with your cases. Count me in for one fore sure! :)

Edit: I'm for extra risers as well, even if they are something that has to be permanently installed. I definitely grown very accustom to the height of my 660C & M with their feet extended.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:02:20 by Rob27shred »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:02:26 »
Great job Ryan, the design is much to my preference and I'm one of those who've been asking for a 660 case for over a year so I'm incredibly pleased with how it turned out.

My one request is that Venice Beach makes a come back, though if you allow for custom powdered options I guess I can just get that done regardless of whether or not you offer it as standard.

Very exciting!

PS: Glad to see your logo included.

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:23:13 »
Looks good! Filled out survey. I don’t use the feet but wouldn’t be opposed if they were removable.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:26:50 »
Anyone requested anything for the FC980 series?? Because that's my jam.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:33:25 »
Anyone requested anything for the FC980 series?? Because that's my jam.

I quite like it myself, but it's a pretty big one to make a CNC case for. The cost of CNC housings tend to grow non-linearly with size, so I often hesitate about those. Perhaps at some point though. I really should draw one up and just get some quotes.

Offline olivia

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:39:13 »
I love the icon badge design Ryan!! For whatever reason the design makes me want to color match with a Hermes typewriter  :))

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:39:19 »
Not a fan of visible logos.

Your logo is the design. It is instantly recognizable. Let the design be your signature.

A regular atelier wouldn't put their logo on the back of a nice suit. For those that care about labels, they place it tastefully on the inside of the blazer, like the approach you took with the Norbaforce.

The purpose of logos is for people to show off a brand - the intersection of conspicuous consumption and marketing. This item goes in your house - who are you showing off the brand to? Do you really need to be reminded that Norbauer made this case? Worse is that the logo design has multiple colors that detract from the asthetic. It reminds me of the colors and shape of the old Osprey logo on backpacks. Osprey finally decided to simplify their logo to a white logo because the original oval colored logo really clashed with several of the color options they offered and just looked dated.

If I was forced to live with a logo or branding on my keyboard I think the best solution was the Evil80 group buy, where users could create their own logo and have it machined and anodized in the color of their choice, both on the front and the bottom. In my case, I just left the logo blank.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:45:39 by Wetherbee »

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:40:41 »
Speaking of cost how much should we expect this to be roughly? I need to know how much I need to save/sell.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:49:46 »

Your logo is the design. It is instantly recognizable. Let the design be your signature.

A regular atelier wouldn't put their logo on the back of a nice suit. For those that care about labels, they place it tastefully on the inside of the blazer, like the approach you took with the Norbaforce.

The purpose of logos is for people to show off a brand - the intersection of conspicuous consumption and marketing. This item goes in your house - who are you showing off the brand to? Do you really need to be reminded that Norbauer made this case? Worse is that the logo design has multiple colors that detract from the asthetic. It reminds me of the colors and shape of the old Osprey logo on backpacks. Osprey finally decided to simplify their logo to a white logo because the original oval colored logo really clashed with several of the color options they offered and just looked dated.

If I was forced to live with a logo or branding on my keyboard I think the best solution was the Evil80 group buy, where users could create their own logo and have it machined and anodized in the color of their choice, both on the front and the bottom. In my case, I just left the logo blank.

I understand the sentiment, and I do agree that Norbauer doesn't need branding for people to know the case is of his design - however, I think the way it is incorporated here is quite tasteful and the logo itself is pretty cool. I can see why people wouldn't like it but I also think it's fairly inoffensively placed where it is.

Keyboards aren't suits and to me this adds to the design rather than taking away from it, not necessarily as a branding statement or "show off" but just as an addon.

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:50:16 »
Here we go again!

Survey done,
and as before:
EU proxy, please  :thumb:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:11:19 »

I understand the sentiment, and I do agree that Norbauer doesn't need branding for people to know the case is of his design - however, I think the way it is incorporated here is quite tasteful and the logo itself is pretty cool. I can see why people wouldn't like it but I also think it's fairly inoffensively placed where it is.

Keyboards aren't suits and to me this adds to the design rather than taking away from it, not necessarily as a branding statement or "show off" but just as an addon.

Yes, this is pretty much the rationale. I'm already on the record as kind of hating conspicuous branding and wanting to avoid it on my stuff, but I've been surprised by how many people have expressly asked me to add some kind of "maker's mark," and this is my small gesture in that direction. I personally love the branding on a certain narrow set of things (Schoolhouse Electric lamps and clocks, Leica cameras, Montblanc pens and leather goods) and hate it on others (clothing, and pretty much everything else). I think it really just depends on the execution, my feelings about and sense of personal connection to the company/maker, and how visually obtrusive it is.

