Author Topic: COFFEE THREAD  (Read 80264 times)

Offline noorejji

Re: COFFEE THREAD
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 19:51:25 »
I think I've heard that the bloom doesn't happen unless the beans are fresh too, but I don't think I've actually observed that. I'm just guessing the most important factor is how recently they were ground, and less so when they were roasted or when the bag was opened.
Blooming is when the ground coffee releases carbon dioxide from coming in contact with hot water. Coffee beans constantly release CO2 after being roasted, just slowly. If stored properly, even slower. Freshly ground coffee straight out of the roastery will bloom like crazy, while stale preground coffee not so much. Same with crema on espresso.

Where does one buy raw beans?
On a website. But I leave that sort of thing to the pros.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #301 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 21:43:56 »
You can also get raw beans by writing to importers. I did this once and they sent me a buncha samples of super high quality unroasted geisha heirloom beans I couldn't do anything with. Usually they distribute to coffee shops, but even very small ones. I said I was a 'micro-roaster' and that was good enough for them ;)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #302 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 11:56:44 »
Any recommandation for a full auto coffee machine? Wife doesn't want a semi-auto + grinder on the side, she wants the convenience of a full auto. We had a Krups EA810570 full auto or a very similar Krups (don't remember the exact ref) but it broke badly after two years (started badly leaking water and I couldn't find the problem and won't fix it / have it fixed: it's going to make some better DIYer than me happy).

Should I just go for a Jura full auto? Or would a cheap Delonghi work well enough?

I'm not exactly a coffee snob: but I do prefer a full auto machine to, say, Nespresso capsule. I do have a Moka press as backup but I prefer a full auto for day to day use.

Cheap as in "in six months' time it's going to be cheaper than buying Nespresso capsule so it'll paid itself" is better than "pricey and shall break anyway after two years too" (which is why I'm not too keen on putting 650 EUR+ on a Jura).

Any idea?
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline noorejji

« Reply #303 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 15:13:48 »
I was in a similar situation a few years ago with a broken capsule machine: do I a) buy a new capsule machine, or b) go balls to the walls with a proper semi-auto + coffee grinder. I did the maths on capsules vs coffee beans, and I found that I had to buy incredibly cheap coffee beans and use frugal doses for the coffee beans to even match the capsules in terms of cost per cup. My point is that getting a return on your investment seems unlikely no matter what, so you probably shouldn't base your purchasing decision on that - and rather just go for the best you can get in a given budget.

In any case I'd look into Breville/Sage's The Barista Express. It's not fully automatic in the sense that you get your coffee simply by pushing a button, but it has a built-in grinder and it's fairly compact. You sort of get the best of both worlds I suppose; it would just be a matter of convincing your wife so. Other than that I have no clue what makes for a good fully automatic, but you generally get what you pay for.

In case you're wondering which approach I took, I'll just say that I recently placed a $1750 order on a coffee grinder. I'm telling you, every single hobby is a rabbit hole to some extent.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2021, 15:23:13 by noorejji »

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #304 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 17:29:38 »
I did the maths on capsules vs coffee beans, and I found that I had to buy incredibly cheap coffee beans and use frugal doses for the coffee beans to even match the capsules in terms of cost per cup.

That's weird: but then both the wife and I work from home and drink a lot of coffee. We did the maths and coffee beans were not just a bit but a lot cheaper. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the quality of the coffee beans and maybe I was also buying "official" Nespresso capsules, dunno. I mean: Nespresso or Starbucks capsule go from, what 20 cents (EUR) to 60 cents (EUR) per capsule? (for good brands I mean, not the cheapest ones). At easily 8 coffee per day at home every day, that quickly adds up to (very very very ballpark) 500 EUR to 1 500 EUR of capsules per year. I don't think we're anywhere near that with coffee grains but I should recheck: I remember reading it was much cheaper and doing the test with the first pack of coffee beans we bought then never looked into it again. I'll redo the math.

I'll look reviews of these Barista Express (I remember seeing these suggested while I was looking), thanks for the suggestion.

In case you're wondering which approach I took, I'll just say that I recently placed a $1750 order on a coffee grinder. I'm telling you, every single hobby is a rabbit hole to some extent.

Oh I know. That's why I cannot make everything a hobby!
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #305 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 17:45:59 »
I recently placed a $1750 order on a coffee grinder.

What the actual ****. You just got ripped off big time my friend.

That's nearly 2 months of rent for me, this guy is buying coffee grinders  :rolleyes:

Offline noorejji

« Reply #306 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 18:32:18 »
I did the maths on capsules vs coffee beans, and I found that I had to buy incredibly cheap coffee beans and use frugal doses for the coffee beans to even match the capsules in terms of cost per cup.
That's weird: but then both the wife and I work from home and drink a lot of coffee. We did the maths and coffee beans were not just a bit but a lot cheaper. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the quality of the coffee beans and maybe I was also buying "official" Nespresso capsules, dunno. I mean: Nespresso or Starbucks capsule go from, what 20 cents (EUR) to 60 cents (EUR) per capsule? (for good brands I mean, not the cheapest ones). At easily 8 coffee per day at home every day, that quickly adds up to (very very very ballpark) 500 EUR to 1 500 EUR of capsules per year. I don't think we're anywhere near that with coffee grains but I should recheck: I remember reading it was much cheaper and doing the test with the first pack of coffee beans we bought then never looked into it again. I'll redo the math.
I should add that YMMV depending on domestic pricing and such. I didn't use Nespresso and I don't buy coffee beans in bulk; that alone might make up the difference. In any case to me it sounds like you'd be happier with a proper coffee machine, so I wouldn't worry too much about the maths. My dad switched from an expensive Miele fully automatic coffee machine to a Nespresso, and I honestly don't understand why. To me the capsules taste like smoky dishwater, and would pick cheap workplace filter coffee any day.

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #307 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 13:51:13 »
You can also get raw beans by writing to importers. I did this once and they sent me a buncha samples of super high quality unroasted geisha heirloom beans I couldn't do anything with. Usually they distribute to coffee shops, but even very small ones. I said I was a 'micro-roaster' and that was good enough for them ;)
Speaking of micro-roasters, what are your usual coffee haunts? You and I live in the same city and I'm always up for trying something different. My favorite has always been Vespr, in Waterford Lakes, ever since my first visit years ago. They recently changed owners and it seems like the quality dropped a bit...kinda sad. Lineage and Foxtail are my usual go-to java joints around Winter Park. And of course all of the Vietnamese places around here have excellent iced coffee  ;)
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #308 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 00:05:59 »

I use an aeropress and local beans, medium roast.    :cool:

Offline jacobalbertus1

« Reply #309 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 13:44:40 »
the way i like my coffe is either iced or hot black with some 1/2 and 1/2 or a shot of coffee mate i don't do Starbucks fancy crap it makes me feal sluggish and tierd
Model f 122 USB industrial paint (daily), model f xt inbox almost nos Ellipse approved, NOS model m ssk , Model F 77 for class (special needs I was told I had to use a mech or a key beeper by the school) model m 1391401 silver label ( this was a factory messup where they stuck a 139101 sticker on it and sent it with a ps/2) model m 1390131 model m unicomp industrial case modded  and a model f at