I mean, if for some odd reason people want to show that their case is something that came from me, well, I'm flattered and don't mind obliging, but I do want to keep it unobtrusive, so my requirements are: a) it be visually subtle and 2) actually add to the aesthetic properties of the object. I happen to love enamel-and-metal badges, though, and I think I could do something cool with it. But don't worry: if I can't find a way to pull it off nicely, I'll just leave it blank. As I see it now, the enamel color will vary based on which finish you select and should be complementary to that finish.

Re Wetherbee's point about home use, a lot of people actually use their keyboards in workplaces and view it as one of the few ways of adding something unique to their space, so a bit of signaling is actually a (perhaps guilty) part of the pleasure for some people. Anyway, let's not pretend that this hobby isn't at some level about a form of conspicuous consumption, even if we're just making it conspicuous to ourselves and our private aesthetic/tactile enthusiasms. ;) These are inherently fanciful objects.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:18:20 by norbauer »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:12:12 »
EU proxy, please  :thumb:

Looks like we've got a process worked out for that now and, assuming all goes well with the Norbaforces, I don't see why not.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:26:40 »
Have you considered sharper bezels on the corners instead of the rounded cone shape? I think sharper ones would be more in line with the whole 'brick' idea.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:28:44 »
Have you considered sharper bezels on the corners instead of the rounded cone shape? I think sharper ones would be more in line with the whole 'brick' idea.

Well, I guess "brick" per se isn't exactly what I'm going for, otherwise I might have done for sharp edges rather than chamfers entirely. "Hefty and industrial" might be a better way of putting it. :rolleyes:

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:33:06 »

Well, I guess "brick" per se isn't exactly what I'm going for, otherwise I might have done for sharp edges rather than chamfers entirely. "Hefty and industrial" might be a better way of putting it. :rolleyes:
That's fair; my opinion, with a few grains of salt, is in favor of sharper bezels, but the current design still looks great.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:34:32 »

That's fair; my opinion, with a few grains of salt, is in favor of sharper bezels, but the current design still looks great.

I like those too, and in fact would like to do a 90-degree angle bezel on a case at some point. I just didn't feel that it worked well for this design due to the inherent slope.

Offline pendemon

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 19:21:01 »
I love the name.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 19:27:40 »

I like those too, and in fact would like to do a 90-degree angle bezel on a case at some point. I just didn't feel that it worked well for this design due to the inherent slope.

While on the topic of case design is there any chance of having the capacitance equation on the front similar to the stock case?

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 19:32:45 »
can I ask why you don't like the idea of USB C compatibility? I ask because I am trying to slowly shift over to USB-C one standard to rule them all. I love the prototype and would love for it to have and perhaps even include one of the Hasu controllers? Are a controller of your own design? either would be nice.

Offline ArdentHandsaw

• When the wind is southerly
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 19:48:54 »
Very excited about this! Two questions: how much higher does this put the keys than the stock enclosure, and will there be a cut out in the back plate to allow access to the DIP switches (stock controller) or reset button (hasu controller)?
hasu'd FC660C | Tada68 | MF68 | M10-A

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 19:52:43 »
can I ask why you don't like the idea of USB C compatibility? I ask because I am trying to slowly shift over to USB-C one standard to rule them all. I love the prototype and would love for it to have and perhaps even include one of the Hasu controllers? Are a controller of your own design? either would be nice.
None of the daughter boards available for the fc660c have a USB-C connector and I very highly doubt that hasu would change his connector of choice at this point.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 20:15:51 »
To be honest I was looking forward to something similar to your past designs: Boxy refrigerator with a flat surface. I did not expect this Fjell-like chamfered edges.

Any particular reason why you went with this design?

Also, funny thought: Anyone else use their FC660C as a travel board? This case is gonna change the whole dynamic of my keyboard line-up 🙂

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 20:22:05 »
Is this compatible with the FC660M as well? I kind of want to use this case with a clueboard pcb and alps :)

Offline regionfree

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 20:22:28 »
WHEN WILL THE SPENDING STOP!?

survey done :D

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 20:43:45 »
Is this compatible with the FC660M as well? I kind of want to use this case with a clueboard pcb and alps :)

I don't think it will be, If I am not mistaken the PCB shape is different and the USB placement. There been FC660M cases run just never a FC660C and I know the FC660M is not compatible with the FC660C.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 20:50:34 »
WHEN WILL THE SPENDING STOP!?

survey done :D

No, different sizes and all. Though if you want a high-quality aluminum case for the FC660M, there's already this choice (Typing on one right now. It's great).

Offline mpalen19

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 20:53:25 »
Really looking forward to this. Count me in! :thumb:
Leopold FC660C / Norbatouch / Realforce 87U /  KUL ES-87 / Rama M60-A / Fjell

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 21:02:47 »
Also, funny thought: Anyone else use their FC660C as a travel board? This case is gonna change the whole dynamic of my keyboard line-up 🙂

I've been using it as my travel board since I got it but I can't help but feel the pull of a THICC metal case like this. Already built a low weight aluminum 60% with mx blacks in anticipation for the day that I'll have to abandon my fc660c to a life on my desk.  :))

Offline hervuli

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 21:08:14 »
Definitely in for this, although confirmation that it's compatible with Hasu's controller would be great. Beautiful work as always!
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 21:19:10 »
100% in for this. Thanks!

Offline omjak

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 21:49:11 »
Love the design! 
It does look tall-ish (but the keys also look slightly recessed into the case?)  I'm thinking if the distance from desk surface to top of the keys is higher than the stock model, the risers might be beneficial to adjust the angle for those with shorter reach (small hands, shorter fingers.)  On the survey, I opted out from the risers w/o considering this at the time; so if the cost of the risers would make a significant dent in the final cost of the case, I would not mind getting them as an additional $ option.

Colors wise; considering the very limited keycap options to match the case, I really love the Motorsport Yellow!  Is it safe to assume that the custom powder coat options would be limited to the previously offered on Norbatouch/Norbaforce? or expanded to say... anyone's imagination?

Logo looks good!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:03:18 »
looks great

glad to finally see this coming closer to fruition
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 00:10:15 »
Yes! So happy to hear about this. Definitely looks tall, but exactly how tall is it? How does it compare to the norbatouch? Would love another space station white option, but the gray looks great too, and black sounds nice as well.

Gotta admit, was kind of hoping for a more slim option but Norb you always make such excellent products that I know I'll love it. Totally in. Might have to factor in a tall wrist rest for my travel setup :P
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline objex

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 01:37:20 »
I was previously 100% in, but I won't be with the logo in its current state. :( For me to buy it the branding would have to be, at the very most, nearly invisible - like the capacitance formula on the original black case, or possibly recessed into the aluminum with no added colors like rama's stuff.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 02:02:16 »
I was previously 100% in, but I won't be with the logo in its current state. :( For me to buy it the branding would have to be, at the very most, nearly invisible - like the capacitance formula on the original black case, or possibly recessed into the aluminum with no added colors like rama's stuff.

I am also a bit mixed about the branding .. given its not enough to stop me from buying.. just it looks out of place.. perhaps having the logo milled into the bottom plate would be better? Also another suggestion I was curious about is the Brass plate set in stone or would it be possible to get a lighter aluminum plate as a option. I am just not sure if I desire my FC660C to weight close to 5 lbs. Also I think about price I know expensive but if this thing comes in more expensive then the last project I most likely be out due to cost.

Offline FSund

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 03:19:49 »
I probably won't be joining this, as the FC660C doesn't come in a ISO variant, but I had a thought regarding the logo. What about having it on the brass plate, instead of on the back? That way it will match the approach of having a logo on the inside of a blazer -- only visible if you go looking for it. If the plate is reversible (?) one could even hide the logo completely by flipping the plate.

I know making more hardware versions will increase cost and add further complexities to the production, so I'm not going to suggest making two versions of the case (one with, and one without the logo on the back).
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline Sharku

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 04:24:46 »
whoever buys this keyboard looks, among other things, for a small size and portability, I think that with this design loses those qualities.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 04:39:29 »
whoever buys this keyboard looks, among other things, for a small size and portability, I think that with this design loses those qualities.

Eh, not everyone. I found the Realforce's 55g domes way too heavy, and since I also can't into the HHKB's layout, the FC660C is the best Topre board for me. Portability is just a nice plus.

Offline derzemel

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 05:28:13 »
I do not have anything against the logo, I actually think it is a nice touch, if done correctly.
But, I would like also to have the Capacitance formula printed somewhere (ideally in the same place as the FC660C case)

Also, in the prototype images above, I did not see the the cut out in the bottom plate for the DIP switches (original controller)/reset button(Hasu's controller). I hope that will not be the case for the later models.

One thing that bothers me though, is the sides. They seem way too thick/wide. They look as wide as a 1u keycap. But this might be just a personal preference as I dislike Mekanisk Fjell, Rama M65, KbdFans 5°, etc. for this reason.

Regarding hasu's controller, it looks like it has the same, or very close to the size of the normal FC660C controller. I have one and I remember putting them one on top the other and they looked identical in size.
Here is a link to a video where the 2 controllers are next to each other
You could ask Hasu for confirmation though.

Anyway, I understand that this is a first step and some things may change along the way

Offline Sharku

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 06:00:37 »

One thing that bothers me though, is the sides. They seem way too thick/wide. They look as wide as a 1u keycap. But this might be just a personal preference as I dislike Mekanisk Fjell, Rama M65, KbdFans 5°, etc. for this reason.

I agree with the thickness, thinner is more elegant, more minimalist and supposedly less heavy

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 06:55:24 »
I really like the makers mark in this design. I already associate anything Norbauer with quality and thus am proud to have his branding present. Its like a blade master marking his knife, the brand is almost always readily visible even if the design itself makes it apparent who forged the blade.